Insanity, P90X lean, 30DS, or Ripped in 30?

Options
I'm 215 lbs. I started training for a marathon 2 weeks ago. I just started upping my caloric intake to keep my body out of starvation mode and refueled. I drink a ton of water. My lower body is strong, but I'm not as fast as I once was. I'm pretty sure it is due to the spare tire around my waste. I need to lose weight and strengthen my core to become faster.

I have the "Insanity", "P90X", "30DS", and "Ripped in 30 days" dvds. I just don't know which one I should do. I have tried P90X for about 2 weeks, but couldn't do much of the pushups, pullups, or chinups due to lack of upper body strength. I wouldn't be opposed to building that muscle group up, but would like to do so and not feel bad about myself.

I am currently running 3 miles Tuesday, 4 miles Wednesday, 3 miles Thursday and 9 miles Saturday, with off days on Friday and Sunday and Cross-training on Mondays.

Which workout would you suggest? Should I only do it on my cross training days or everyday?

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Insanity has helped with marathon runners! i know it has helped me run longer!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i couldn't do any push ups or pull ups when i started p90x, either. if you stick with it, you will be able to! i need the push ups on my knees for a WHILE and for pull ups, i would just connect a resistance band to the top of a door. (i don't have any experience with the others, but insanity is, well, INSANE. haha)
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Insanity is great for strengthening your legs. I love it!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS and have like 0 upper body strength. I didn't think I could do P90X, so I started with 30DS to build up my muscles a bit. 30DS does have a few push ups, but no pullups/chinups.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    as I'm training for a Tri I'm also doing the p90x core synergystics dvd 2x a week to strengthen my core to help with my form for all the other disciples. :)
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're training for a marathon than I would definitely recommend Insanity for the massive amounts of cardio you'll be getting. I'm sure the strength training in the P90X program couldn't hurt but you'll probably benefit from the endurance training of Insanity more. If you'd like a bit of strength training you may toss in the Legs and Back routine from P90X into your program. Good luck on your training!
  • krazykristi
    Options
    insanity!!!!!
    my boyfriend said p90x for muscle
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I was trained for my marathon a couple months ago, I cross trained with several of Jillian Michaels DVDs - Ripped in 30, Yoga Meltdown and Shred It With Weights. It sped up my recovery and increased my endurance.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    Insanity is great for strengthening your legs. I love it!

It's not my legs I need to strengthen, it's my stomach/abs, my back, my chest and my arms. I just need to tone my legs and lose weight,fat and inches.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    it's my stomach/abs, my back, my chest and my arms.

That's all that's sore for me after 30DS. Seriously. My arms have been like noodles all day after my first 30DS workout yesterday lol
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X, Insanity and Insanity Asylum and would recommend Insanity to help you out with what you want. I ran my first half maraton and I can tell you that before Insanity - I would have NEVER been able to do that!