New to weight training

Options
I am looking for some advice on how heavy I should start for a new home free weight program. It's a 30 min circuit for full body. I exercise regularly and usually do higher reps of lower weights, but more incorporated into an aerobic workout (such as The Firm workouts). Is it a good guideline that I should "burn out" by the end of a 30 sec session to know if it's the right weight? this is totally foreign to me. I can easily squat holding 8-10 lbs and I can bicep curl 8 lbs for many reps if that is helpful. Any tips to start out? Thanks!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason Livefit trainer, Strong Curves, Stronglifts 5x5.

• KyraWilliamsFitness
    Options
    If you are following a program it should give you the number of sets and reps to do (volume.) then based on that, choose your weight. If you're doing 3x10 chest press and 10's and too light and you could do more reps, but you can do all 3x10 with 20's then use 15's. You should be able to handle all the volume but be challenged by the end of the sets.
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I really recommend an established program like All Pro's, Icecream fitness, 5x5, starting strength, etc. Google will turn up tons of results. If its not a full body routine filled almost entirely with compound lifts, its not a good program. Until you REALLY learn the ins and outs (ie: a few years of seeing progress and lifting consistently) you should stick to them. People do themselves a disservice by constantly making changes to programs and not sticking to them long enough to see results. Or worse, doing some bro split out of a magazine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with SL 5x5.

To build strength you need to up the weights and low reps
    To preserve muscle mass any form of resistance training is good.