Kayaking 5K - How to train?

Options
So far this year, I did one 5K and one mud run. My 5K was not stellar at 50:58 and I was #122 out of 139. I did train for it, but was only able to reach 30 minutes on the treadmill so endurance is definitely an issue for me. I recently did a mud run which was more like a rigorous hike with crossing back and forth over the creek for the "mud." I was only able to make it to the halfway point because I was completely winded.

In a month, I've signed myself up for a kayaking 5K. Half of it will be upstream, the second half is downstream. Given endurance is an issue for me and I haven't been in my kayak in two years, what do you suggest is best for training? I was thinking if I could get out for at least an hour once a week that would help prepare me. I'm sure my arms and core are going to be sore. Ideas?

Shannon

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Do they have a C25Kayak program? I honestly don't know what you would do other than getting out in a kayak and trying it.
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon,
    Congratulations for "taking the plunge" and signing up for a kayak 5K!
    I find that focusing on using my back muscles (lats) and core—not my arms—is the key to paddling easily.

Do you have access to an UPSTREAM body of water on which to practice? Other than getting out on the water and getting comfortable leading up to the event, you might consider doing some exercises that work your back and shoulder muscles...not necessarily for the event itself, but for kayaking in general. Keep it FUN.
    Also...remember to keep a loose grip on the paddle. Your wrists will thank you.

ENJOY and best of luck to you!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    We actually have a decent sized creek right in our back yard. I just haven't used my kayak in a while as we have a toddler I don't feel comfortable taking out on outings yet. Thanks for the wrist reminder. I do know I tend to hold on to dear life to the paddle, which does contribute to exhaustion after a while.

Not sure if there is a C25 Kayaking program. I found this one when I googled it, but it makes expressly clear it is NOT for beginners, which I am. I suppose I could adapt it though:

http://gearreportcards.com/kayak-race-training-plan/

Shannon
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Do they have a C25Kayak program? I honestly don't know what you would do other than getting out in a kayak and trying it.

:laugh:
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This looks like a pretty intense program to me and seems geared for someone who is really, really competing to WIN. The exercises are great in that they do focus on back, shoulder, core strength, but, yeah, I think some serious modifications would be in order. Especially since you haven't kayaked for a while. Have fun with your training, get on the water as much as you can (it's great that you have access to a nearby creek). It wouldn't help you to hurt yourself on working out before the actual 5K...
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I find doing High Intensive Interval Training (HIIT) (I do crossfit but there is many different ways to do HIIT) has helped me amazingly with running/biking and rowing (sculling) and endurance in general. I only run about once every ten days because of my knees, but I have completed two 5 ks this spring, and felt great, purely through increasing my endurance. I don't do kayaking but rowing is kinda comparable (but uses legs as well as arms). I also lift weights and do ab work which helps with everything too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you considered preparing for one of your events? Or maybe sticking to events for which you are prepared?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not trying to WIN the 5K... just complete it successfully and NOT be in last place in the process. :-) This program looks pretty tough to me. I've never heard of HIIT before. I'll have to see what videos they have on YouTube and give it a try.

How far ahead SHOULD one prepare? Most C25K programs are six weeks. So, I usually give myself that amount of time. However, I have a super hectic schedule right now, with teaching, a toddler, plus I'm taking college classes, so I get derailed sometimes. I always feel like I completely only half a program before race day actually starts.

Shannon