Most filling brand of oats (UK)

Options
Hi,

I am currently eating Scott's Porage Oats Old Fashioned, usually topped with 100g banana and 10g honey. Its reall tasty and i like it, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that is more filling.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like Sainsbury's So Organic brand - made with milk and a slurp of evaporated milk.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Could you add some fat and protein to improve your satiety? Nuts and Greek yoghurt (one of the 10g protein to 100g types, the Icelandic Skyr being the cheapest at the moment)?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am currently eating Scott's Porage Oats Old Fashioned, usually topped with 100g banana and 10g honey. Its reall tasty and i like it, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that is more filling.

Fuel 10k protioats, they have added protein so keep me going longer than normal porridge.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Unless, as above, you're going to buy fortified proats or such like, then oats are oats are oats. It's what you make them with or add to them that's going to give you the extra fullness.

I just buy the biggest cheapest bag I can find at the time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever's cheapest in terms of porridge oats, mix in a load of larger rolled oats, rye flakes, barley flakes and whatever else my deli has that is not extortionately priced, throw in some pumpkin seeds, linseed and sunflower seeds (Aldi/Lidl do a mix), dried fruit etc. soak overnight with water then heat in the morning, adding fruit and greek yoghurt (or Skyr if I can get it).

It's pretty filling.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oats are just oats here. I eat it pretty much every day and my current favorite combo is-one serving of quick oats, one pkt of flavored instant oats, one serving of Bear Naked granola (love their new flavor-sea salt caramel apple), and then some ground flax seed. After the water boils I mix it all together and simmer for a minute and that's it! A really filling combo that's around 420 calories. I'm currently eating it for suppers most nights right now :)
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Agreed I think oats are the same, unless other things are added by the manufacturer. I'd rather add my own ingredients like banana, berries, nuts, flaxseed, honey etc
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Also, here's a blog that has oodles of oats recipes-
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/recipe-index/recipe-list-a-z/

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to give me your suggestions all. Much appreciated. I will try different topping combos with what I have left of the packet I have, then try the proats as they sound interesting with the extra protein.
  • dc1arkson
    dc1arkson Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Asda sell Jordan oats chunky oats and they're huge and not ground down!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think oats are much of a muchness. I usually add a scoop of protein powder and PB2, plus it'll help if you use full cream milk for extra fat and protein.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    I think oats are much of a muchness. I usually add a scoop of protein powder and PB2, plus it'll help if you use full cream milk for extra fat and protein.

BF tried with protein powder and swore he would never do it again so I never tried. Is it as bad as he made out? Or did he just do it wrong? He added the powder before nuking the oats. Should it be added after?

I tried adding 50g or Skyr this morning. Made the oats taste sour, but not unbearably so. I will see how that helps with satiety.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

BF tried with protein powder and swore he would never do it again so I never tried. Is it as bad as he made out? Or did he just do it wrong? He added the powder before nuking the oats. Should it be added after?

I tried adding 50g or Skyr this morning. Made the oats taste sour, but not unbearably so. I will see how that helps with satiety.

I've never had a problem mixing in protein powder. I add the oats and milk to the bowl and then the scoop of powder and mix till there's no lumps, and then microwave.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    Tried the protein powder mixed in this morning... I am afraid I'm going to have to side with bf on this one. My stomach is not a fan. Also did something really weird to the texture with hard lumpy bits forming.

Worth a try though. :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Mix your protein powder with a small amount of cold water first, then add it after cooking the oats.
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Mix your protein powder with a small amount of cold water first, then add it after cooking the oats.

Alrighty, il give it a go! I think my error this morning was heating up the powder.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just buy scotts old fashioned porage oats, so same as you :)

But it's just because I like the texture and it's usually on offer, 2 for £3. I agree that oats are oats are oats. The only exception is ready brek. That stuff is awful.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also want to add that I've also failed at the protein powder + oats thing. Could be the brand I buy, but it's just horrible mixed with porridge. Now if I need extra protein with my oats then I simply have scrambled eggs on the side, or just drink the protein powder as a shake lol
  • Mistraal1981
    Options
    I think I have mastered the added protein powder! Sprinkle on after the oats have microwaved, then mix in! I'm rubbish in the kitchen so this feels like a real victory☺

Sadly, it didn't really keep me full for any longer.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oats is oats. Rolled or cut, either way, it's just a commodity. Steel cut is best. I buy in bulk.