HELP! Low carb/ sugar diet

Options
So I started a very low carb and very low sugar diet. I'm on week two. Last week I felt ok, little sluggish at times but then this week I feel so sick. I'm extremely nauseated, my stomach hurts all over, I get the sweets randomly, and my lower back hurts at times. I almost feel like I have the flu bug or how you feel when your just getting over it. My energy isn't bad I get up between 6&7 with the kids and go to bed around 11. I have no cravings either. Can a ketosis or low carb last longer than a few days? This started maybe Friday or Saturday. I also haven't ate as much fat as last week I don't think. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Salt, more salt. 2-3 grams a day. You're having some adapting to change fuel source but symptoms of lower blood pressure are expected.
  • zachska87
    zachska87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yarwell is right. In ketosis, your body flushes electrolytes much more rapidly. You will ESPECIALLY need potassium. You can make your own Gatorade-like beverage at home with NoSalt (a potassium salt) and some water flavor drops. It's not a terrible taste, either. Make sure you're getting at a minimum 2000mg of potassium a way, and 3000mg or more of sodium.

Also be aware of calcium, magnesium, and other electrolytes. Most of the others you can get readily from some fresh, low carb veggies...but you'll likely need to supplement potassium and magnesium.

Magnesium you can get a pill for. Potassium you'll need either LoSalt, NoSalt, or interestingly enough the Vitamin Water Revive Zero has 880mg per bottle. Potassium supplements are limited to about 99mg by law, so they're pretty much worthless for you unfortunately.

Also make sure to drink way more water than normal as well. Your body doesn't need the extra water it usually holds to process glucose so you may dehydrate a bit faster.

I've lost 25 pounds on Keto so far and I'm still learning. There are some great communities to help, like reddit.com/r/keto and others. The ruled.me blog is a great resource as well.

Stick with it! You'll feel great if you limit the carbs and watch your electrolytes! Electrolyte balance is the secret to keto and it takes some time to get used to! :-D
  • lane_12
    lane_12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So this is more a lack of sodium symptoms?
  • zachska87
    zachska87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sort of...it's likely not just sodium. All electrolytes! You need a balance of all of them. If you're only adding more table salt, then you're missing potassium, magnesium, and more.
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definitely keto flu cause by lack of electrolytes. Do all that zachska87 said and you'll be golden.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yep - electrolyte imbalance. Try drinking a salty broth a few times per day, salt your food, or consider salting some water (with a teaspoon of salt) or take a salt tablet.

Potassium and magnesium don't need a lot of supplementing unless you let your sodium stay low. When sodium is low your body will leach out K and Mg to make up the difference. If salt is in balance, you won't need much Mg or K.

And beware of magnesium oxide. It will act as a very very effective laxative. Use magnesium citrate instead.

Good luck! :)
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I did this. Had the stomach cramps so bad I ended up in the ER. Ate a breakfast biscuit and felt better than I had in weeks. I will never do low carb again. I've lost 17lbs eating carbs.