How many calories burned doing 650 kettlebell swings

Options
Wondering if anyone could estimate calories burned for a 237 pound man swinging an 18 kg kettlebell 650 times in 45 min?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i would probably estimate that the same amount as if you walked for 45 minutes.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 3.5 and 7 net METs, depending on intensity (a MET being your resting calorie burn).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't think swinging is in the database.... :)

What does logging 45 minutes of "strength training" give you?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i dunno, 12 -15 cals per minute, something in that range? but it only takes me a handful of minutes to do 400-500 swings, so if they were spread out over 45 minutes i have no idea how you'd calculate because i don't know how many you did over what actual time period of work.
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Im swinging so much because it seems to be absolutely torching calories for me. I just dont know how many but i am losing weight quite rapidly. Ive been doing 600 swings a day 7 days a week for more than a month. Its not even that hard anymore. I could probably do 1000 a day with a 24 kg kettlebell but the gym i go to doesnt have heavier than 18 kg. Im an ex compedative swimmer who was morbidly obese at 5 foot 11 300 lbs. Ive lost 63 pounds in 4 months and a staple of my workout is swings. The monotony of them doesnt bother me at all considering i used to swim multiple miles per day and couldnt even listen to music at all.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    1) I would up the weight before starting to do 1000 swings
    2) Heart rate monitor. They are awesome.

Grats on the progress =)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Im swinging so much because it seems to be absolutely torching calories for me. I just dont know how many but i am losing weight quite rapidly. Ive been doing 600 swings a day 7 days a week for more than a month. Its not even that hard anymore. I could probably do 1000 a day with a 24 kg kettlebell but the gym i go to doesnt have heavier than 18 kg. Im an ex compedative swimmer who was morbidly obese at 5 foot 11 300 lbs. Ive lost 63 pounds in 4 months and a staple of my workout is swings. The monotony of them doesnt bother me at all considering i used to swim multiple miles per day and couldnt even listen to music at all.

If you are logging accurately, you can figure out how many calories you are burning. Take a week and do some math:
    weight lost in pounds over that week x 3500. Then take that number - your total calorie intake for the week. Divide that number by 7. That is how much you are expending more than you are eating each day. You can do it for the past 4 weeks and take an average. It won't specifically tell you the workout because it will include all your other activity, but it's far more accurate than any calculator estimations or guesses from random users.
  • derek1237654
    Options
    From everything ive read swinging is a full body workout. That is cardio and strength combined. Supposedly it builds muscle in posterior chain as well as abs. I think the only thing it doesnt hit is arms (with the exception of forearms because swinging works grip) and chest. I would highly recommend it for someone who wants to lose fat and gain some muscle (im not saying youll get huge doing it but as an addition to other heavier isolation excercises it seems to be working fantastic for me). I would focus on the few basic kettlebell moves and not get too fancy at first.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You could alternate some snatches and other kettle bell moves to target more muscles -- but hey, you are doing great. I love kettle bells for the reason everyone has been saying, because they are highly aerobic and also like weights. We frequently do them as part of our high intensity interval training at crossfit.
  • dxlee7
    dxlee7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it with a heart rate monitor like Fitbit and connecting it to your phone using the under armor record app? It kind of shows the calorie burn when you lift. I don't think it's that accurate though
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

If you are logging accurately, you can figure out how many calories you are burning. Take a week and do some math:
    weight lost in pounds over that week x 3500. Then take that number - your total calorie intake for the week. Divide that number by 7. That is how much you are expending more than you are eating each day. You can do it for the past 4 weeks and take an average. It won't specifically tell you the workout because it will include all your other activity, but it's far more accurate than any calculator estimations or guesses from random users.

^Y so much cardio?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

^Y so much cardio?

xtra calorie burn?
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    rough estimate would be 400-500 kcals
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »

So it's more of a cardio then? If not what does it work out? I'm just wondering because I see a lot of people swinging kettle bells at my gym

https://www.t-nation.com/training/are-heavy-kettlebell-swings-better-than-deadlifts

https://www.t-nation.com/training/ten-thousand-swings-to-fat-loss
  • derek1237654
    Options
    Yah im trying to find an efficient excercise for extra calorie burn
  • derek1237654
    Options
    According to this article i read on breaking muscle.com ...just google 947 calories kettlebell swing.....300 swings can burn up to 947 calories with a 24 kg bell. How could they overestimate by a factor of like 4 or ? Thats just nuts!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    According to this article i read on breaking muscle.com ...just google 947 calories kettlebell swing.....300 swings can burn up to 947 calories with a 24 kg bell. How could they overestimate by a factor of like 4 or ? Thats just nuts!

(1) it's click bait (2) up to gives them all kinds of latitude to puff up the numbers
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    650 swings in 45 min is like 4 seconds per swing. So there is some down time there. Kettlebell swings, esp at a steady-state pace, skew the heart rate/VO2 relationship so that heart rate goes up disproportionately (e.g. HR may reach 85% of max, while VO2 is 62%). So you often are not burning as much as you think.

I did a quick check of some research and am revising my estimate down to 6 METs. At 107.7 kg, that works out to 646 per hour, or 485 for a 45 min workout. If you can't get a heavier kettlebell, you might want to consider doing some intervals, where you go for a higher number of swings/min and incorporate rest intervals.

I would say, however, that what you are doing is mostly cardio. The strength gains are modest at best, esp with just an 18kg bell. Any strength increase would only be what you needed to have to adapt to the resistance of the kettle bell swing, and you plateaued on that a long time ago.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We do KBS all the time for CrossFit and it's definitely a cardio/strength exercise. I agree with what someone else said and add that going heavier, with a bit fewer reps, will probably provide better overall results. Or change it up, go light some days, and heavier other days (if you have more than one bell).

I assume these are basic Russian swings? That is you go to parallel at eye level? With your weight, and the pace you're going, I'd guess you are burning 750-1,000 calories pretty easy.

If you're talking American swings (all the way to straight overhead) then it could be a bit more.