18 lbs in 6 months. Success?

Options
18 lbs in six months? That's a mere 3 lbs per month. Big success? During these past six months it often felt quite the opposite. It went down. It went up. It went up again. Then up and up. Then down but up again.

This journey has felt excruciatingly slow and frustrating. And the diet is very restrictive, leaving me wondering if I could stick. Clinging to the hope of cheat day and allowing for very occasional and (usually planned) other cheat allowances has been been on one hand a godsend. On the other hand, that small self-deprecating voice would often scream, "You're going to FAIL again!" But I didn't listen.

Instead, I listened to the words I had used to explain to my 5 year old granddaughter why I couldn't eat strawberries (because, Grandmother, they ARE good for you!): as grown ups we get to decide how our body looks and how it feels and this diet is helping me to reconstruct my body so that it works best for me. This became my aha moment, my reason to continue even when it felt like it wasn't going to work.

18 lbs is 2 lbs shy of 1/5 or 20% of my goal. (Yes, I'm sure you can do the math -I just like he way it looks!) Not good enough? Not fast enough? Well, maybe for some folks but for me, I'm thrilled!

If you're feeling discouraged please give yourself the credit for showing up. Give yourself the recognition you deserve for the journey, the ups and downs, the good days and bad. Find the strength to continue in because your body is worth it.

You are worth it.

Replies

• KyraWilliamsFitness
    Options
    Good for you! Who cares how log it's taken you? YOU LOST 18 LBS!!!!
  • pijensen61
    pijensen61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me it's not always fast..we're making healthy changes we don't always see on the outside. Last night I felt hungry, but had eaten all my food..I went to bed early, and I had a dream I was eating out of control...french fries, burgers, ice cream, etc., telling myself I'll get back to healthy eating tomorrow. I was so relieved to wake up knowing I hadn't eaten like I used to!
  • SassyRN_77
    SassyRN_77 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!! That is fantastic... And thanks for posting:) #easilydiscouraged
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Better down than up! I will take the 18 lbs down any day over doing nothing about it. I think that is good progress. :)
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I think it's even harder to stay the course when the progress is so slow. But you did it!
  • paulajobelle
    paulajobelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    well done and I always tell myself that I did not put the weight on overnight so I cannot expect it to come off fast either! Don't give up and know that you will get where you want to be.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good work! I believe it's actually harder and requires more discipline to lose the weight slowly. Pretty well anyone can crash diet for a few weeks.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have about 18 left to lose and its frustrating to see the scale go down - go up - go down, can't get discouraged though because the up and up and up is not going to happen ever again!
  • Acal01
    Acal01 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    18 lbs in six months? That's a mere 3 lbs per month. Big success? During these past six months it often felt quite the opposite. It went down. It went up. It went up again. Then up and up. Then down but up again.

This journey has felt excruciatingly slow and frustrating. And the diet is very restrictive, leaving me wondering if I could stick. Clinging to the hope of cheat day and allowing for very occasional and (usually planned) other cheat allowances has been been on one hand a godsend. On the other hand, that small self-deprecating voice would often scream, "You're going to FAIL again!" But I didn't listen.

Instead, I listened to the words I had used to explain to my 5 year old granddaughter why I couldn't eat strawberries (because, Grandmother, they ARE good for you!): as grown ups we get to decide how our body looks and how it feels and this diet is helping me to reconstruct my body so that it works best for me. This became my aha moment, my reason to continue even when it felt like it wasn't going to work.

18 lbs is 2 lbs shy of 1/5 or 20% of my goal. (Yes, I'm sure you can do the math -I just like he way it looks!) Not good enough? Not fast enough? Well, maybe for some folks but for me, I'm thrilled!

If you're feeling discouraged please give yourself the credit for showing up. Give yourself the recognition you deserve for the journey, the ups and downs, the good days and bad. Find the strength to continue in because your body is worth it.

You are worth it.

Have you seen how one pound of fat looks like? Do you know how big it looks? Look it up. I think you should feel proud, very proud. Keep up the good work.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You are losing :) And that is better than gaining, or not doing anything and staying the same.

Keep it up! You will find what works best for you, and what you end up being most comfortable with. Who cares if it takes you a long time to lose? You are LOSING! Besides...the slower you lose can help with less loose skin. =p
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Keep going. 18 lbs in 6 months is way better than maintaining or gaining. You should be seeing what does and doesn't work. Or maybe your body is just adjusting. I lost 30 in 2014 and know I could do better. That was mostly with eliminating soda(usually I only had one can in morning anyway) but I was also increased on Metformin(insulin resistant and prediabetic) which seemed to help me lose at first. 2015 I spent gaining and losing the same 5 lbs I feel. ahh I was not consistent with anything.

So my friend asked if I wanted to join the gym with her since she joined back on the 5th. I had been looking at them so finally just did it. Not even a week in and feeling great and more endurance. So ready to see much more success. I know you will too.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs. From January 2015 to April of 2016 and I am happy with it we could always wish we lost more but we will in due time. I am happy that you lost the 18 lbs. it is a good start. But I am a very slow loser but at least we are losing!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That's my pace too, but I only track my food during the week-Saturdays and Sundays I'm probably closer to 2500-3500 calories, but it keeps me sane, and if I lose 35 pounds this year, I'll take it!!! That will put me at my goal weight in one year after 10 years of being overweight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!