Vegetables

Options
Hey guys do you count calories for your vegetables? I don't unless they are things like a sweet potatoe. Should I tho?

Replies

• evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    They have calories so you should track them. I can munch 200 calories of veggies throughout a day.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I'm logging consistently and accurately (which is most of the time), I count everything. Even low-cal vegetables add up and can put you above a calorie deficit if you're not paying attention.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yep pretty much everything by grams. the only thing I don't track by grams is lettuce/salad, I just use an estimate in number of cups (like 3 or 4 cups for a large salad) and still log it even if it is an estimate.
    I munch on baby carrots and cherry tomatoes and those are sometimes a few hundred calories at the end of the day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I track mine. But I try to keep my log as accurate as I can manage because I'm also tracking things like fiber, iron, and other micros. Plus I like to be able to go back through it and see what I was doing differently when things get hard.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I track mine. But I try to keep my log as accurate as I can manage because I'm also tracking things like fiber, iron, and other micros. Plus I like to be able to go back through it and see what I was doing differently when things get hard.

This is why I track mine as well. I like accurate data!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I track mine too. If it has calories, and you don't track it, and you have even the slightest fondness for eating food, you want to know you're not actually going over your count when you're assuming you still have 100 calories to go but you didn't because green beans and carrots.

Holy run on sentence batman.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    yes.unless it's one leaf of lettuce ,or one slice of cucumber or something of that kind.everything else i log.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yes- the majority of my calorie consumption is from vegetables. I even weight my salad individually.

Its just as easy to go over calories on veg as it is with cookies- if you aren't counting them- how do you know you are on track.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes, I count everything.

What if you've hit your calorie limit for the day, but you've left 250 calories of veggies unaccounted for. Say goodbye to your deficit if you're aiming to lose .5lbs a week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes. They have calories so I log them.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am not so strict with veg - if I have pre-logged 200g of broccoli then I am not going to start cutting pieces apart because it comes to 210g or worry about adding another piece if it comes to 190g when I get round to cooking it. But veg is the only thing I am like this with.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have recently been gaining on excess vegetables and fruit... So I'd say the calories from both are pretty crucial. :D
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yes.unless it's one leaf of lettuce ,or one slice of cucumber or something of that kind.everything else i log.

This. OP - Why wouldn't you want to know exactly how many calories you're eating if you are already logging fo this purpose?

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I track my fruits and vegetables. I use a scale and weigh them in grams. The are some items that are super low in calories, and some that are much higher. I like to know exactly where I stand.
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I enjoy counting them as it's encouraging to see how much bang I get for my calorie buck!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should count them. They aren't zero calorie.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They have calories. Your body counts them even if you don't.
  • Healthy4me4ever
    Healthy4me4ever Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I count everything. I love lots of veg and it's surprising how many calories they can add up to some days.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. In a typical day, I'll easily eat 400 calories in veggies.