Did counting calories make you more food adventurous?

Options
tapwaters
tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
I used to be a "cheeseburger, spread only" person. Then I went vegan and explored veggie alternatives, which did broaden my food choices. I still avoided actual vegetables like the plague.

It wasn't until I made the concerted effort to lose weight/eat healthy that I began to eat a wide variety of vegetables and try things I wouldn't otherwise, if only to get the biggest bang for my caloric buck.

Has anyone else been more gods adventurous lately?

Replies

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very much so. I get a lot of ideas from people on here and Youtube. I'm even loving foods I used to hate like nuts.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes. I call it a food adventure. I eat way more things now than I ever did before and I'm also more likely to try new foods.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I substituted quinoa for rice for the first time yesterday. Made avocado egg salad wrap, all in the name of eating healthy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The different ways of eating discussed on MFP did lead to changes in my WOE for sure.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, now that you mentioned it I realize how many new things I've tried on this journey. So many of the recipies and quick food ideas people have posted on mfp are very good too. :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same way as before, I just eat less of it :) I've always liked a wide variety of things, so not much has changed. I do eat more oatmeal now, just because it's an easy and filling base for other things (and super quick to put together as well).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    when im strict on my calories i actually eat very boring becauce its easier. I have however been a very adventurous eater my whole life eating a wide range of fruits, veggies, spices, ethnics, textures, meats ect.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Ya
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I started cooking a lot more because of it.
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sure did : )
  • SuzannefromtheSC
    SuzannefromtheSC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Counting calories helps me to enjoy my food more. I find myself eating slower and really tasting my food instead of just mindlessly eating in front of the tv. I'm hoping to also expand my fruit and vegetable choices and try some new ones. Any suggestions on some that are in season or will be soon?
  • spj108
    spj108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I seriously calorie count I eat so much better and feel I am getting the right nutrients my body needs also explore a greater variety of un processed foods. I now enjoy cooking alot more and exploring what is available with a little imagination.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Not in the slightest...be I've always been adventurous - spicy rabbit heads in Chengdu, fried scorpion at a Beijing night market, raw chicken in Osaka, raw horse in Matsumoto and Quebec,....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've always been somewhat food adventurous (but not that adventurous ^^ lol); the difference is that I don't feel bad about eating anything that could possibly contain anything "unhealthy" or constitute an "unhealthy" combination.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely. Thought I hated broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and brussels sprouts. Turns out I love them. But you'll never get me to let go of my hatred for raw tomatoes. I'm taking that to my grave. :smiley:
  • jillc1807
    jillc1807 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't think it made me more food adventurous in the aspect of trying new foods; as I've always been a pretty healthy/non picky eater, it did however make me more adventurous with the foods I already eat. For example, adding cottage cheese or an avocado in the blender to my smoothie, adding egg whites to my morning oatmeal, adding cottage cheese to my vanilla Greek yogurt and fruit and making zucchini and summer squash noodles. All things I love to eat already, just finding different ways to enjoy them.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No.