73 lb down, made it to Onederland!!

Options
forruths
forruths Posts: 196 Member
When I started this journey in August 2015 at 272lb this day seemed an impossibility. At 51 I found myself with debilitating pain in an arthritic knee, not able to do the things that make life worth living, out of breath and avoiding the stairs! My husband had died of cancer at the age of 48 four years earlier. Life pretty much sucked. Something had to change!

I started using MFP to log my food, and Fitbit to encourage me to move. It's not always been easy as I've struggled with my weight all my life, but it has always been simple-use more calories than you eat.

So today I find myself in a place I couldn't have imagined. Getting under 200lb is just icing on the cake. I feel healthier than I can ever remember (other than the darn knee!!). I walk regularly, go to the gym a couple of times a week, have tons more energy, get out in nature and up hills whenever I can. My mood is better, I'm more resilient when facing bumps in the road. The loss of my husband, my best friend, will always weigh heavy but I want to live my life in the way he would want me to.

This is only a step on my journey. I now look at reaching 100lbs lost and then I will reassess my goals again.

What have I learned?
1. Log everything everyday. I log even when I'm over my calorie allowance-it keeps me accountable to myself and helps me to see those days as a natural part of my journey and not a disaster.
2. Make the most of your calories-I eat lots of fruit, veg, lean protein some carbs and some treats just about everyday.
3. Drinks lots of water.
4. When you hit a bump, when your weight loss plateaus, turn to the MFP community and someone will give advice that rings true to you. We all need support on this journey.
5. Stick with the programme, it works.
6. Don't be in a hurry. As long as the trend is weight loss and feeling fitter then be content with your progress.

Sorry that this is the only comparison pic at the moment as I'm still fairly camera shy!

F8E5CA90-3CF8-441C-A62E-14F9CF3961FB.png_zps3pyttu5y.jpeg

Replies

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great progress! Also - are you spinning your own yarn? So cool :smiley:
  • forruths
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, I spin yarn and weave.
  • Asil_Le
    Asil_Le Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You look great and it's even better that you feel great.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Very nice job!
  • yessie916
    yessie916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I had a similar starting weight and my first big goal is to get to onederland. I relate to your story as I too have been overweight my whole life. What a big accomplishment and again congrats!
  • Ladytibbs
    Ladytibbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, you're doing a great job and looking good at it! I have arthritis too except mine is in the spine which makes everything I do a (painful) chore, but I found that water therapy is the best exercise for people with joint problems, there are several types that you might find helpful...check the YMCA in your area for the different programs.
  • ahmshaki
    ahmshaki Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    way to go, you're awesome!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What a great testament to working through everything. Congratulations on your weight loss, and thank you for sharing your story!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Asil_Le wrote: »
    Way to go! You look great and it's even better that you feel great.

THIS!!
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It's a great feeling to get there. Keep up your great work.
  • minnesotaimport
    minnesotaimport Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to Onederland! What an inspiration you are, especially in light of the devastation of losing your husband!
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • bigryno16
    bigryno16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome!
  • forruths
    Options
    Ladytibbs wrote: »
    Wonderful, you're doing a great job and looking good at it! I have arthritis too except mine is in the spine which makes everything I do a (painful) chore, but I found that water therapy is the best exercise for people with joint problems, there are several types that you might find helpful...check the YMCA in your area for the different programs.

Thanks Ladytibbs, I do Aqua twice a week and you're right, it really does help.
  • forruths
    Options
    Thanks folks
  • themeddler
    themeddler Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment. I'm sure your husband is proud of you :smile:
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here at pain management waiting to see doctor. He is going to give me a gel injection in both knees on Friday. I hope this works! Steroids do nothing for me. Here's a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your success. Keep going. Things will just get better!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!!
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Amazing I love a good success story with pics. Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!