Need some tips on losing weight

Options
jonathan_holloway
jonathan_holloway Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys if anyone has some tips on losing weight whilst being lightly active, please share with me. I suffered an injury over seas, which has led to me having my leg amputated and could really use any tips that you don't hear about every day. Many thanks

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Deficit is all that is required to lose weight but I think exercise helps speed things up. It also give room for more calories if you like to eat like me and not starve. In your situation I would recommend swimming if possible for exercise.
  • jonathan_holloway
    Options
    Thank you, like your self exercise for me use to be the only way I would keep fit. Since my injury I have just sat around eating and putting on weight. Swimming is a good idea I'll give that a go. Because I'm not up and about like most people I knew it would be an issue losing weight just by dieting.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah i agree with the other poster. There's no reason you can't lose weight being inactive. Through certain issues of my own I became housebound for nearly 2 years and I successfully lost about 50lb before I took up any exercise at all.
    You may have to stick to lower calories than most, and it may take a little longer to lose - but diet is really all you need to lose weight.
    Swimming sounds a great idea though to help your strength and gentle toning. You can also do lots of chair exercises that help strengthen and tone. You can buy dvds but i'm sure there are loads of videos somewhere like youtube.
  • jonathan_holloway
    Options
    Thank you for the help :) fingers crossed this time in a month I'll see results! I'm trying to cut out drinking tea as I use to drink a lot instead I find my self drinking a lot of water! It too much water bad?
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Only if you're drinking something silly like 3 or 4 litres in a couple of hours which can lead to water intoxication.. but I very much doubt you're anywhere near that! :)

What is wrong with tea btw?
  • jonathan_holloway
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh that's ok then I just heard someone say about the water but I don't drink that much! I use to drink like 20 cups of tea or more a day

And I had sugar so for me I've cut the sugar and the amount of tea! I use to smoke and I guess I replaced the smoking with tea!
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can totally relate to all of the above! :)
    I LOVE tea but can't do the sweetener in tea.. however since discovering full fat cream (my eating plan allows this) it add a little sweetness all of it's own and i've gotten used to it over the weeks and quite like it now.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello ! I'm sorry to hear about your injury.
    Remember - for weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit. As long as you consistently eat at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Calories in - calories out.
    Get yourself a food scale. Weigh all your solids. Measure all your liquids in measuring cups. No guessing portions or estimating. Be as accurate as possible. This way you can be sure your actually eating at a calorie deficit.
    Do not believe the common weight loss myths. All that you need is a calorie deficit for weight loss. There's no need to do extreme diets like vegan or paleo . no reason to fear carbs unless your doctor has told you that you should restrict them . for me, diets like low carb /keto aren't sustainable for the long haul .
    Bottom line -Weight loss comes down to calories.