Ideal/goal weight?

Options
My doctor told me that I need to lose another 15 pounds. I was feeling pretty good about that. 15 pounds is doable. Then I looked at the charts for where I should be based on my age/height. It's different than what my doctor told me. On what do you determine your goal weight? I feel like I should put more faith in what my doctor tells me.

Replies

• evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    trust your doctor first. Idea weight is going to change based on different factors that are not always represented in those charts. What size frame you have, muscle mass ect.
    At 18 years old I was between 200-205 at 6 foot. I had around 10% body fat. According to BMI I was over 20 pounds overweight at that time. The number on the scale is just one point of data to your overall health. Don't sweat the small stuff, just be concerned with being better than you were yesterday.
  • maetijip
    maetijip Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Most definitive method would be hydrostatic/DEXA scan to determine body fat %.

Take weight x body fat% to determine how much fat you are carrying.

Do the rest of the math to calculate how much weight you would need to lose to be at your goal body fat%.

Don't know what body fat % you want to be at? Then determine that for yourself (I'm a male and my goal is 10-12%).

There is almost 0 margin for error.

Cant afford the above method? Then use calipers or whatever other cost effective means you can budget, then proceed the same.

Above all, do what makes you happy...
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    becky5595 wrote: »
    My doctor told me that I need to lose another 15 pounds. I was feeling pretty good about that. 15 pounds is doable. Then I looked at the charts for where I should be based on my age/height. It's different than what my doctor told me. On what do you determine your goal weight? I feel like I should put more faith in what my doctor tells me.

The doctor just tells you what he thinks. You are in charge of your own body. I don't listen to doctors. They aren't living my life or inside my body.

I'm 4'11 and small framed. I started at 150, now I'm at 125 and I want to be somewhere around 100-115 as my goal weight. We will see as I go but for now I want to get to 115.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes you just have to see where you feel the best. I have been from 100lbs to 180lbs. And I know that the healthiest I ever felt was right around 130 to 140 lbs. So that is what I am going for. I don't ever want to be skinnier than 130 again because for me it felt too skinny and I didn't feel as healthy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Make your goal the 15 lbs and get there. Then take some time to live with that and see how it feels. You can always lose more if you want, whenever you decide you want to!