Question for other lower back pain sufferers...

Options
If you suffer from lower back pain, sciatica etc what exercises do you find aggravate it and leave you in pain afterwards? and what excercise do you find that DONT aggravate it? Do you do any excercise specific to treat your pain?

Replies

• alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I dont find that exercise agrevates it but i do an office jiob and my posture can be quitre poor and give me back ache. I tend to sit bolt upright for about 20 minutes at a tiome, get up and strecth a bit. Excercise tends to help and then i do all body stretches to help it out also. Yoga and pilates will help strenghten your core which will help bwith bakck pain so give it a go.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    bump
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Hi!
    I find walking briskly helps to loosen muscles and eases my pain. I try to use my best posture and consciously tighten my abs when walking.

Doing Jillian Michaels' exercise routines where you are jumping, getting up and down on the floor, and calisthenics, etc., sometimes aggravate my symptoms but I still like to do them when I am feeling well.

Best of success to you!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I ahve a lower disk problem, I find that playing soccer and elliptical have helped, also with stretching before and AFTER working out has helped.

Also strength training helps, but "build" slowly as you do not want to strain your back, but building your core muscles will help
  • Riadragonfly
    Options
    I find swimming irritates my sciatica. Mainly walking is as good as it gets for me, it doesn't seem to make the problem worse, and even if it's "serious" walking I am usually only a bit stiff and sore the next day. I dance too as that is good for the posture. Slow/controlled conditioning/toning exercises are good too. I believe the '80s exercise "Callenetics" was designed for back problems, and if I have time I try to fit that in.
    HTH
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    I find pilates aggravates it - the repetitive small movements I think. Also, swimming, if I do too much breaststroke as I seem to flex my lower back when my head comes up out of the water. However I tend to do 10 lengths breaststroke, then 10 lengths crawl, and that stretches me out again and I'm fine afterwards.
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a massage therapist and I find that alot of low back pain comes from the glutes specifically your Gluteus Medius which is more toward the side, Walking,stretching, and Yoga really help. There is a stretch called a figure four (if you google figure four stretch it shows some pics) You could also place a tennis ball underneath your glutes when you lie down for about a minute or two, it acts as a Trigger point (knot) releaser, also if you have a significant other or someone willing, you could get them to "knead" your butt with closed fists kind of like you would imagine a gorilla walking. Hope that helps some.
  • Mrs_Hewi
    Mrs_Hewi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!
    I had a CT scan on my lower back today and am looking forward to the results.
    trdy77; I think you are right about "alot of low back pain comes from the glutes specifically your Gluteus Medius which is more toward the side" and i am so greatful for your knowledge you shared. I googled the figure four stretch and it looks like something that could release alot of tension! I am going to try that and the tennis ball!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are lots of causes for back pain, so this advice is only for those with the "garden variety" muscle ache, not anyone with a diagnosed medical issue.

One of the most helpful things I have found (echoing the massage therapist) is working the glutes. There are lots of ways to do this. I find it convenient for many of my clients (many obese and usually not all that fit) is to do hip extensions and hip abduction in a standing position on a 4-way hip machine (selectorized). I also encourage them to not only stretch hamstrings but hip flexors as well. The weak glutes/tight hip flexors combo is a big culprit in back pain. I also incorporate some core training in a lot of the other exercises we do and it helps a lot of folks.

What I don't do -- any ab crunches or back extensions. In fact, I rarely do any dedicated ab work with them at all. We rarely have time to fit it in a session with everything else that needs to be done and I have little interest in those types of exercises.
  • verlouria
    verlouria Posts: 21
    Options
    I have actually been doing physical therapy for lower back pain, which was also causing sciatica (sp ck), and what I do in the gym is a lot of strength training on my back muscles, arms, and stomach muscles. I have been doing them for about 4 months now, and I am no longer in pain when I get up from sitting or laying down. I just noticed a week or so ago that I am no longer moaning and groaning like an old lady when I get up, and I get up a lot quicker. No more pain. I was told as we get older we need our muscles more to support our spine. I also ride a real bike (20-30 mins) and walk a lot. The only time my sciatica acts up is when I do too much of anything in one day. I also noticed when I was swimming I got a lot of sciatica pain. Interesting that other people are saying the same thing here.
  • Mrs_Hewi
    Options
    So yersterday i did a few 'figure four' stretches,a nd the relief was amazing!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Stretching is so important. I truly found out this year how my chiropractor knew I was "fibbing" about how much I was stretching last year. Last thing I wanted to do after running was stretch. But it makes a WORLD of difference! New mattress helped also.
  • WildWayz
    WildWayz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What are "Figure Four" stretches?

I suffer from lower back pain - when I was 18, I had a car crash and fractured my lower back - it's healed but I still get pain in it especially because I am overweight.

Last Friday, I did day 3 of the Couch to 5K and in the evening the pain in my lower back was almost unbearable.
    Even today it hurts when I sit down. When walking, it is fine!
  • Mrs_Hewi
    Options
    What are "Figure Four" stretches?

Its hard to explain so i suggest 'google' :wink:

I got my CT results and i have a posterior bulged disc in my L5-S1 anyone else had this?