Gained two pounds this week :/

Options
Okay so I need some support here. I gained two pounds :( I know people gain weight all the time but this time I was kinda sad. Even though I wasn't eating that bad I still gained the weight. Though there's another reason why .....I wasn't working out every day. I may have worked out about two times this week including going to work, and I work at burger king so I'm always moving around....so yeah kinda sad though I know what I did wrong. Still Need some support though....please and thank yoi

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Some weeks we won't always see a loss. Yes it is discouraging. It looks like you already understand why it happened ( weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . for weight loss , one must be a calorie deficit . calories in - calories out )
    Just strive to make this week better then last week. Since all that's needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit, tighten up on your logging. Weigh all your solids. Measure your liquids. No guessing portions. This will help you to know if your really eating at a deficit.
    We all have ups and downs throughout this process :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You have to try so hard not to let the scale impact you. I can't tell you how many times I got discouraged and ended up quitting because the scale showed a gain when I had been working so hard. I likely quit over water weight every single time and it KILLS me now that I could have been successful before had I just stuck with it.

It DOES work, weight will fluctuate, but missing a couple workouts isn't the end of the journey. Make a goal to not skip as many next week and try try try. Your body and your health are so worth the efforts!
    I myself have been bouncing around for two weeks, up and down, and just now finally is there a downward trend (I use trendweight to keep track). Had I stopped last Wednesday when I was up a pound I wouldn't be sitting here celebrating a true scale loss.

Add me if you'd like, but don't you dare think about giving up! Drink your water, get in at least a walk today, and keep trying because it's worth the effort.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The exercise is really minuscule if you are not in a calorie deficit. There is no reason other than weight fluctuations for gaining weight if you did not eat 7000+ calories over your "maintenance" to gain that. Notice I said maintenance and not your calorie deficit.

Use exercise as a bonus to your weight loss journey and use food intake as 90% of the equation. If you do not exercise or cannot, then it is 100% of the equation.

Get back on the horse and keep trotting along. You seem discouraged and it is ok to feel this way. We have all been there and even go back there from time to time.
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Following a recent heart attack I had to attend 16 sessions of cardiac rehab at my local hospital, after completing these 16 sessions I had managed to put on a kilo (just over 2lbs) however, I had reduced my body fat and lost an inch from my waist. The rehab team said that this was normal as the muscles I hadn't used for many years were now building up and muscle fibre is heavier than fat. Bottom line is, don't fret over the scales just check out the tape. Have faith in the MFP system, I know from personal experience that it does work.

Steve
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I always say it's water retention......... and poop =D It'll be OK hon, just keep on keepin' on
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad it's part of the process.

Look - I gained FIVE pounds last week because it was TOM of month for me and I had a binge day on top of it with heavy sodium and carbs. And this week it's back to normal.

It happens. You just get back to it the next day and keep going.
  • Irisballoon
    Irisballoon Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) your really nice :) thank you for all your kind words. I did excerise today for fifteen mins to a half an hour so that's good. I think it was all muscle that I gained not fat because I took a three hour walk the other day wi th my boyfriend and his family and I wore flip flops the whole time lol not a good idea for my ankles. Lol not doing that again. :wink: so maybe it was gained muscle in my legs?? :) anyway, you all have a nice day. And thanks again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Consider yourself supported. If within a week the food you've eaten is not 'that bad', then the weight you've gained is not mostly fat. I also have put on a couple of pounds this week and my food was downright perfect in every way. It'll whoosh away directly.

The three hour walk didn't so much build muscle, it doesn't work that way, as it did irritate the muscles you have which, while healing, will retain a few pounds of water.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm up 3 lbs for two weeks running. It is what it is. Don't give up. This is just life. It's good practice for maintenance in the future. Life isn't all puppies and scale victories, you know? It sounds like you think you know the culprit. Move on. Do the next right thing, make the next right choice.
  • scolaris
    Options
    PS gaining muscle takes a lot longer than a three hour walk
  • scolaris
    Options
    Otherwise everyone with a pair of flip flops could look like Arnold Schwarzenegger! LOL
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) your really nice :) thank you for all your kind words. I did excerise today for fifteen mins to a half an hour so that's good. I think it was all muscle that I gained not fat because I took a three hour walk the other day wi th my boyfriend and his family and I wore flip flops the whole time lol not a good idea for my ankles. Lol not doing that again. :wink: so maybe it was gained muscle in my legs?? :) anyway, you all have a nice day. And thanks again.

The average woman under ideal conditions (calorie surplus, plenty of protein, and lifting weights) tends to gain 1-2 pounds of muscle a month. I really doubt that you gained that much muscle in a week.

Weight fluctuations are frustrating and we've been told a lot of myths over the years. I know I certainly believed that any little gain might be muscle when I started out :) But as you dig into how weight gain/loss works you'll start to get a better feel for what does and doesn't happen.

I really like these two threads if you want to read some more about weight fluctuations:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1