Help needed with calories plzz

Options
Im making a vegetable soup, ...carrots, turnip, onion, leek,potato a little cabbage all cooked in water with a chicken gel pot to add flavour Im having trouble working out calories for it. I usually stick to food with calories written on them lol but decided to be brave :) Any help or advice very much appreciated xx

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    When I make a soup I do a recipe in the recipe builder section of the boards. Just put each ingredient in and how much of each is being put in the total soup. Then put the amount of servings it will have and from there it should tell you the calories.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Exactly what.. poster above said. :smile: I weigh everything as I put it in the pot. I got a new soup pot about a year ago because I didn't have a big enough one and the new pot just so happened to have quarts listed on it in increments on the inside. Much easier than my previous method of trying to use pi to figure out how many cups.. and I just tanked trying to do that! :smiley: So the soup I made last night was 6 qts.. or 24 cups. So I put the servings as 24 and we used a cup to measure it out. The vegetable-barley-beef soup I made last night was 74 calories per cup. I have an egg drop soup recipe that is about 50 calories a cup.. it's hard to get a soup any lower. I make a 2cup soup in the afternoon if I am short on calories at that point.. I call it Blew-It soup.. because I'm close to blowing my diet. :smiley: It's a bouillon cube, a couple ounces of tomato, some curry powder (but any seasoning works), and an ounce of chicken or whatever I have in the fridge. 2 cups of water and the recipe was 53 calories last time I made it. It's enough to hold me over but isn't a 'soup' I would serve for dinner.. more like fancy broth :smile:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Use the recipie builder.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Trikkivix wrote: »
    Im making a vegetable soup, ...carrots, turnip, onion, leek,potato a little cabbage all cooked in water with a chicken gel pot to add flavour Im having trouble working out calories for it. I usually stick to food with calories written on them lol but decided to be brave :) Any help or advice very much appreciated xx

You can build a recipe on MFP.
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think it's actually better to stick to food that doesn't have calories written on it :smiley: you can find all the calories on myfitnesspall or googling and it's much more accurate that the one you can find on packaged food labels.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually better to stick to food that doesn't have calories written on it :smiley: you can find all the calories on myfitnesspall or googling and it's much more accurate that the one you can find on packaged food labels.

I have found that MFP database entries for all foods (because they are crowd-sourced) tend to be less accurate than the actual label on a package.
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have found that MFP database entries for all foods (because they are crowd-sourced) tend to be less accurate than the actual label on a package.

I like to use this website http://nutritiondata.self.com
    What I mean with my comment is that I like more to cook whole food than to buy processed one.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I like to use this website http://nutritiondata.self.com
    What I mean with my comment is that I like more to cook whole food than to buy processed one.

I also like to cook with whole foods (in addition to processed foods), but I find just as many inaccurate/misleading entries for whole foods on MFP as I do for processed foods.

Enjoyment of whole foods is a good reason to eat them. Choosing them on the assumption that MFP database entries are more accurate for these foods could wind up causing problems (unless you're verifying the calorie counts).