Alternatives to lunges

Options
I have a bad foot and can't put pressure on my toes so lunges are out. I'm doing BodyPump again and I'm looking for options I can do during the lunge track. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Squats, leg press, step ups, reverse lunges.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Squats
  • MichaelaSenft
    MichaelaSenft Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are using training shoes and not regular running shoes when you're training. Those shoes will set you in your heels instead of putting pressure on your toes.
  • TrishB1470
    TrishB1470 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. My doctor has ordered no planks, lunges, etc... but I really want to get back into using the BodyPump videos and taking the classes at my local Y this summer. The workouts already have a LOT of squats, so I really don't need to add more of them. Reverse lunges still have the same problem with my toes, but the step up will be a great option for my home workouts!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Some of the people in my bodypump class do a type of lunge where they use the barbell (vertically) to rest on while lunging partway. So in effect forming a tripod with their feet? Sorry don't know the technical term :lol: ask the trainer they can probably help with an alternative. Like you say there's already loads of squats!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Daughter does a variation of lunges where her back foot rests on a folded towel on a chair, not pressed into the floor. Front leg goes up and down like a lunge. Would that work for you? It's the back foot that's the problem?

• TrishB1470
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    You can do planks if you put your feet up on a roll. Also, do squats.

I hadn't thought of doing planks that way before! Great idea!

robininfl wrote: »
    Daughter does a variation of lunges where her back foot rests on a folded towel on a chair, not pressed into the floor. Front leg goes up and down like a lunge. Would that work for you? It's the back foot that's the problem?

Yes, it's the back foot that is the problem. This might work, too!
    Thanks so much! I knew there would be good options out there!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    TrishB1470 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. My doctor has ordered no planks, lunges, etc... but I really want to get back into using the BodyPump videos and taking the classes at my local Y this summer. The workouts already have a LOT of squats, so I really don't need to add more of them. Reverse lunges still have the same problem with my toes, but the step up will be a great option for my home workouts!

Is there a reason you need to do this program? Have you looked into other sports, classes etc? There are tons of options that do not add pressure on toes.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Bulgarian split squats --- effective but harder than I expected.
  • TrishB1470
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    TrishB1470 wrote: »

Is there a reason you need to do this program? Have you looked into other sports, classes etc? There are tons of options that do not add pressure on toes.

No, it doesn't have to be this program, but it is one that I already own and have enjoyed in the past. Right now I do not have a gym membership, so I'm trying to find things that I can do at home. Because I have multiple problems with my feet I am unable to do anything that is high impact or puts pressure on my toes. That takes out a lot of options. I walk outside when it isn't raining, do walking tapes inside, and want to add BP for some strength training. Surgery is in my near future, but I want to get as close to my goal weight as possible before that because it will make recovery so much easier. I'm always looking for other options that I can do at home, if you have any suggestions!