How to transition to maintaining.

Options
I am a bit lost. I have hit my goal weight today! I am so happy. I bought a whole new wardrobe last week though and don't want them to become to big. I have been on this diet for 7 months.. I am so used to eating the way I do. How do I transition to maintaining? Something tells me if I just automatically change my calorie intake it will give my body a shock like the initial faze of weight loss. I really don't want to gain a bunch back at first. Should I just take it slowly by adding more calories in slow progression? I will still be counting and watching because I want to live a healthy normal life style.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You won't shock your body.

There's no harm in just diving straight in to what you believe would be maintainence. Any initial water weight would soon even out. The inherent issue there is you don't really know what maintainence is.

A more ordered approach would be to add 100 calories s a week or two whilst accurately tracking intake and weight trends until you stop losing.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    ^this
    I will assume that you have reduced your deficit as you went along so , as you got closer to goal you were set to .5lb or -250 cals.
    It shouldn't be a shock to your body but definatley a good suggestion to up cals slowly and adjust if you are gaining or losing too much.
    Try the Maintaining board , there are loads of people there to help you .
    And congratulations on you hitting your goal x
  • amyvanblaricom
    amyvanblaricom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ^this
    I will assume that you have reduced your deficit as you went along so , as you got closer to goal you were set to .5lb or -250 cals.
    It shouldn't be a shock to your body but definatley a good suggestion to up cals slowly and adjust if you are gaining or losing too much.
    Try the Maintaining board , there are loads of people there to help you .
    And congratulations on you hitting your goal x

Sadly I should have adjusted as I went. Unfortunately I was too excited to hit my goal to do so. I have been adding a few but not a whole lot. I suppose now is when I begin. Thank you for the great advise. I will be cruising that board now.