getting used to strictly only eating 1200 calories per day

Options
hey guys,

so recently I have been super strict on the calorie deficit goal after seeing no weight loss, and even some weight gain in the past few months.

With a strict 1200 calorie goal, it honestly feels like I am eating nothing. I have to really watch out for the additives, like using oil for cooking.

Today I made a panini sandwhich where I used a table spoon of oil to cook it on the grill, and it was 100 calories! For the other half of the sandwhich I did not use any oil but it still tasted good.

Little things like using oil, or ketchup, might make a difference in this weight loss journey. I am determined on following the very strict calorie deficit so that I am not hungry, yet don't over eat.

Replies

• SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Protein is everything I find I have the same problem especially since peanut butter is like 200 calories a serving! Sometimes it feels like you can hardly eat anything stick to meat and lots of vegetables and fruits that are low in calories or salads
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of oil on one side of your panini? That is a lot of oil. I am on 1200 and easily stay within my limits but I am also in my 50's.
    I saute veggies using only a teaspoon and a little water. I make huge salads with cucumbers tomatoes avocado romaine and a small sprinkle of nuts. Homemade salad dressing with only a teaspoon of oil per serving.
    Yogurt and fruit for breakfast, large salad for lunch with turkey or tuna, lean protein with a large serving of veggies maybe some quinoa or brown rice for dinner.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I believe in low-cal veggies. I also believe in butter. Butter contains fewer calories than oil. Make soups with low-cal veggies. I sometimes make a super filling cucumber and apple soup. It's something crazy like 20 calories per 100ml! 200ml or 300ml is all you need for a super filling meal or snack. Of course, you don't need to eat this exact same soup. You could make anything you fancy, as long as it's a salad or a soup as low-cal veggies have a lot of bang for your calorie buck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging? What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight, activity level, normal exercise, target rate of loss?
  • rivim
    rivim Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How about a non-stick pan or a 1 or 2 second spray of cooking spray?

1200 can be tough not because it's not enough food but because you really have to make smart choices and avoid empty calories.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know it is challenging to stick to 1200 calories but I am trying too! 21 Day Fix meal plan is about 1200 calories a day so I have been doing that too! I drink a protein shake daily that is 160 calories and is fulfilling! I have that for breakfast it is Shakeology.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    actually i find it quite easy when you cook your own meals to stay at under 1200cal. I use the oven for most of my cooking and a lot of baking paper. a small drizzle of olive oil to complement the spices and it tastes great.most meats lose fat and moisture during cooking ,so they don't need the extra oil.
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm all about easy prep. The SteamFresh products have single serves for veggies. Weigh everything!
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day also, and while it was a struggle initially it can be done if you plan ahead and pay attention. Try cooking spray instead of oils when you can, and save the butter/oil calories for something where you'll really taste them to make them worth it. If you're not a picky eater, look at recipes here and on Pinterest that are low in calories, try new vegetables or cook them in different ways. I roast so many vegetables I didn't think I liked (like Brussels sprouts) with some salt and pepper and they taste better than junk food does to me now. Once you make some adjustments, it gets a lot easier. I go over periodically when I get lazy with tracking, but then I know that I need to do more time at the gym to help burn some of it off.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of veggies is key for me. I pulled out my food scale and found I was overestimating veggies per gram. I'd think "I'm eating two cups of asparagus" log 2 cups, and then when i weighed it I found out I was eating only 1/5th of the serving size I was logging before. When it comes to recipes that call for oil, use your own discretion. How much can you take out and still have the pan be lubricated? What foods can you get away with using a water saute?
  • jillajillabobilla
    jillajillabobilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I believe in low-cal veggies. I also believe in butter. Butter contains fewer calories than oil. Make soups with low-cal veggies. I sometimes make a super filling cucumber and apple soup. It's something crazy like 20 calories per 100ml! 200ml or 300ml is all you need for a super filling meal or snack. Of course, you don't need to eat this exact same soup. You could make anything you fancy, as long as it's a salad or a soup as low-cal veggies have a lot of bang for your calorie buck.

Hey now! You can't tease me with the idea of a cucumber apple soup and not share the recipe. That's just mean.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It becomes habit, really. To eat more than 1200 calories seems hard to me because I have grown so used to what 1200 calories is. You also learn how pointless some things like cooking with oil are.

For the peanut butter mentioned above, I started using PB2. Tastes exactly the same, but 80% fewer calories and you can add it to smoothies easier.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of olive oil only has 40 calories. That's pretty much what I use for most things, whether it's cooking or to add to my vinegar as salad dressing.
  • ladyinredflush
    ladyinredflush Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    chia seeds did the trick! wow I am actually really full after sprinkling it on my plate of vegetables. couldn't even finish the plate.