Paleo is not a diet.

Options
Duroko
Duroko Posts: 6 Member
I am just putting this here to try and explain this view point. When you go paleo, it is because you do not want to eat processed foods, and wish to eat whole/raw foods. If you look at ANY Paleo websites you will find that NONE of them promise weight loss. Why? Because everybody's bodies are different and just because you cut out sugars, breads, and dairy doesn't mean YOU will lose weight. If you want to eat healthy and feel good cutting out those things, then by all means join the "paleo lifestyle." Don't start expecting weight loss and if you do lose weight, don't jump back to eating all the things you were cutting out. You would just throw the weight you lost, back on. Like vegetarians don't eat meat, vegans don't eat meat or animal byproducts, we paleo do not eat processed foods. It is a lifestyle, a path to take, and not just a fad diet to pick up and throw in a ditch when you give up.

Replies

• Duroko
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    True, true. There are many overweight vegans. Calories are what matter.

Thank you lol. I just don't know how I lifestyle got dumped into the 2016 fad diet... I have been paleo for 5 years now and just don't get how they think it's some kind of diet program.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Eh. The Whole 30 doesn't guarantee weight loss but does claim it is a side effect.
    Paleo is usually successful for weight loss because it eliminates many of the foods people overeat and promote eating foods that have high levels of fat and protein which are more satiating.
    It is the same way low carb diets promote weight loss - protein is filling.
  • Duroko
    Options
    Eh. The Whole 30 doesn't guarantee weight loss but does claim it is a side effect.
    Paleo is usually successful for weight loss because it eliminates many of the foods people overeat and promote eating foods that have high levels of fat and protein which are more satiating.

This is true but I'm just trying to get the point across that it doesn't guarantee weight loss for everyone. Some people have no problems processing breads and dairy and never gain weight from them while others bloat like a stuffed turkey lol.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Duroko wrote: »

This is true but I'm just trying to get the point across that it doesn't guarantee weight loss for everyone. Some people have no problems processing breads and dairy and never gain weight from them while others bloat like a stuffed turkey lol.

Agree 100%.
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It is curious to me why Paleo seems to be essentially the same as Ketogenic and similar to Clean Eating. Can someone with good knowledge of these three explain the differences, please?
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Seems clean to me, but carbs aren't an issue, so not Keto.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    hoovhome wrote: »
    It is curious to me why Paleo seems to be essentially the same as Ketogenic and similar to Clean Eating. Can someone with good knowledge of these three explain the differences, please?

Paleo is not intended to be low carb although people often end up eating lower levels of carbs on it. They are not restricted or tracked. So it's not like keto. They are similar in that they both include protein and fat.

Paleo would be "clean eating" according to some. But there are many variations of "clean eating". Clean eating a la Tosca Reno encourages grains, lean proteins, veggies. It doesn't eliminate dairy. Paleo does not include grains, protein does not have to be lean. The Tosca Reno style clean eating includes grass fed meats now but it didn't years ago before Paleo was popularized.

There is a vegetarian style of "clean eating" that would be pretty much the opposite of paleo -grains, veggies, no meat, etc.

So it would all depend on what version of clean eating you are comparing it to.
  • Parfumista
    Parfumista Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I believe the most common definition of the word diet is 'food and drinks usually consumed by a person or group', so calling it a diet isn't wrong. But yes, the main benefit of Paleo isn't weight loss and it's just as possible to gain on a Paleo diet.

@hoovhome A ketogenic diet induces the state of ketosis by limiting carbs < 50 g a day (low carb, adequate protein, high fat), Paleo doesn't have that limitation although it can be on the low carb end of the spectrum as well due to eliminating a lot of sugar & grains.
    I'd say clean eating is the least strict in terms of food groups included, since Paleo excludes most legumes & dairy as well.
    Paleo + dairy = Primal ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What you eat and drink is your diet. So yes, paleo can be called a diet. And though it is not a weight loss fad diet, it can be YOUR weight loss diet if you eat paleo and remain in a calorie deficit.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think the problem stems from the fact it has recently become very popular in the mainstream... and I have seen it featured on several weight loss tv programmes lately too.. if you google search Paleo - so many websites come up to do with weight loss - it's no wonder poor people are getting confused. Especially when they don't go onto the websites by the main advocates of that way of eating.
    All you can really do is kindly advise people that although it's a great way of eating for health and wellness, that they will still have to watch calories and it's not a magic diet. At least that's what i've been trying to do when i've come across a poster that mentions "Paleo" and "lose weight quick" in the same sentence!
  • hoovhome
    hoovhome Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Great discussion! The word "diet" became the D word long ago, so there are some who are vehemently opposed to its use when discussing a lifestyle of eating. Whichever term is used, it truly is confusing unless you are fortunate to locate an authoritative source. My favorite book on food consumption is "What the Bible Says About Healthy Living", which is out of print and covers more than food. However, many of the new plans out there are similar. I like it because it is written by an M.D. who took a scientific approach to determining why certain foods/drinks were cautioned against or banned during certain times. One of the principals of this book is to eat foods as close to its original state as possible (raw, fresh, unadulterated, unprocessed, not preserved). I like cooked foods, but do more with raw, steamed and lightly heated than before.

I do like LEAN meat, though.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info on Paleo. I have been a bit confused on what's allowed and what's not. I ended up going with as many fresh vegs as possible and limit the processed foods. In other words clean eating as I possibly can and limit the calories.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the info on Paleo. I have been a bit confused on what's allowed and what's not. I ended up going with as many fresh vegs as possible and limit the processed foods. In other words clean eating as I possibly can and limit the calories.

Maybe you'd enjoy Primal.. a sort of sister of paleo so to speak.. they allow a bit more freedom with certain food like dairy etc and have less reliance on just what the ancestors ate.. So many variants of this way of eating!! lol
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration when people refer to my diet as a "diet" but as my paleo years have increased I've gotten better at calmly explaining that how I eat is simply my lifestyle not a fad or a "diet".
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Semantics really. Anything that is considered outside the "norm" of popular eating is considered a diet. That is the social meaning.

Oddly, in the biological sense EVERY type of eating is the subjects diet. A diet IS nothing more than what an individual eats as habit.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    People are asking me "what diet are you on?" and I don't have an answer, because I'm not following any rigid diet. I am eating cleanER, lowER carbs (75g per day is my goal), but I'm not Paleo or Keto. I do model a lot of what they do, but I'm not rigid about any of it, except eliminating rice, pasta and bread. And yes, I know that if it's in my calories I can eat it, but for ME, it's better if I don't. I don't eat processed foods...my basic philosophy is if you can grow it or kill it, you can eat it, and stay within my daily calorie allowance. My only vice is cherry coke zero. ;) In the 2 weeks I've been back eating this way I have lost almost 6lbs. I know, I know....I have only been at this 2 weeks....well, I was eating this way last year and lost over 20lbs when my son got sick and was diagnosed with cancer. So yeah, I was living at a hospital for months....it was not good for my way of eating. But, I'm back and as committed as ever! Still have a long way to go, but for me, this is a very acceptable way of eating and I do not feel deprived. Sure, I miss a loaf of sour dough bread. But I also know how I react to eating it, so it's a bit easier to give up!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I googled "is paleo a weight loss diet" and the first page of hits all said yes...

That is why it is lumped in as a fad diet.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    People are asking me "what diet are you on?" and I don't have an answer, because I'm not following any rigid diet. I am eating cleanER, lowER carbs (75g per day is my goal), but I'm not Paleo or Keto. I do model a lot of what they do, but I'm not rigid about any of it, except eliminating rice, pasta and bread. And yes, I know that if it's in my calories I can eat it, but for ME, it's better if I don't. I don't eat processed foods...my basic philosophy is if you can grow it or kill it, you can eat it, and stay within my daily calorie allowance. My only vice is cherry coke zero. ;) In the 2 weeks I've been back eating this way I have lost almost 6lbs. I know, I know....I have only been at this 2 weeks....well, I was eating this way last year and lost over 20lbs when my son got sick and was diagnosed with cancer. So yeah, I was living at a hospital for months....it was not good for my way of eating. But, I'm back and as committed as ever! Still have a long way to go, but for me, this is a very acceptable way of eating and I do not feel deprived. Sure, I miss a loaf of sour dough bread. But I also know how I react to eating it, so it's a bit easier to give up!!

You have a similar vice to me.. Pepsi Max Cherry - but you have a great viewpoint regarding your food. It sounds like you know what works for you and you're successful at it. That's everything you need :)