hello, my name is hopeless.

Options
I'm 18. I was Diagnosed with Pcos. How wonderful
I am 5'8" and weigh about 275lbs.
I will lose weight then I'll gain double in the next week or so. Ugh I'm so tired of it. Im not motivated anymore becaude I'm hopeless. Plus eating healthy is too expensive and i can't eat healthy and pay bills. I'm either homeless and healthy or unhealthy with bills. I don't know what to do anymore.

Replies

• 420Carebear420
    420Carebear420 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What is mfp? I am not trying to be such a prude but it's frustrating when you're trying so hard to lose weight but all i can do it seems is gain weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Chin up!
  • 420Carebear420
    Options
    Which chin or both? :s:D
  • Mamabelle4
    Mamabelle4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aw that's tough going. Pcos is not fun! I hear you about healthy food being expensive but if you learn to cook a few healthy meals from scratch using cheaper ingredients it will help. Hit your library for recipe book or go online. Maybe if you challenge yourself to do this as a May challenge the weight loss will follow. I also have a large amount to lose so hard to stay motivated. This time I'm breaking things down into smaller steps. This week's challenge is to get up from my desk at 11am and walk in one direction for 10 mins then turn around and walk back. I try to get further each day by walking faster... Anyway that's just my buz ☺️ Gets a bit of exercise in and keeps me out of the cafeteria! Good luck with your journey and don't be so hard on yourself.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What is mfp? I am not trying to be such a prude but it's frustrating when you're trying so hard to lose weight but all i can do it seems is gain weight.

MFP stands for My Fitness Pal. It's the website/app you're on now.
  • 420Carebear420
    Options
    Yeah i do have all those things. I never eat anything i really want anymore like fries and pizza and pasta. I can't understand. I'm hard on myself because no matter what i do I LOSE WEIGHT THEN GAIN DOUBLE. My doctor mentioned my insulin levels were really high and stuff Idk what that means. Im literally tired of trying.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you shop wisely and consume the healthy food you buy, it can be done for the same price. Pre-plan your meals and don't deprive yourself so much that you go through this cycle. Shop according to sales and only buy a bit at a time because healthy food goes bad faster and much of the cost is throwing out good food. I found if I buy big things of chicken breasts, I can get them for the same price or cheaper than other meat. I can stock up on frozen steamable veggies when they are on sale and get 4 servings for 3 or 4 bucks. It takes planning, forming habits, and a bit of work at first, but then it will become second nature. Weight loss would be good, but focus on getting healthy. Eating better and exercising will help with your condition and the side effects associated. You can do it.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Try going a bit slower; change one little thing at a time. You sound like you're burning out, maybe because you're making too many changes all at once? Focus on eating less at first, then work on weighing and properly logging your food, then maybe move on to changing your food choices? Or any order that will work for you, but just keep trying.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

MFP=My Fitness Pal, that's what you're posting on. You log on, plug in your stats and you will get how many calories you can eat per day. Buy a digital food scale (essential), weigh and measure everything you eat and drink and try to stay within your calorie alotment everyday. There are alot of people with PCOS on here. If you ask for help, they will surely give you pointers and support.

There are also threads on buget grocery shopping and cooking. Not everyone is rich, and people pass cooking and buying tips. You can do a search on these subjects or just stick around and read the boards, since they rotate fairly frequently. You just never give up--that is also essential to success.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more. Repeat.

It really is that simple [as long as you don't have an underlying health condition that hinders weight loss.]
  • lorannkay
    lorannkay Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I, too, have PCOS and it can be SO HARD to get started!! Definitely talk to your doctor about your options... Most women (if not all) with PCOS are suggested to be on a birth control to control their hormone levels, and i would suggest to start there if you haven't already... Since your hormone levels are funky right now, it is easy to gain when you are trying to lose. Make sure to be 100% transparent with your diet... A lot of the times, weight gain is due to people allowing extra food since they "were good and worked out". Knowing exactly what is going into your body every day until you are at a manageable weight is a good place to start.
  • lorannkay
    lorannkay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also! Since your insulin levels are high (common with PCOS), talk to your doc about getting on Metformin. It helps your body regulate sugar and gives you the energy you need to kick-start being more active.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    PCOS is difficult to deal with, but don't surrender to it and just give up! Lots of women with PCOS have lost weight and maintained a healthy weight for years. It is possible.

Lots of negativity going on here, so I will simply ask: the times you have lost weight what WORKED? What were you successful with? Focus on that. Start there. Also know what didn't work because there's no sense repeating the same mistakes.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy food doesn't have to be expensive. Leanne Brown has published Good and Cheap, a free cookbook (in PDF format) with simple, healthy recipes that cost under $4/day per person. You can download it at her website:

http://www.leannebrown.com

The first several pages discuss how to get healthy food without spending a lot of money, and then she gives dozens of recipes, with beautiful photos too!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    See^^^^^ Isn't MFP wonderful?
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Plus eating healthy is too expensive and i can't eat healthy and pay bills. I'm either homeless and healthy or unhealthy with bills. I don't know what to do anymore.

I feel you girl, its really hard. If you don't have the funds for healthy food you literally have to count your calories very closely. It sucks but it works. Whenever you feel like you are not full and you will feel this alot if you don't have healthy foods, you have to drink water water water. Thats the best thing that will help you stay full and its free. Another option that might help and bear in mind this is my opinion. Apply for food stamps. I did it when i started losing weight 7 years ago and it helped. When you start taking care of yourself and start slimming down you will feel better about yourself and more confident and that will lead to better job opportunities. And then you can get off the food stamps because you can actually afford healthy food. Some people think food stamps is shameful but you know what. We all pay taxes and the state officials go on summer vacations and have second homes with our tax dollars. Your already paying for their time off so you might as well get some of your taxes back in food stamps. Your gonna be paying taxes the rest of your life anyway.

Bear in mind this is my opinion, everyone is entiltled to their opinion. I will not react to all the bashing of food stamps. Good Luck 420Carebear. I hope this helps.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    sarina87 wrote: »
    Another option that might help and bear in mind this is my opinion. Apply for food stamps.

Leanne Brown, whose cookbook I mentioned, wrote it (as a master's degree project) with the intention of giving menus that you could make for $4/person/day, which is the benefit provided by SNAP (food stamps).

In addition to SNAP, there's probably a food pantry nearby where you can get good, nutritious food if you can't afford it.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Another option that might help and bear in mind this is my opinion. Apply for food stamps.

Leanne Brown, whose cookbook I mentioned, wrote it (as a master's degree project) with the intention of giving menus that you could make for $4/person/day, which is the benefit provided by SNAP (food stamps).

In addition to SNAP, there's probably a food pantry nearby where you can get good, nutritious food if you can't afford it.

Wow that book looks awesome, where was this 7 years ago. I wonder if my library has it.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

Wow that book looks awesome, where was this 7 years ago. I wonder if my library has it.

I just Googled it and you can open the whole thing as a PDF and access it for free that way.