Affordable alternatives to Luna/Kind bars

Options
RespectTheKitty
RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone --
For a while now, I've been eating a lot of Luna and Kind bars, because they're convenient and relatively low-calorie. I have one or two for breakfast, and one for a snack before my workout, and sometimes even one before bed if I'm feeling hungry. So yeah, I eat them a lot. So far it's worked okay for me, I've lost 27 pounds, but I'm noticing now that the weight loss is starting to slow down so I figure it's time to change up my routine.

The bars are also kind of expensive. A box of 5 costs almost $6.00, and when you buy 3-4 boxes a week like I do, it adds up fast. I want to make better use of my money by finding some better ideas for breakfast and snacks that are more cost-effective.

It doesn't have to be bars... like, what else is convenient and relatively affordable that would make a good breakfast or snack? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

ETA: I need a convenient breakfast because I usually eat at my desk at work. There's no way on earth I can wake up early enough to actually make breakfast for myself.

Replies

• amber_olivares
    amber_olivares Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look for recipes to make your own bars and make ahead enough for the week
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Make your own homemade bars or opt for a piece of fruit. Bananas are cheap, easy to pack and eat on the go, and they're delicious.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are actually really cheap if you buy when there are sales and in bulk online. I can usually buy 5 boxes of 12 for less than 50 bucks.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make egg muffins, they're super cheap and really good for breakfast. Just baked scrambled eggs with some chicken and a little cheese.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Coffee for breakfast, skip the Luna bar :) (And. I LOVE Luna bars!)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Protein powder.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    read the label carefully there terrible lots of sugar and 145 calories from fat a better choice is power bars !$ at market basket or premire protein bars or buy some body fortress whey protein or greek yogurt and cheese sticks
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a "cheap" protein bar that's actually healthy but for a sweet treat or quick breakfast, I looooove PowerCrunch bars- they're like those wafer cookies with the cream in between the wafer bars! Not sure it's great to eat them all day every day (it really might be best to make them yourself if it's something you have regularly) but those and Kind bars are my go-to if I find myself grabbing breakfast at a gas station! For a quick, convenient breakfast at my desk at work, I also like yogurt with fruit (sometimes separate, sometimes blended as a smoothie).
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is now making copycat Kind bars which are probably cheaper, if you have TJs around.

If you just want an at-your-desk appropriate breakfast, there are many options. Do you have a microwave? I would probably pack oatmeal and reheat it. I would cook a large batch of steel cut oats (just my preference) in advance and put an appropriate serving amount in a container with whatever mix ins/toppings the night before. Then just heat it up when you get to work! That's a super cheap option.

If you don't have a microwave, I would pack greek yogurt with whatever toppings (maybe separate any that would get soggy) the night before and just grab and go in the morning. But really, anything that can be assembled the night before, or earlier, would be fine. No need for prepackaged food!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins (baked eggs, veggies, ham, flaxseed and whatever else you want to toss in) and a Greek yogurt, lots of protein for a good start to the day.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Since I started my weight loss journey back in Jan. and lost 21 lbs, my every day breakfast for the most part and I actually just look forward to it over anything else, is the Great Value brand (believe it or not!) from Walmart 90 calorie chocolate chip chunk bars and I use 1-2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter for 90-180 calories. Soooo yummy and filling with my coffee and half and half. It keeps me full til lunch! Love bars too!!
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes or ezekiel bread with peanut butter, overnight oats, and greek yogurt with fruit all work well too!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like the kashi bars better for their calorie and nutrient counts, don't know how they compare to Kind bars.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have a box of Quaker instant oatmeal-Raisin,Date& Walnut in my office for a pick me up. There are 10 packets in a box for $3.50.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd switch some of those for nuts and fruit. Same thing without the added sugar. But I hear you, I love those bars, they just make it pretty hard to hit my macros because they just don't have enough protein.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave, I keep a box of instant oatmeal packets in my desk. I just microwave a mug of water, and then dump 2 packs of oatmeal in and let it sit for 5 mins. Filling and cheap.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can very easily make your own bars.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Learn to cook.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Stop eating 4 luna bars a day to start. Meal prep so you can just grab and go in the mornings. Fruits are good options for breakfast. Fruits and bagels, fruits and toast.