Cardio or strength

Options
OK I'm 5ft10 went from no exercise and 400# had wls I'm down to 276# and going to gym 5x a week I have a hand that has nerve damage so I can't grip and I have hernias so I shouldn't be lifting huge amount my question is should I do more cardio or high reps medium weight amount I'm usually at like a 500 calories deficit

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For most people, a combination of the two, although recognising your restrictions you're probably limited in your CV options as well.

There is no ONE TRUE WAY(tm), it's about finding a balance that's sustainable for you.

You will get some zealots telling you that the only way is the programme they follow though.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Uh, with your issues I'd ask a doctor and get a referral to a physical therapist for the best (safest) advice.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    With medical issues like that it probably isn't a good idea to take advice from the internet as your only source of information.

A doctor and/or a personal trainer would be your best bet.

That said, @MeanderingMammal hit it pretty spot on.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks right now I'm doing 30 to 45 min treadmill and 20 to 30 min Nautilus machines can't wait for hand to be fixed so I can start seriously lifting
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    OK I'm 5ft10 went from no exercise and 400# had wls I'm down to 276# and going to gym 5x a week I have a hand that has nerve damage so I can't grip and I have hernias so I shouldn't be lifting huge amount my question is should I do more cardio or high reps medium weight amount I'm usually at like a 500 calories deficit

Why not both?

Why must it be a or b?
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    no my question was should i do more cardio or more lifting
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do more of both.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    no my question was should i do more cardio or more lifting

do whatever you enjoy most. both have great health benefits.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love lifting so I always say "yes" to more lifting but really its up to you. Do more of what you enjoy the most!! After clearing it all with your Doc of course. I hope you get your hand all fixed up soon so you can do all the things!!!!!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I would do what works best for you. It's not always the same for everyone. I do cardio only.
  • goofypest24
    goofypest24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kudos for taking the steps towards a better healthy lifestyle.

Of course you should check with your doc for the best advice.

I joined the gym for. Rehabilitation after knee surgery. I too have lost a bunch of weight and have become addicted.
    When I hit a rut a couple months ago I split up my routine a bit.
    I was doing strength training - Mon, Thurs, and Sat. Cardio -Tues, Fri taking Wed and Sun as my rest days. Now I keep the same days but now I do legs arm legs one week the following week I do arms legs arms with a bit of cardio after the strength.
    This has worked best for me for the past 3 months.... I might have to switch it up again but tyhatbis just because I'm getting bored....

Find a routine that keeps you going that's all that is important.