Steriods and weight loss

Options
So im currently taking prednisone for a medical condition, it seems to be making me really hungry! All i can think about is food! I am very restrained and am sticking to my goals but only managing to maintain my weight and not lose. As i am weaning off the steriods so in around 3 weeks i wont be taking them does anyone know if the hunger will also go away? Im not usually like this, normally it doesn't bother me but at the moment i just cant stop feeling starving and thinking about food!

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't have long term experience with prednisone, but I've taken it for about a week before and definitely ate like crazy. For my personally, it did stop when I was off the meds.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Very common for prednisone. It will go away once you stop taking it.
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awsome, thanks for the replys, glad to hear it coz its horrible feeling this hungry all the time! I cant just eat coz i know if I put the weight on i wont get rid of it and its pretty hard for me to lose weight.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! I was glad my partner didn't have to take it for long with his crohn's. He hated it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Same experience here. On the upside my house was spotless because I wasn't sleeping at night either.

Luckily you are nearly done--make sure you taper off as directed because they do wreak havoc on your endocrine system...
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Same here..... Can't sleep, get very irritable, want to eat all the time. I was past caring for a while and with each round I packed on a few more pounds. Last time I made sure I ate small meals more often, had baggies of precut veggies everywhere- so when I felt I had to have food now...... Munched on veggies and didn't gain. Didn't sleep well but I guess keeping one out of three managed is better than nothing. After tapering off things return to 'normal'
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it, i also get really bad leg cramps, dunno if thats a side effect but its driving me crazy at night coz it wakes me up then takes like 20 mins to go away. 11 more days and i wont be taking them so looking forward to not feeling hungry all the time!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Same experience here. On the upside my house was spotless because I wasn't sleeping at night either.

Luckily you are nearly done--make sure you taper off as directed because they do wreak havoc on your endocrine system...

Ha, yep! Although I couldn't eat either. I remember once being on it and batch cooking until 3am. I sat down to figure out what to make next and had to force myself to lay in bed for two hours before getting up again.

The tapering was awful for me. I was climbing out of my skin.