hello, my name is hopeless.

Options
2»

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is a great thread with a lot of support. This is what MFP is all about.

I will add my own .02:

It sounds to me like you are very down on yourself. Before you can make real change, you need to accept who you are. Even if you can't see them, you have strengths and value. If you don't know what you bring to the table, ask those who care about you the most.

If after this you still can't find the answers, don't be afraid to seek a therapist. It isn't the taboo it once was. I know many people who employ one for a variety of reasons, and most of them accept health insurance.

Nutrition and exercise are slippery subjects, and staying on a straight path to your goals is difficult. Everyone here has had positive experiences, and also times where things didn't go the way they wanted. Try to think long term and be sure to work with your doctor to help you develop a sustainable diet and fitness plan.

Finally, look for an exercise that is challenging but enjoyable. Maybe it is a walk in the woods instead of the office, for example. To me this is key. If you don't like what you're doing, you won't sustain it and will likely abandon it once the initial excitement wears off. There are a ton of great exercise routines discussed all over these forums for every level of ability.

Good luck!

• 420Carebear420
    420Carebear420 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you all are so positive. I needed positive. Thanks all
  • lorannkay
    lorannkay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    BTW, this might sound nuts, but my eye doctor was actually the doc who has given me the most information about PCOS haha... so don't just take one doc's answers if they aren't willing to provide you more info... There is a certain diet that you should ideally be keeping because our bodies don't function like normal. I have found that I lose the most weight when I eat like a diabetic would.... High Protein, low carbs/fats. There is so much out there on the internet for free.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What is your budget for food? Eating healthy can cost significantly less than unhealthy, depending on your restrictions. Check out www.reddit.com/r/EatCheapAndHealthy and www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Eating healthy food doesn't have to be expensive. Leanne Brown has published Good and Cheap http://www.leannebrown.com

Thanks for that!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As a gardener, I love growing my own vegetables and getting an hours-long workout at the same time. However, for someone on tight margins, it can be difficult to get started--buying the plants, the seed packs, the right tools, etc. but that might be something to consider down the road. In the meantime, do you know any gardeners? Ask them if they ever have extra produce. When we have tomatoes coming out our ears, we are often desperate to find takers (the community garden I am associated with gives a lot of food away to food pantries every year). Too much produce can always be frozen, dried or canned.

Do you have access to a park or natural area? Not only do you get even more exercise, but here are quite a few foods that can be foraged; for example, right now in my area you can forage redbud buds, dandelion greens, violets, violet leaves, and plantain leaves for use in a green salad with some green onions and a light vinaigrette. If you can locate tender young stinging nettles (use gloves to harvest!) the tips are utter delicious when steamed like spinach, or you can cook them in a clear broth or cream broth. Here is a nettle soup recipe from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/313241/nettle-soup All of these things have a ton of vitamin A, vitamin C, and other micronutrients.

You can also locate things like mulberry trees in local parks and forage for the fruit later in the summer.

Another idea is to go at the very end of a farmer's market and ask of they have anything they are willing to sell at a reduced cost, and just explain you have a hard time affording fresh produce. A lot of the time it is a pin for them to pack up something like lettuce which might not hold for the next market and will just be headed for the compost bin. Maybe you could establish a relationship with some of the growers for free or reduced veg in exchange for helping them pack up at the end of the market. It can be hard to ask for things, but when you provide value in return it can be a good deal for both parties.

Just a few ideas--I hope they can be of help to you or anyone else in the same situation.
  • jillajillabobilla
    jillajillabobilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sarina87 wrote: »
    Plus eating healthy is too expensive and i can't eat healthy and pay bills. I'm either homeless and healthy or unhealthy with bills. I don't know what to do anymore.

I feel you girl, its really hard. If you don't have the funds for healthy food you literally have to count your calories very closely. It sucks but it works. Whenever you feel like you are not full and you will feel this alot if you don't have healthy foods, you have to drink water water water. Thats the best thing that will help you stay full and its free. Another option that might help and bear in mind this is my opinion. Apply for food stamps. I did it when i started losing weight 7 years ago and it helped. When you start taking care of yourself and start slimming down you will feel better about yourself and more confident and that will lead to better job opportunities. And then you can get off the food stamps because you can actually afford healthy food. Some people think food stamps is shameful but you know what. We all pay taxes and the state officials go on summer vacations and have second homes with our tax dollars. Your already paying for their time off so you might as well get some of your taxes back in food stamps. Your gonna be paying taxes the rest of your life anyway.

Bear in mind this is my opinion, everyone is entiltled to their opinion. I will not react to all the bashing of food stamps. Good Luck 420Carebear. I hope this helps.

THIS! One of my best friends is on disability, qualifies for $40 a month in Food stamps, and uses food pantries to supplement her cupboards. She has lost 130lbs in 2 and a half years while living on $1400 a month in Seattle (about to surpass New York city in cost of living) and doing a low carb diet . She started her diet when she was 62. If you are willing to do the work, and it's going to be harder for you because of $$$ and PCOS, it can be done. There are a lot of people on here with PCOS and hypothyroidism (including me!). Find some to buddy up with. Also consider exploring reddit. They have tons of people who have your issues and go there for help and support and advice. If you are new to reddit be wary that people on the internet (especially on reddit) can be mean to us ladies who are large but if you stick to the weight loss, exercise and fitness groups you will find an amazing community of people who love to help and support each other.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    you all are so positive. I needed positive. Thanks all

You're welcome, and good luck!
  • HayleyAnne012911
    HayleyAnne012911 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Girl, My levels were all out of wack too and that's how I wasn't losing. I have lost over 114 pounds as of date and still have 107 to go. My metformin er has helped so much along with another medicine jardiance. I was just diagnosed with diabetes along with pcos so it's super hard. I cut out soda, most breads, pastas, etc. I still have the stuff I want just not as much. Today I binged a little and had a bagel with light cream cheese. For us with Pcos we HAVE to cut carbs. They're the devil for our bodies. I am day 19 with no soda and feel great and have lost 8 pounds already. :) Add me if you need a friend, seems like we are in the same boat.