Keeping up with exercise in summer

Options
The weather at the moment is making me feel to exhusted to excerise, I enjoy running and zumba and have also been doing incline training for a future challenge but I am losing motivation fast.

Given my schedule with kids and work I normally only get to excercise around lunch time and with the heat and humidity lately its becoming an epic fail.

How do you guys all manage do you change your schedule round or the intensity of the excerise, I am thinking of alot more slower but longer walks in this weather.

Share your tips please, I need some work arounds

Clare
(o and i don't do swimming, before you suggest it ;)

Replies

• charmainecurrie
    Options
    a quick little workout at the park with the kids
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I workout indoors--fitness kickboxing, Zumba, weights--and if I decide to workout outside, I do it EARLY!
  • alexfaty
    alexfaty Posts: 61
    Options
    I get up early and go for a run, only way in hot weather...
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The weather at the moment is making me feel to exhusted to excerise, I enjoy running and zumba and have also been doing incline training for a future challenge but I am losing motivation fast.

Given my schedule with kids and work I normally only get to excercise around lunch time and with the heat and humidity lately its becoming an epic fail.

How do you guys all manage do you change your schedule round or the intensity of the excerise, I am thinking of alot more slower but longer walks in this weather.

Share your tips please, I need some work arounds

Clare
    (o and i don't do swimming, before you suggest it ;)

I'm lucky I guess bc I've always been a "morning person". I run at 5 am and it's STILL hot (I'm in Texas) but it would be un-doable midday. I would have to join a gym or something.

I am walking a little more too, on weekends when I get up a little later.

Best,

Debbie
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm in South Florida...and honestly, I could never work out outside in the heat of the day. I also have 5 kids that are underfoot all summer long...so getting "me" time is near impossible. So in the summer, I wake up early and either run before the sun is fully up, or do an "living room" program...like P90X. I know it's summer, and we all want to sleep in...but my day is packed, too many people need my time...and if I don't take care of me, how am I gonna take care of them? It's a sacrifice to go to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier...but that's what this journey is about, right?

My definition of sacrifice is giving up something you want now for something better later. Working out everyday in the early morning is my summer sacrifice to not have to go back to bad habits, fat booties, and no energy.

Good Luck!!!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I tend to go jogging after 9pm at night when it is cooler, if I do my exercise dvd's / wii fit, I do that in a morning before it has warmed up, but I know what you mean about the heat, it does make you feel more lethargic, one advantage of having more cooler days than hot days in the UK :smile:
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    For me it is not a problem. In the winter it is exercise. In the summer it is "getting out and enjoying". Swimming, biking, hiking, jogging, kayaking. The hotter it is the more I do.

My problem is finding time to get household chores done.
  • ktmcqueen
    ktmcqueen Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm having the same probs especially with the kids home for the summer, me time has pretty much vanished.... so i'm interested to see the replies. Good luck!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom with three kids, so I definitely don't get to work out like I do during the school year! I can't even run as I got back into running, ran my first 5K and then got a training injury to my knee and the dr told me to back it off for awhile til it stops hurting. I am not an early morning workout kinda person, but if I can get out before my husband leaves for work, I try to do a fast walk in the morning before it's too hot and as much as I hate doing exercise dvds, I am working my way through the 30 day shred this summer. I miss the gym and have only been making it once, maybe twice a week, as my oldest is a girl and almost 13, I let her stay with her brothers for a couple of hours while I escape, but don't like doing that too often. We try to walk as a family in the evening right before the sun goes down, to burn off those extra calories.
    Also, kettlbells burn off quite a few calories and I have some dumb bells I try to use a couple days a week, so I don't lose all my muscle I gained at the gym. Do what you can, enjoy your kids and they'll be back to school before you know it!
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm little bit on the crazy side but I enjoy my runs in the heat here in Afghanistan, Triple digit heat really helps with the sweat production.

The key of course is water replacement after the run.

Bruce
  • daveredfern
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be in the form of running or causing you to pass out in the heat.

A gentle walk each day a few miles will do wonders :). I walked 5 miles a day for 3 months and very much enjoyed the views, peace and change of pass from the normal day.

Alternatively biking is also great.

I try to plan my weekends and free time to be active to go see and do things. That way you are doing exercise without you even knowing it! :)
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be in the form of running or causing you to pass out in the heat.

A gentle walk each day a few miles will do wonders :). I walked 5 miles a day for 3 months and very much enjoyed the views, peace and change of pass from the normal day.

Alternatively biking is also great.

I try to plan my weekends and free time to be active to go see and do things. That way you are doing exercise without you even knowing it! :)

I am agreeance with you. My Brother in Law when he was going through his divorce a few years ago lost like 50lbs doing exactly what you describe. Everyone has their preferred form of exercise.

Bruce
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    For me it is not a problem. In the winter it is exercise. In the summer it is "getting out and enjoying". Swimming, biking, hiking, jogging, kayaking. The hotter it is the more I do.

My problem is finding time to get household chores done.

This^ It's like the extra daylight and the heat produce this energy in the air that motivate me to get moving. I have a harder time in the winter when it's dark when I leave for work...and dark when I get home. Then there's the cold.

Don't consider it exersice, but find an activity you can take the kids along. Swim, hike, play catch, soccer. I often take my kids geocaching just to move and get out of the house.

If you want to get something really intense done and not have the kids along? 5am or 9pm is when I go....and right now there is still a little bit of daylight at those times.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I find it easier to workout in the summer, b/c there is more daylight. I get up at 5a to go for a run 2-3days a week (while husband and the kids are still asleep). I do P90X as well, usually in the evenings and if needed, have the AC going.
  • drmastermind
    drmastermind Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just change up what I do for a workout. During the colder months I do a lot of stair climbing, running and boxing but when it warms up I switch to cycling, kayaking and swimming. That way I don't get bored with a workout but I still get the exercise. As a bonus cycling and kayaking can be done with the kids to get them some exercise without them even knowing it.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym person and like being outside but midday here in Houston the heat index can easily hit 100+ with 90+ percent humidity :sick: .
    I am also not a morning person (though I'm working on it...trying...really...I am! :smile: ) so early mornings are usually out - we tend to bike in the evening before dusk and are trying HIIT too. We also have short workout videos (30 day shred and others that are less than 30 minutes long) - I don't have a great attention span for more than that!