VEGETARIAN VARIETY AND MEAL PREP

Options
So I am a vegetarian and am most successful with my eating when I have variety. This makes meal prep somewhat difficult. I'm about 43 pounds from my goal and was hoping to see if anyone had any suggestions or ideas. Unfortunately, pinterest can't solve this issue lol...I've tried.. any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!! TIA

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We eat beans, lentils, chic peas, yogurt, eggs, tofu, soy milk, cheese, nuts, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and occasional ice cream.
    Hubby loves my baked butternut squash. I love it when he makes huge stir fries of veggies with garlic and onions.
    Here are some good bean recipes:
    http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2014/12/50-awesome-vegan-black-bean-recipes.html
  • FitLifeAdventures
    FitLifeAdventures Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What an awesome site! I have been eating avocados everyday for probably a month now and lots of the recipes will fit in with that! Thanks
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The Garden Grazer is a great site, here are some other of my faves (mainly copy/pasted from another post I made a few days ago, so apologies for being repetitive):

In general for vegie recipes I like the following (not necessarily weight loss friendly, but learning to modify recipes is a great skill!):
    How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. This one of my favourite cookbooks. What I particularly like is that Bittman really encourages modification and experimentation (which is how I cook in general anyway), so many recipes have suggestions for variations, or notes saying things like 'in this recipe X is really essential' so you know you can't just sub in Y.
    Do be aware, though, that you may need to tweak some seasonings a bit and some of the recipes are a bit boring (but again, good as bases for variations).

If you are up for vegan cookbooks, Thug kitchen WARNING! Strong language (also check their recipes online here: Thug kitchen) and any of Isa Chandra Moscowitz' cookbooks (e.g. Veganomicon or Appetite for reduction) are also good (she also is online, at the Post-punk kitchen.

For blogs etc, a few that I go to for inspiration are: Smitten kitchen (not exclusively vegetarian, but most of her recipes are vego, also has a cookbook), Green Kitchen Stories (two or three cookbooks), Cookie and Kate (cookbook), The Garden Grazer, Oh She Glows (vegan, cookbook), Naturally Ella (cookbook), and Veg recipes of India (note, I generally modify these heavily to be lower in fat)