PERIOD PROBLEMS

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I get cramps so bad I have nearly passed out from them. Some of us have cramps comparable to labor pains and they're impossible to ignore. I actually like walking when I hurt like that. It's not what I WANT to do (which is curl up with food and a heating pad), but it helps me.

The walking doesn't require concentration or coordination. But it increases blood flow, which helps with the pain from cramping (caused by oxygen depletion). I also can't eat while walking so I'm not stuffing my face. Eating never reduced the pain, it was a distraction, and walking also serves as a (less delicious) distraction. Bonus, it helps this me out so I sleep better when I do lay down for a nap or night.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I eat at maintenance, curl up around a hot water bottle, and put on the telly.

The whole "exercise helps with cramps!" baloney was first fed to me by my doctor when I was sixteen or seventeen. I've tried it multiple times. For me, all it does is increase my flow and make my cramps even worse and more painful.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So, I am pretty happy with myself. After a month of eating well, tracking my foods and making better choices using MFP, coming in under my calorie goals and making an effort to be more active, I have lost nine pounds. YAY!

Then aunt flow came to town.

My seemingly great stride has been broken, I simply want caffeine, chocolate, chips, and ibuprofen for all my meals. Also I'd prefer to sleep all day, but since I can't do that I have planted myself in my couch cushions.

Is this me? Am I crazy? Last night, as the stack of Jillian Michaels DVD's taunted me from across the room, I tried to summon the powers inside me to do something to continue on my productive journey. Something - Anything?

I managed a few deep stretches through my tight hips and thighs and calves before pouring myself a small glass of red, and a handful of gummy bears.

Periods are the worst. Right?

How do y'all do it?

What I found really helped with my period was taking Magnesium-OK - Amazon sells it.

Before I came across this, I was like a bear with a sore head, very tender breast, backache, heavy periods and extremely emotional. I thought I was going crazy; I was listening the radio one day and this was mentioned, bought it and let's just say, my life with periods did a complete 180 from the hell I was going through.

Magnesium-OK is a unique one-a-day nutritional supplement especially for women. It contains a balanced combination of six important minerals and eight vitamins to help support general health and vitality throughout the monthly cycle. Magnesium contributes to the normal function of the nervous system, to a reduction of tiredness and fatigue and to the maintenance of normal bones. Vitamin B6 plays a role in the regulation of hormonal activity and zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal red blood cell formation.

Magnesium-OK one-a-day tablets can be taken every day of the month on an ongoing basis.
  • becka808
    becka808 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    First post, still getting a hang of the forums, but thank goodness for this post! So glad I'm not alone! I get the most painful cramps and breast tenderness during this time of the month. The worst part is that I become ravenously hungry making it harder to stay within my calories. Just trying to load up on the veggies and been doing ok so far but I always am so hungry during this time of the month!!

• laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Also been having this problem lately. I got given loads of chocolate and stuff for my birthday a couple of days ago, and I've been trying to eat it *slowly*. Most of the time I'm good with portion control, I can have just a bit and be happy. Not last night. :-/ I ate about 500 calories worth of evening snacks.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I got mine this week. I put on 4 pounds straight away and could not summon the energy or motivation to go for a run.

I ate a lot of salty snacks, but just included them in my diary. Went over my allotted calories on the first day. I was taking a lot of pain medication too.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

FYI, I have 3 kids, my oldest is 13, and i don't feel like I need a reminder that I am young and fertile anymore - I have teenage eyerolls to remind me of my ability to produce offspring. >.< :)

Thanks for the support, though. :)

You made a statement and I responded with what I think is an appropriate response. Periods are not a death sentence. Go see your gynae about your periods. You might have cysts or something that is causing your symptoms.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dont stress, I just take that day off every month. Count it as a cheat day lol
    Hope u feel better soon!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    sometimes i get confused about whether to use a semicolon to continue the thought or just act like its a separate thought.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I get cramps so bad I have nearly passed out from them. Some of us have cramps comparable to labor pains and they're impossible to ignore. I actually like walking when I hurt like that. It's not what I WANT to do (which is curl up with food and a heating pad), but it helps me.

The walking doesn't require concentration or coordination. But it increases blood flow, which helps with the pain from cramping (caused by oxygen depletion). I also can't eat while walking so I'm not stuffing my face. Eating never reduced the pain, it was a distraction, and walking also serves as a (less delicious) distraction. Bonus, it helps this me out so I sleep better when I do lay down for a nap or night.

Just wanted to put it out there for the ladies that experience this kind of cramping. Go see your doctor, it is not normal. If your period cramps make you feel like you're going to pass out, induce you into vomiting, make you miss school or work, or otherwise hinder the quality of life that you would have while not on your period (ie, you can't do the things you would do while not on your period because you're in so much pain), its not normal. Talk to your primary care or gynecologist about endometriosis. I have periods like some have described and it is a medical condition (I ended up losing an ovary because of it). Don't think you're just a wuss when it comes to period pain. Get checked out. Endometriosis can't be cured, but it can be treated so that you're not in so much pain.

Diet wise, I have a few cravings, but I really don't go all that hog wild when its that time of the month or getting close to it. I just make sure to have some chocolate on hand - an ounce to curb cravings and I'm usually good.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that the contraceptive pill exists. I don't take a break in taking it apart from maybe 3 times per year and have no problems with pms, no pain, no feeling sick or otherwise uncomfortable. It's heaven-send for me.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »

Just wanted to put it out there for the ladies that experience this kind of cramping. Go see your doctor, it is not normal. If your period cramps make you feel like you're going to pass out, induce you into vomiting, make you miss school or work, or otherwise hinder the quality of life that you would have while not on your period (ie, you can't do the things you would do while not on your period because you're in so much pain), its not normal. Talk to your primary care or gynecologist about endometriosis. I have periods like some have described and it is a medical condition (I ended up losing an ovary because of it). Don't think you're just a wuss when it comes to period pain. Get checked out. Endometriosis can't be cured, but it can be treated so that you're not in so much pain.

Diet wise, I have a few cravings, but I really don't go all that hog wild when its that time of the month or getting close to it. I just make sure to have some chocolate on hand - an ounce to curb cravings and I'm usually good.

Again - you don't think I have already done this? No endo. No cysts. Nada. Some of us just crapped out that badly in the genetic lottery.

And yeah, I still get the cramps on BC. The difference with BC was that I went from three or four days of agonising cramps rendering me useless every month, to half a day to a day of cramps every three months.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate in that I don't get a lot of cramps around my period--sometimes a little back pain but nothing severe. However, I do eat like a HOG. I just realized it, when I had a very bad pair of binge days on the 11th and 12th of this month. I looked at MFP and saw that at the same time in March, I had binges. And the same time in February. And in January. And then the penny dropped.

Still not sure what to do about it for next time. Maybe I can at least be easier on myself, mentally, and not beat myself up for eating too much. Or maybe I can adjust for those days, knowing that they're coming, and try to have a "contained binge", if that makes sense--allow myself more than usual but not as much as when I binge. And be easier on myself, because I don't want to work out those two days before I start my period. Like I said, it's not that I'm in pain, just that I have zero energy. Maybe allowing myself to indulge in a very early bedtime and a little extra food with no mental stress will make those days easier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Due to a large fibroid, this is me:

83w6ujlawi7w.gif

For two days, I'm housebound and exhausted. I had to postpone Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, and canceled Easter. I do see my GYN regularly. At this point, the only thing that can be done is a hysterectomy, but the fibroid will shrink on its own when my estrogen levels plummet at menopause, so I am holding out for that. I'm 49.

I do what I can for exercise, which sometimes is limited to picking up sticks in the yard. Last night, we expected a freeze, so I was running around covering up all my plants, and that wore me out, which of course does not the rest of the month.

However, for over 30 years, my period was no big deal.

My appetite spikes up premenstrually and I eat normal foods at maintenance level calories for a few days.

@Francl27 has had good success recently with considerably less premenstrual food cravings by reducing simple carbs. I think she was hypoglycemic just premenstrually.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    So, I am pretty happy with myself. After a month of eating well, tracking my foods and making better choices using MFP, coming in under my calorie goals and making an effort to be more active, I have lost nine pounds. YAY!

Then aunt flow came to town.

My seemingly great stride has been broken, I simply want caffeine, chocolate, chips, and ibuprofen for all my meals. Also I'd prefer to sleep all day, but since I can't do that I have planted myself in my couch cushions.

Is this me? Am I crazy? Last night, as the stack of Jillian Michaels DVD's taunted me from across the room, I tried to summon the powers inside me to do something to continue on my productive journey. Something - Anything?

I managed a few deep stretches through my tight hips and thighs and calves before pouring myself a small glass of red, and a handful of gummy bears.

Periods are the worst. Right?

How do y'all do it?

What I found really helped with my period was taking Magnesium-OK - Amazon sells it.

Before I came across this, I was like a bear with a sore head, very tender breast, backache, heavy periods and extremely emotional. I thought I was going crazy; I was listening the radio one day and this was mentioned, bought it and let's just say, my life with periods did a complete 180 from the hell I was going through.

Magnesium-OK is a unique one-a-day nutritional supplement especially for women. It contains a balanced combination of six important minerals and eight vitamins to help support general health and vitality throughout the monthly cycle. Magnesium contributes to the normal function of the nervous system, to a reduction of tiredness and fatigue and to the maintenance of normal bones. Vitamin B6 plays a role in the regulation of hormonal activity and zinc contributes to the maintenance of normal red blood cell formation.

Magnesium-OK one-a-day tablets can be taken every day of the month on an ongoing basis.

Ya, chocolate cravings can be a sign of magnesium deficiency so taking a supplement can help with that. I eat small amounts of high quality chocolate daily, but I no longer have intense premenstrual food cravings. I've made other changes as well:

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    flrancho wrote: »

Again - you don't think I have already done this? No endo. No cysts. Nada. Some of us just crapped out that badly in the genetic lottery.

And yeah, I still get the cramps on BC. The difference with BC was that I went from three or four days of agonising cramps rendering me useless every month, to half a day to a day of cramps every three months.

Did you gyno do a laparoscopy? That is the only way to truly diagnose endo. My gyno didn't think I had it either, until I finally convinced him to do a laparoscopy. I had such bad endo and fibroids they had to take out my uterus (I was done having kids anyway). I wanted to say "I told you so" so bad.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that I don't get painful periods, but I do want to eat all the foods from like 3 days before until the end of day 2. I try to have willpower.....try...ok, that doesn't really work so I just switch to maintenance and go easy on myself. I never weigh that week either. No point making myself crazier than I already am.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have an IUD and am lucky enough to not have my TOM. I haven't had one for many years. I do tend to know when my time would have been by the little spike of sweets in my diary but that's about it. My nurse looks at me funny when I go in for my annual appointment and she asks the constant question of "when was the first day of your last period?" I say "1997" :lol: