Do you log workouts ?

Options
lizzelspark
lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I'm trying to lose body fat and keep my muscle do I log in my workouts in here or do I not count them ?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP as intended you log them and eat at least a portion of the calories back.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Depends how you're using MFP.

Using MFP's calorie goal, exercise isn't factored in, so needs accounting for.

Creating a custom calories goal using your TDEE then there's no need to log exercise as you've accounted for that expenditure.

I'd personally use the second option as it removes all the uncertainty regarding exercise calories and gives you a single number to track, monitor and change when required.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't log workouts directly, because my Apple Watch tracks my activity and adjusts my calories for the day depending on how much I've been moving.
    So my answer is no (not directly) and yes (when I move more I eat more).

Generally though, if you are using MFP to set your calorie goals you should be logging your workouts and eating more when you exercise more. This is to ensure that you are getting a good amount of nutrition to keep you healthy even when you exercise more.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I log workouts. Honestly, I love that MFP is set up the way it is because it makes me work out more so I can eat a little more. I go for a run so I can have my before bed snack of a boiled egg and english muffin.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't, I just work out what my TDEE is and set my goals to that -/+ however many calories suits my current goals. That way exercise is already accounted for; less work and it's more accurate.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Thank you ! That helps so I should be losing if I just keep at it then since I'm going over my calories every day but don't figure in my exercise
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I log them, but don't eat back exercise calories unless I'm actually hungry. I calculate exercise calories with a HRM, so more accurately than using the database.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Creating a custom calories goal using your TDEE then there's no need to log exercise as you've accounted for that expenditure.

I'd personally use the second option as it removes all the uncertainty regarding exercise calories and gives you a single number to track, monitor and change when required.

What's TDEE ?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

What's TDEE ?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - includes BMR + activity level + exercise.....in other words your maintenance
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    That's around 2,000 on a normal day my calories I have set on here is at about 1,350 I heard you can eat away at your muscle if you don't get enough nutrients so I can do around 1,500 if I eat really plain and whole foods or should I try harder to get 1,350 ? I really want to drop my body fat but still keep my muscle
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only log Cardio on here and then my Strength Training on Fitocracy
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness tracker so no...it gives me my adjustment and I eat it...not all of it usually but most of it...

I just can't eat all that food sometimes...not enough time in the day.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Thank you I'll try just eating part of them and see if the body fat drops