My ribs stick out far too much!

Options
Quinny2453
Quinny2453 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, this year I have lost about 50lbs and I've reached my goal weight but my ribs stick out far too much. It's making me so self conscious, is there anything I can do in terms of certain exercises etc which will help!?

I've attached some photos so you can get an idea of what I mean.

Last time I weighed myself (about 2 weeks ago) I was 52.8kg and I am 5ft 3. Thanks for any help!ri637bp2orzg.jpg
eu5c3fwj1rmg.jpg

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I would think strengthening your core/working on your abs would help.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My opinion - your ribs look fine - you look like a health person. And, flawed though the BMI scale may be, you are in the "normal" range.

to answer your question - No. There is no exercise or diet that will reduce the rib cage. Ribs are mainly bone and cartilage with only a small amount of muscle.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's normal. You look fine, please don't feel self-conscious.
  • Quinny2453
    Options
    Thanks everyone. No thats just normal, sucking in makes it far worse! Everyone around me keeps telling me my ribs are far too visible, that it's not normal etc and I need to put weight back on so that's probably where alot of this is coming from!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry people are telling you that! When your really slim its normal that the ribs will be more visible, don't worry about it and don't let others comments get to you.
    You aren't at a very low weight for your height (although I don't think you should lose any more) so forget about what people are saying (most are just jealous or prefer to see you the way you used to look, we don't like change as a rule :/)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have to say I cant see anything wrong, I think you may be like me. I lost 61lbs and when I looked in the mirror I thought I had all sorts of bones sticking out all over the place. I admit I was a wee bit self conscious about it but when I thought about it, and looked at old photos of me at 232lb, I realised I'd gotten used to being overweight and wasn't used to seeing what my body looks like at its correct weight.

Give it time and you'll get used to the new you - I know I have. However, mibby working on your abs may give you definition? But honestly I really, really think you look fine - I see no sticky out ribs.
  • Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think its just your build. My ribs, collar bone really protrude and I'm a rather high weight at the minute. Some folk just have a naturally wider set frame. You look great btw!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look wrong to me, you look sexy. You can't really do anything about your ribs, that's genetic, but you can build your abs out to balance it a little if you wanted to, but there's no need to be self concious about it; everyone has slightly different proportions and you're in the normal range.

I have broad hips for a guy and I'm really short, but you've got to work with what you've got.

• sighox
    sighox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great weight loss! :)

You dont look bad, and if you don't mind me saying, the problem you have is not your ribs (your skeletal structure looks perfectly normal) - its the fact that your abdominal muscles arent "large" enough. (pardon my french but english is not my mother tongue, I do not mean to be rude)

if you need some tips, here's some excercises that will help you gain abdominal muscles. That way, the "abs" will connect more (or appear more connected) with your ribcage, giving the ribs less of the protruded look that you say you have.

You will need to gain abdominal and torso muscle....and ofcourse be sure to excercise the rest - your whole body. But this you know already :) just find any type of excercise that you enjoy, which gets your heart rate up

I highly recommend doing this routine twice a week, with rest days inbetween: Abdominal muscle routine - Don't mind the bodybuilder look. This guy knows what he's talking about, he's won Mr. Universe 3 times.

Combine that with the Dumbbell Pullover excercise - but don't do this the same day as the sit up routine cause it will hurt and you might get injured. Or you could just go light weight: Dumbbell Pullover

The first routine works all of your abdominal muscles in some way. Its damn hard the first 3-5 times you do it, so dont be discouraged if you cant complete it the way Calum does.
    Take breaks as much as you need, but dont relax too much, its supposed to be a workout - just set yourself the goal to complete the whole routine.
    Notice how you improve your strength every time you come back to do the routine again!

As for the pain you will experience when working abdominal muscles. You will feel it, but you have had the (great) discipline to lose 50 lbs (!) - a little pain wont be anything compared to that.

here are some images to show the muscles youre working. https://fitnessonfiredotnet.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/st-dumbell-pullovers.png
    http://www.bodybuildingenhance.com/wp-content/uploads/Abs-Muscle-Anatomy.jpg

Sorry for the wall of text, but I like explaining when I suggest things. Hope this helps :)
  • Quinny2453
    Options
    That's fantastic, thankyou!
  • Quinny2453
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, think I'll work on my abs but will probably have to learn to deal with my ribs haha x
  • nicholajaneryan
    nicholajaneryan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bcuqvc38umgb.jpeg
    Welcome to the big ribcage club, we have great lung capacity :smiley::wink:
    I'm sucking my gut in here by the way
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They're jelly. Spare skin aside, mine looks like that at what I consider best for me. The scale considers me to still be overweight then and I can't take that seriously so I go by whether losing or gaining would make me feel better physically and call it good.