I am a food ADDICT!

Options
dls06
dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
I realized yesterday after a family dinner that I am an addict.
Just like an alcoholic or drug addict. I can not have food that will cause me to binge in my house!
I made burgers, sausage, chicken, salad........ I had cake, fresh fruit with low fat whipped topping.
When everyone had gone. I went to finish cleaning up the kitchen and found myself standing over the
sink with 1/2 the cake gone. I had to take it and put it down the garbage disposal because I knew If I
didn't I would have finished the whole thing. As I was putting it in the sink I was still eating it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am no different than an alcoholic or a drug addict. If I was and had drugs or alcohol sitting on my table, I would do them.
Just like an addict I have to learn not to bring the things into my house and if I do I must and will
have the company take them with them or have them put them in the garbage disposal for me because if they are
left with me I will not stop until I am dead. Food will kill you just like drugs or alcohol only slower and maybe not
so obvious.

Replies

• dendalee
    dendalee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I completely understand because apparently I am the same way! It's a struggle sometimes, and I was always taught as a child it was terrible to waste food - people in Africa starving and all of that. It takes a long time to re-learn everything we've been taught about how to eat. It truly helps to have a support group around you who want to see you succeed. Believe me, without them, I wouldn't make it on my own.
  • Deva1026
    Deva1026 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First step in healing is to admit that you are an addict... to drugs, alcohol... or even food. So, on that note, congratulations, because you are conciously aware of your weakness and you know what needs to be done.
    I avoid junk food at my house at all cost because I know that deep down inside me, there is a little addict living there and I cannot allow that little monster to take over my life. I noticed that certain foods elevate the sugar in my blood which makes me want to eat more. Therefore, I chose foods that are more friendly.
    The good news is that you are here and have a great support group. :flowerforyou:
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Unfortunately, what "outsiders" don't realize is that their is a huge difference between being a food addict or a drug addict or an alcoholic.

Drug addicts and alcoholics (with time, treatment, etc.) CAN give up those things.

Last I knew, you had to eat to survive.

Totally sucks and totally understand your pain/frustration.

Good luck in your journey!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    So true, I am an Addict too!

Good for you, for taking the step to put the cake down the disposal. I would have not done it, I would have ate it.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I too am addicted to anything sweet. I've been known to throw things away, then go into the trash to get them and finish them... So ashamed...
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    Yup. Been there & done that. I avoid keeping certain foods in my house. When I have to bring a dish to pass to an event I will toss the leftovers rather than bring them home. It seems like such a waste but I know it will only result in me eating it.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MEEEEE TOOOO!
  • DeeAnn2004
    DeeAnn2004 Posts: 12
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I am a food addict, I have been all my life. I know that I am a food addict, I just can't seem to find the tools to help me break the cycle. This food addiction is stealing my life away from me, one bite at a time.
    Each an everyday is a struggle for me. I can not be trusted alone with food, it is my worst enemy. My biggest fear is that my children too will be food addicts. I'm doing everything I know how to do, to break my addiction. But somedays the food is stronger than I am.
  • Chinook71
    Chinook71 Posts: 19
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I too have discovered that I am addicted to food. My new thing is to ask myself before putting food in my mouth: "Are you feeding your body, or your emotions....do I REALLY NEED this?!?!"......doesn't work everytime, but things are getting better. Recognizing you have an issue and putting the rest down the disposal is a step in the right direction. Good luck!!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, hence have begun the Dukan Diet, cutting my diet right back. Check out my diary/add me if you're interested. Working so far!
  • dls06
    Options
    I use to feel so bad throwing food away. Like everyong else we spend a lot of money on it. But I don't care anymore if it doesn't get eaten by guests it's going down the garbage disposa because if it goes in the trash I will go in after it. . I'm done! If I could give it to the poor starving people I would but I would probably eat it before I got there. It is in a way worst than drugs and alcohol. No body looks at you funny while you laughing and stuffing chips down you throat or having 1 or 2 piece of cake with your coffee blowing smoke up the person's butt who mad it, telling them how delicious it is when the truth is you would eat weather it was good or not. I am really glad I realized this it will be a big help in me keeping all the weight I lost, off. Thank's for listening!
  • dls06
    Options
    I'm the same, hence have begun the Dukan Diet, cutting my diet right back. Check out my diary/add me if you're interested. Working so far!

Is it dukan heinz. LOL