"I'll start tomorrow" epidemic

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
I've told myself "I'll start tomorrow" about every day for the past 6 weeks. I do well with MFP for a couple days, and then for some reason I just lose motivation, which results in me eating whatever I want. I figure that since I already messed up and went way over my calories, then who even cares?!

Then the guilt follows... and I say, "I'll start tomorrow!"

...and repeat.

Help! I struggle to stay motivated and not beat myself up every time I lose control. How do you overcome "messing up" and continue to focus on the current day without convincing yourself that you'll just try again tomorrow?

Replies

• Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow isn't soon enough. It's either today or not any time soon.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For me it helps to have a goal with a date. It should be a reachable goal (IOW reasonable amount of weight loss), but maybe a little challenging.

Is there anything coming up that you would really like to feel and look good for? Not that you would hate life if it didn't happen, but it would be really nice? If there isn't maybe you could create something.

I've used many smaller goals along the way and honestly I'm a bit fatigued with the whole thing at this point. But I know that I will likely see a lot of people in June that I only see once a year (if that) and I find that motivating.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Honest logging. Force yourself to log it, no matter how bad it its. Often, it's not nearly as bad as you thought and you can salvage the day. Otherwise, seeing the damage in black and white is really a wake-up call to what you're doing to sabotage yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that's a current picture of you in your AV, but I know when I am already at a healthy weight and I'm trying to lose a few pounds it is a very delicate balancing act to stay anywhere under my maintenance calories.

I've been maintaining more or less for nine years after a 60+ pound weight loss, but it is still difficult for me to stay under my maintenance calories for any length of time. My body intuitively wants to have a nice little buffer of fat as a safety. My mind doesn't want that.

Sometimes the body wins.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I honestly think this often happens because people try to do too much too soon, so it seems scary or uncomfortable and your mind's natural instinct is to put it off. Here's what I would suggest:

First, just get used to logging. Don't worry too much about changing anything, just tell yourself you will log everything, good bad or indifferent. After a week or two, look back at your logs. Where did all your calories go? What foods or drinks do you seem to waste a lot of calories on? What foods that you like are actually fitting nicely into your day?

Your profile says you have 15 lbs to lose, with so little to lose your goal should be no more than 1 lb per week, and honestly half a lb might not be a bad idea.

Once you are used to logging and start trying for real, don't insist on changing your diet too much. Take what you learned from your logging, and make small tweaks every week to try to feel satisfied on the right number of calories. I manage to fit an occasional fast food lunch, after dinner ice cream, bagel and cream cheese, etc into my 1600 calories. It keeps me sane and on track.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Weight loss is a long term process, and maintenance will literally take the rest of your life. The mindset that one bad meal ruins everything is a problem. If you have a bad meal, it's key to get right back on the horse, do your best to salvage the day and get right back on track. No one is perfect, everyone has days they go over their goal. One day will not negate a week or two of hard work if you catch yourself in time. The only way you fail is if you quit!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Get in the habit. Then you will feel weird when you aren't able to log (i.e. vacation, etc.) It's empowering to know that you are in control of what's feeding your body.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying "I'll start tomorrow" try telling yourself I will get back on track for the rest of the day. Even if that puts you over your calories, logging the whole day and getting back to the healthier and/or lower calorie choices you planned for the day could help you get back on track.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    IMHO, the problem is waiting around for motivation and expecting it to be constant and limitless. Simply doesn't work that way. Motivation is great when you have it but the key to long term success is creating new habits. Habits that are ingrained and effortless. Start small, of course, so as to not overwhelm yourself and build on each little success.

Also, think about it the other way around: what if you started accurately logging your food and keeping within your limits and after a few days someone told you you can't start right now. You need to wait until tomorrow or until next week. How well would you take that? Pretty sure you'd tell them you're doing this right now because you decided to.
  • shejo636
    shejo636 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    I've told myself "I'll start tomorrow" about every day for the past 6 weeks. I do well with MFP for a couple days, and then for some reason I just lose motivation, which results in me eating whatever I want. I figure that since I already messed up and went way over my calories, then who even cares?!

Then the guilt follows... and I say, "I'll start tomorrow!"

...and repeat.

Help! I struggle to stay motivated and not beat myself up every time I lose control. How do you overcome "messing up" and continue to focus on the current day without convincing yourself that you'll just try again tomorrow?

I feel ya, I am the same way!
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think you shouldn't put so much stock into the "I've blown it, I'm a failure" way of thinking. Sometimes we go out with friends or Christmas happens or anything else and we end up eating a load of food, but that doesn't mean that your whole diet is ruined, you're a failure and you'll never get anywhere. Just try your best to take it in your stride and keep going, no matter what. It happened but it's not the end of the world, just do some more exercise the next day or next time try to make better food choices. I feel one of the main keys to weight loss is just to keep going, so for no reason should you stop whether you've not been to the gym in ages or if you've eaten loads of food. Weight loss is a lifestyle and you can't fail at a way of life, you just live it :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    some days I don't feel like eating much, other days I need more. I tend to need more the day AFTER exercising, so i make sure I'm aware of that in my calorie breakdown.

I focus on a weekly average rather than trying to hit goal each and every day. This means I can go out for an impromptu meal with friends, but make up for it later in the week. I'm less stressed about hitting my daily target that way, and I'm less likely to give up. Maybe try that rather than 'I'll start tomorrow'
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I suffer from that epidemic too and trust me sometimes it takes me 3months to come back on track..once I break the cravings.But can't seem to stop and Hail can't seem to say No..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    If you're not COMMITTED to it, this will continue to be your "day one" motto.

"Procrastination is the Assassination of Motivation"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    Tomorrow isn't soon enough. It's either today or not any time soon.

^This

You have to create those good habits. They won't simply manifest. You won' achieve your goals by thinking or feeling your way to them. You achieve them by working toward them every single day, in spite of those feelings of procrastination. You'll feel much better for making progress, however slight. Some days you'll really need a rest day, and that's OK. Just don't let those rest days become longer, unless you're healing from a physical injury or ailment.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It can be tough. Today is a crappy day and I said "I don't want to deal with the anxiety of having to watch what I eat today". Then I realized that I will just be more unhappy if I don't watch what I eat because the cycle will just continue and I will gain more. Even though I don't feel good and I am tired, I plan on getting some exercise in as well. Just push yourself, even if it is really difficult. The future you will thank you.
  • nathinds
    nathinds Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! I used to live working out and eating well but I feel like I'm in this funk that I just can't shake... It's always tomorrow for me anymore :-(
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I stopped beating myself up because I'm human. I'm going to make mistakes. Imagine a friend was going through the same journey as you and they "messed up". Would you get angry with them? Or tell them that it happens and to just move on? Treat yourself nicely. If you wouldn't say the things that you tell yourself, when you mess up, to a close friend, you probably shouldn't say them to yourself.
  • karolis_n
    karolis_n Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You know what they say "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."...Start today because it's already tomorrow somewhere :wink:
  • jillajillabobilla
    jillajillabobilla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me this usually happens when I'm having a bad week, or getting stressed, or getting bored with the monotony. I tell myself "Fine. You can eat what ever you want all day today, and as much as you want. Your diet doesn't exist today. You have my permission. You don't need to feel bad. But you still have to log it". And I do it! But forcing myself to log it really limits how much I eat versus how much I eat when not logging it so it's less of a massive binge. It forces me to be present when I'm eating. Also when I first started I pre-entered everything the night before from the app while I'm in bed and (unless I'm having a no diet day) I dint look at it again until that night where I would make the edits needed and pre load the next days. Eventually it became a habit that I don't think about. I think that's the key. Making it a habit like brushing your teeth or stretching int he morning (or whatever it is you do so often you don't even think about). Finally I use the mantra there is no tomorrow or yesterday, there is only today. I don't have to worry about last week or next month. I only have to think about today. Doing all of this has not only really cut back on me "blowing it" but I no longer feel that I am blowing it. I don't beat myself up if I go 300 calories over. It's just part of my learning curve and part of me learning what it means to take care of myself and move forward.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When i eat something i know doesnt really match my plan i also get that oh well ive started now feeling but am now choosing to ignore it and go to the gym instead to try and balance out as many of the calories i shouldnt have consumed as possible to try and still stay under my day calorie goal.
    My bf wanted pizza yesterday so i agreed bur went to the gym an burnt 700 calories first and made sure to walk everywhere burning about another 300 calories and managed to end up net under my 1260 calorie goal!
    You just have to take responsibility and comit. You wont get the weight loss without the work i remind myself that anytime i get tempted.