Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I usually walk a little (like .25 or .5 miles) beforehand, then do a little stretching and then go. I have to stretch out my ankles or else I have weird issues like my feet falling asleep on my run. I find if I am running more regularly (5-6 times a week) I don't *need* to stretch as much. I don't stretch after...or foam roll...but I should...I really should...
  • reddevil614
    reddevil614 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's pronounced yogging
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    After. A little warm up before the job and a cool down after. I've been told multiple time that stretching before might be more dangerous to injure yourself. Once your muscles are warm is the best time to stretch. But hey, I'm no expert :wink:
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You really should stretch both before and after. Before helps prepare your muscles for use and prevents injury and after helps release the toxins your muscles have released during jogging and prevents them from feeling "tight" afterward.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Make sure to do some type of warm up before stretching. Either walk or jog for 5-10 minutes, then stop to stretch and continue your workout. Never stretch cold muscles. Think of your muscles like rubber bands, when they are cold they are more prone to snapping, or in the case of muscle, injury.
  • shadiisshac
    shadiisshac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great responses, I usually do my cardio after a workout when my body temperature is up and everything is going but today I'll be jogging around the neighborhood. I'm gonna do some jumping jacks like a jerk off before and stretch after
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    active stretch before

static stretch after
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna do some jumping jacks like a jerk off before and stretch after

You and i do our jumping jacks differently....

But yeah, just get your blood flowing to muscles a bit prior to any strenuous exertion. A good fast walk, some light jumping jacks. Give your body five minutes or so to warm up, and then hit the road.

Afterward, stretch and cool down and, if you pushed yourself, give your body a little time to recover.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Yup. Apparently you should do dynamic stretches before and static stretches after.
    That said, I read that a recent study had shown the best injury prevention advice on stretching for experienced runners was actually to keep doing what you've always done. So, if you're a stretcher, keep stretching, if you're a non-stretcher, don't start.
    But if you're at the beginning of establishing a jogging/running routine then go with the advice to do dynamic first, static after and make that your habit. Don't forget some drills to warm up too... Skipping, high knees, bum kicks etc
  • shadiisshac
    shadiisshac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    go with the advice to do dynamic first, static after and make that your habit.

I've never heard of dynamic and static stretching, I'll do my research. I usually feel pretty loose now that I do yoga, so I might not change anything like you said. Thanks for the advice

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I walk about half a mile and do a couple of kicks, that's it. Then start out slooooow to warm up. Stretch a little after because I have had achilles issues, but mostly just rely on yoga to keep generally flexible. If you do yoga and aren't having any problems, you may not need to stretch at all around the jogging.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't bother generally.

Maybe after 15 miles or so as I'm cooling down, but I'm never all that religious about it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Yup. Apparently you should do dynamic stretches before and static stretches after.
    That said, I read that a recent study had shown the best injury prevention advice on stretching for experienced runners was actually to keep doing what you've always done. So, if you're a stretcher, keep stretching, if you're a non-stretcher, don't start.

Makes a ton of sense. I've read similar about breathing / gait etc. Like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    After.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've never been a stretcher... Felt like a waste of time. I used to do a few leg stretches after a run, like a quad and calf stretch, but that is about it. I always start out at a slow pace, then speed up as I warm up. After my run, I always try to cool down by walking a few minutes.

Recently, I started feeling pain in my inner left hip. I'm too old to just ignore it like I stupidly would do when I was younger. So I've started stretching - any time I have a few minutes I do some stretching. It's helped immensely - the pain is gone :)