TONED AND MUSCULAR

Options
Hey everyone :smile:

So , I have been doing very well these past few months and i've lost a total of 31 pounds. Im down to 186 now and my body fat % is 30.1%. I would like to get down to 20% body fat by the middle/end of summer if that is possible or lower it as much as I can. I would also like my body weight to be around 155-160 (toned and muscular) . My legs have a lot of cellulite and my body is not very firm. I would like to reduce my cellulite , tone my tummy / lower back , and make my arms smaller & more firm.

Can anybody please help me with exercises that will help me tone up ? What types of exercises should i be doing ? My legs are very strong since ive played hockey for 13 years , I can leg press 230 pounds but it is very rarely that i do lots of weight for my exercises. Should i be doing lots of weight and lots of reps ? Or should i be focusing on using my body weight ??? My legs are very big and I would like them to be smaller and reduce the amount of cellulite like i mentioned earlier. I just need some workouts and exercises that will help me tone up and loose this extra fat !

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Start weight training. Check out bodybuilding.com and use one of their plans.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat and toning does not exist. Continue to eat at a deficit while lifting heavy and you'll have the body you want in no time. Just gotta be patient and let your body eat itself how it wants to. :lol: I'm almost exactly where you are but I've been using the SL 5X5 program for 2 years. I'm not as flabby as I would have been had I not started lifting heavy.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I have no clue how tall you are, but if it's sub 6ft then you really need to just worry about losing lbs at 186.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I recommend Strong Lifts 5x5 (free online) for a weight lifting program, or Strong Curves, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. The key is to pick a program and stick to it.

I myself do Strong Lifts 5x5. In the last 2 months (Since Feb 20) I have noticed an actual increase in the firmness of my muscles. It's super awesome :). Some of my cellulite has reduced, I'm not sure it will ever fully go away since that's mostly genetics and being female. But any little bit helps. It it still going to take a while for it to be visible but that's another issue. Strong Lift's is set up with 2 workouts (A and B ) which you alternate every other day, or 3 times a week. Workout A is squats, bench press, and rows. Workout B is squats, overhead press and dead lifts. All the exercises use Olympic bar bells. I have the Strong Curves book too, and want to give it a try just to see how it is, but it needs a lot more equipment so I haven't actually done it yet.

Tone will come as you lose fat, gaining muscle helps it show. It sounds like you do have underlying muscle so lifting weights while you lose fat will help you maintain that so you look toned/fit when you're at your goal weight instead of weak and flabby but thin (like I did since I lost weight purely by controlling my food and being a potato).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    A structured weight lifting program is the best way to go. However, I like a lot of variety and versatility so learn as many body weight exercises as you can so that when life happens and maybe you can't get to the gym regularly or are short on time you can always do basic but effective exercises at home that are quick and require no equipment.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5 and other body-weight strength and resistance exercises.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Running can help slim my legs best. And Compound lifts like in SL5x5 will work most muscles in less time.

I would run SL5x5 to learn form and build strength quickly. I would run between lifting days. You can see good results in six weeks. The best muscle reveal is with fat loss so I would weigh my food and continue on a deficit until comfortable.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 30 pounds in a few months is not realistic unfortunately I like everyone's suggestions about sticking to a calorie deficit while keeping your protein intake high and lifting heavy using compounds weights best way to do it! It will come off with time just trust the process
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I recommend Strong Lifts 5x5 (free online) for a weight lifting program, or Strong Curves, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. The key is to pick a program and stick to it.

I myself do Strong Lifts 5x5. In the last 2 months (Since Feb 20) I have noticed an actual increase in the firmness of my muscles. It's super awesome :). Some of my cellulite has reduced, I'm not sure it will ever fully go away since that's mostly genetics and being female. But any little bit helps. It it still going to take a while for it to be visible but that's another issue. Strong Lift's is set up with 2 workouts (A and B ) which you alternate every other day, or 3 times a week. Workout A is squats, bench press, and rows. Workout B is squats, overhead press and dead lifts. All the exercises use Olympic bar bells. I have the Strong Curves book too, and want to give it a try just to see how it is, but it needs a lot more equipment so I haven't actually done it yet.

Tone will come as you lose fat, gaining muscle helps it show. It sounds like you do have underlying muscle so lifting weights while you lose fat will help you maintain that so you look toned/fit when you're at your goal weight instead of weak and flabby but thin (like I did since I lost weight purely by controlling my food and being a potato).

Yep stonglifts all the way
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get *kitten* for this, but if that's your real pic I think you look perfect.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Antd420 wrote: »
    I'll probably get *kitten* for this, but if that's your real pic I think you look perfect.

Get *kitten* not kitten wtf
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone :smile:

So , I have been doing very well these past few months and i've lost a total of 31 pounds. Im down to 186 now and my body fat % is 30.1%. I would like to get down to 20% body fat by the middle/end of summer if that is possible or lower it as much as I can. I would also like my body weight to be around 155-160 (toned and muscular) . My legs have a lot of cellulite and my body is not very firm. I would like to reduce my cellulite , tone my tummy / lower back , and make my arms smaller & more firm.

Can anybody please help me with exercises that will help me tone up ? What types of exercises should i be doing ? My legs are very strong since ive played hockey for 13 years , I can leg press 230 pounds but it is very rarely that i do lots of weight for my exercises. Should i be doing lots of weight and lots of reps ? Or should i be focusing on using my body weight ??? My legs are very big and I would like them to be smaller and reduce the amount of cellulite like i mentioned earlier. I just need some workouts and exercises that will help me tone up and loose this extra fat !

A calorie deficit is the only thing that will take the fat off. You will probably have to do some type of cut/bulk to get where you want. Adding some body weight squats, one legged squats, lunges, all with intensity, will help preserve some of your muscle while your loosing fat if you keep your protein high enough. But you will want to workout your upper body as well to preserve your upper body muscle. Lifting weights would be ideal but most women I talk with want to do cardio to loose weight and don't want to lift weights. Check out some of the weightlifting programs on bodybuilding.com. From your goal weight and goal BF% I'm guessing you at 5'7" (assuming you've already done some calculations [at that height]) you could reach your goal weight and BF% but it would take 1500 cals a day and it would take you 20 weeks to complete. Dropping more than that would be tough to do. There is a 25cal difference for every inch in either direction.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    MFP thinks it is better to kick kittens >:|
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The OP is 5'10". She's posted that in the past when asked.

OP, if you are interested in lifting weights, I am listing several programs below. They all are built around compound exercises, though they may use different variations, and then they vary by reps, sets, equipment, etc. All are good programs. I suggest reading through a a few and finding which one works for you. I know you've said that you work at a gym so you likely have a person or two who could help you learn any lifts that you want to do.

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
    * Frankoman’s Dumbbell Only Split - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    * Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
    * NROLFW - http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
    * Starting Strength & Practical Programming Novice - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    * Strong Curves - http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
    * Stronglifts - http://stronglifts.com/