Putting on weight yet within my calories

Options
hully06
hully06 Posts: 2 Member
Help guys I'm in my calorie intake and im exercising at the gym but I've put on weight help

Replies

• mokeone1
    mokeone1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try to make sure portion sizes are accurate to the labels on the back of the food item, so measuring your food will help. Also maintaining a healthy sleep cycle can help aid in losing weight.

Other than that, I'd need more details to better help.
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just ensure that you are weighing/measuring your food. Also if you are new to working out your muscles can get sore and cause you to retain water. The retention of this water can accelerate weight gain. Also it can be close to the time of the month for your cycle or mother nature has decided to give you a bundle of joy (baby). Once you are logging and measuring your food accurately, and burning a reasonable amount of calories at the gym, there should be no weight gain. You can also try getting a heart rate monitor to help you track the accurate calorie burn based on your heart rate. This would be an excellent tool for your success. All the best to you!!!
  • Leppolite
    Leppolite Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the type of calories also matter. If all your calories are consumed from say fast food, then you probably wouldn't still lose weight.

Pay attention to your Macros too
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Buy an use a food scale. Weigh everything you eat
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Leppolite wrote: »
    the type of calories also matter. If all your calories are consumed from say fast food, then you probably wouldn't still lose weight.

That's not quite true. Losing weight is dependent on only consuming fewer calories than your body burns. If all your calories are consumed through greasy fast food, you probably won't look or feel very well, but the scale number will continue to drop as long as a calorie deficit is maintained.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

This is not true....

Be careful with your exercise calorie burns......Most calculators (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    Are you eating back all your exercise calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained and over what period of time? There may be nothing going on and you're just seeing normal water weight fluctuations. Or there may be a deeper problem. More details would help :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Nope.

I could eat Cheeseburgers and fries all day long, but stay within my calorie goal, and still lose weight. I also pay zero attention to my macros (well, I will look at them for curiosity, but not actually eat according to them). Some days I eat way over on fat, sodium, carbs, some days I eat way under. I've lost 61 pounds eating a diet that incorporates junk food and have paid no attention to my macros.

Macros are not important (to weight loss)--- but you can find tons of threads with people saying this same thing (and others arguing with it). CICO.

I'm going to bet you're not weighing your food properly. There can be huge gaps in food labels. For example, my gerkin package showed I could have three pickles for 30 calories (28 g). I measured out 28 g, which was only ONE pickle. I could have easily added 60 untracked calories to my day without my scale. Imagine if you did that all day long. Let's say your daily deficit is only 500 calories; that's a very small buffer and a very easy way to gain weight if you're not measuring/weighing.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained and over what period of time? There may be nothing going on and you're just seeing normal water weight fluctuations. Or there may be a deeper problem. More details would help :)

That is exactly what I was going to ask. Good call @diannethegeek
  • hully06
    hully06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've gained half a stone over 8 weeks I feel that perhaps I'm not weighing my food correctly and that's where the issue may lay