1/2 ironman training plan?

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    As far as times go, I am not really interested in finishing in any place other than just finishing the race. However when I I start the race I don't want to be towards the bottom. What are the average times for swimming in a pool while training or biking?

It depends on the race. Average times are hard to tease out.

For a Half Iron race, the typical cutoffs are something like 1:10 for the swim, 5hrs for the bike, and usually something like 4hrs on the run. At some point they close the course and bring you back in a van if you can't make the cutoffs.

Assuming a flat-ish course the front of the race will usually swim in the 0:25 range, bike in the 2:20 range and run in the 1:25 range for a winning time in the low to mid 4-hour range. Mid pack? Could be anywhere from 35-40 minutes, 2:45-3:30 on the bike, 1:45-3hrs on the run. You will see all manner of people at these races from the fastest guys on the front to people doing their first triathlon ever (why a half iron? who knows).

It is really impossible to say what is a "good" time, average time, or anything like that.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it helps for my marathon, I ran around an 8:30 pace for the first 23 miles before I started cramping up. I think my pace for the marathon ended up being around a 9:00 pace and that was fine for me. I wasn't trying to compete to win, I wasn't walking at any point in time in the marathon but it was fast enough for me to enjoy the race. That is sort of what I would like to do for the 1/2 triathlon. Enjoy the race but train well enough that I can swim/bike/run with a group... etc..
  • glevinso
    Options
    You went sub-4:00 in your first marathon? You will be totally fine at a half-iron race coming in mid-pack or better :)
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    glevinso - You say that but I about didn't make it. I was totally fine for 23 miles. Started cramping around that time and full fledged cramped for the last 1/2 mile. My running form had to be pretty funny as I waddled across... Walking back to the car took awhile as my lower half locked up. It was the hottest day of the year and I had trained during the winter. I hope training in warmer conditions, drinking more throughout the race and picking up some more strength exercises in my lower half will help so I don't cramp next time out.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    By the way I feel like an easy bike ride tonight even though it isn't in my training. For my marathon I was pretty strict on sticking to my program. I have swam 1000 and ran 4 miles but I did it back to back in the morning. I feel like a 7-10 mile bike ride. I don't bike again until Sunday (25 miles) It can't hurt can it. I biked 20 miles yesterday.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    More bike is always a good choice, but no putting about, you have to put in effort.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    Anybody have any ideas, thoughts about what is a good bike app?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want it for but a lot of us use Strava for cycling and also for running. Map your rides, see stats, connect it to your cycle computer, other Bluetooth accessories like power meter etc or GPS watch or just have it running on your phone. Personally I use a tomtom GPS Multisport watch linked to my Strava account.
  • glevinso
    Options
    glevinso - You say that but I about didn't make it. I was totally fine for 23 miles. Started cramping around that time and full fledged cramped for the last 1/2 mile. My running form had to be pretty funny as I waddled across... Walking back to the car took awhile as my lower half locked up. It was the hottest day of the year and I had trained during the winter. I hope training in warmer conditions, drinking more throughout the race and picking up some more strength exercises in my lower half will help so I don't cramp next time out.

I don't know anybody that doesn't feel like death in the last 3-4 miles of a marathon no matter how experienced they are. Even in my absolute best marathon ever (3:04:14), I started falling apart due to all kinds of cramps in random places (My calves, sure, but why my neck? WTF?) over those last 4 miles.

It never hurts to add more biking, especially if cycling is not your strong sport.

I don't use a phone app to track my training. I use a 920xt. However I still use Strava for it's "social media" aspect. Lots of people use the Strava app on their phone as their bike computer as well.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    If you guys can do triathlons and run multiple marathons, why MFP. Do you track your food and count your calories with all of the exercise you do? What function are you getting out of MFP? I started off tracking everyday but I have found a grove with exercise and what I eat my weight pretty much stays the same.
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I didn't start out that way and that is why I am on MFP
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you guys can do triathlons and run multiple marathons, why MFP. Do you track your food and count your calories with all of the exercise you do? What function are you getting out of MFP? I started off tracking everyday but I have found a grove with exercise and what I eat my weight pretty much stays the same.

Mostly for the cals in/intake piece. If left to my own devices, I'd eat way more than I could ever burn off and race weight would be this mythical idea rather than something that is only just slightly out of reach.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Mostly for the cals in/intake piece. If left to my own devices, I'd eat way more than I could ever burn off and race weight would be this mythical idea rather than something that is only just slightly out of reach.

Ain't it the truth! Believe the formula is: Race weight= Current weight - Just a Few More Lbs.
  • glevinso
    Options

For a while I was tracking calories, not to lose weight, but to understand my metabolic rates better, exercise expenditure (because I don't necessarily believe what my Garmin tells me I burned), and try to figure out how to balance it. MFP was a huge help there. I stopped tracking that long ago but I still pop into the forums.

I might need to start tracking again though. I am hitting my peak for the upcoming Ironman and find I have accidentally dropped 5lbs recently even though I never really stop eating. Past few weeks I have been consuming on the order of 4000 calories a day and cant keep weight on. Fortunately I can back that off soon.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

For a while I was tracking calories, not to lose weight, but to understand my metabolic rates better, exercise expenditure (because I don't necessarily believe what my Garmin tells me I burned), and try to figure out how to balance it. MFP was a huge help there. I stopped tracking that long ago but I still pop into the forums.

I might need to start tracking again though. I am hitting my peak for the upcoming Ironman and find I have accidentally dropped 5lbs recently even though I never really stop eating. Past few weeks I have been consuming on the order of 4000 calories a day and cant keep weight on. Fortunately I can back that off soon.

I just happen to have exactly 5 that I can spare. :)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    If you guys can do triathlons and run multiple marathons, why MFP. Do you track your food and count your calories with all of the exercise you do? What function are you getting out of MFP?

I initially tracked calories about 3yrs ago with 'biggest loser' prior to MFP to lose weight and now do so to stay in maintenance. I have an appetite the size of a small village and could eat for England if left to my own devices. I guess it's the comfort of being in control and to stop tracking would be losing that comfort blanket - I don't trust that I wouldn't gain my weight back (around 2stone).

Besides, my friends get a cheap giggle out of my food diary lol.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Does someone with a huge variety of income and huge daily swings in spending need more or less tools to track their finances vs a retiree with a constant monthly pension and fixed expenses?

My body is a big liar. Even though a 20km run will entitle me to a pizza, my liar body will request 2 pizzas. There are some days where I might be 1000 over or 1000 under and have absolutely no idea. Then an off day comes a long and it's a shock how little I get (relatively).
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    What will I need to swim in my first triathlon. Currently I have a pair of cheap regular swim trunks and that is what I have been training with. I have no cap, no goggles, no wetsuit, no anything else I might need. What do I NEED?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I guess the same question for the bike. I have a bike, a helmet, a pair of gloves, a case for my cell phone that fits on my bike, lights to ride when it is dark. What else do I need?
  • dee_thurman
    Options
    I apologize for all of the questions but you guys have been extremely helpful. Everyone is new once right? Thanks again.