Exercise expenditure may have an upper limit

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not when you understand how everything actually works. You don't need to do all kinds of crazy exercise to lose weight. Exercise is for fitness and is good for your overall general well-being...it has the added bonus of burning some extra calories and increasing your energy expenditure...but it all comes down to diet...if exercise was for weight loss then why would all of these lean, healthy, and fit people like myself who don't need to lose weight be doing it?

Weight loss simply comes down to consuming less than you expend. You expend more merely existing and breathing air every day than you typically would exercising...on top of that you expend energy (calories) just doing your day to day stuff...you also expend energy processing and digesting the food you eat. Exercise expenditure is generally pretty small compared to these other things.

ETA: one of the worst things I ever did when I was losing weight was to start training for a triathlon. I thought of course that this intense training would help me shed the pounds...but in reality, this intense training left me intensely hungry which made it difficult to restrict my calories...when I ignored my body's cry for more energy (calories) and restricted, I had issues with recovery which in turn made my next workout a little crappier and made me more lethargic in general outside of my training.

I had the most success while maintaining a reasonable calorie restriction in my diet and doing light to moderate exercise for 30-45 minutes 5 days per week vs. all kinds of crazy training.
  • suefitnessaccount
    suefitnessaccount Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    True, but I like exercise; it's fun and I have the energy to sustain it for quite a while.

I also like food, but being short, female and old and having spent most of my adult life dieting I am hating the realisation that I just can't eat much of it. It doesn't help that I'm cooking for three preteen/teenage boys who are stick thin and just can't seem to fit enough food in :(

I guess I want my 'hard work' to give me something back.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

ETA: one of the worst things I ever did when I was losing weight was to start training for a triathlon. I thought of course that this intense training would help me shed the pounds...but in reality, this intense training left me intensely hungry which made it difficult to restrict my calories...when I ignored my body's cry for more energy (calories) and restricted, I had issues with recovery which in turn made my next workout a little crappier and made me more lethargic in general outside of my training.

Listen to this. I made the same mistake. There was a time when I was doing 45-55 km hikes on both Saturdays and Sundays on top 3-4 10-18 km runs every week. It was great fun, but the energy expenditures didn't make up for the calories I was consuming to fuel the intense hunger that training created. I also ended up with knee pain from my hefty self trail running and hiking through mountainous terrain. I finally lost the weight rather quickly when I started calorie counting and focusing on 5-10km runs. Do yourself a favor and focus on diet and weight loss first, THEN if you're interested train for endurance sports. Your knees and hips will thank you.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about tri. I gained weight training for oly length.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    True, but I like exercise; it's fun and I have the energy to sustain it for quite a while.

I also like food, but being short, female and old and having spent most of my adult life dieting I am hating the realisation that I just can't eat much of it. It doesn't help that I'm cooking for three preteen/teenage boys who are stick thin and just can't seem to fit enough food in :(

It does...your health and well being are pretty important I would think....

And this isn't saying you aren't going to expend calories...you are going to expend more calories with regular exercise than you otherwise would. It's just not the massive burns people think they are.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Make your hard work the effort it takes to fuel yourself properly, and everything else is a reward for proper fueling.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Short course tri shouldn't make you *SO* hungry you need to overeat to refuel. Unless you are training to win, in which case the intensity is pretty high. The amount of training you do for short course is right around that "reasonable" level of exercise.

I hear about people gaining weight training for full Ironman races and I don't get it. I can't eat enough. I stopped tracking long ago and just shovel food into my mouth pretty much constantly. I have lost 5lbs I didn't need to lose over the past 10 weeks or so.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm short, female, and older than you, and if I sat down and made a list of all the rewards I get for exercising, the number of calories expended would be way down on the list. I do things that I enjoy and that give me a feeling of accomplishment, or that just plain feel good to do. Exercise is its own reward and being able to move your body is a gift. It already gives you so many things back that ignoring every one of them and complaining because you don't get more food seems ungrateful to me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i read that article the other day and found it pretty silly. while it's premise is true (the old saw of not being able to exercise a bad diet) it's 10 reasons were actually pretty much one reason stated 9 different ways. "you can only exercise so much, and you can always out eat it" was repeated over and over and over again as if each bullet point and reordering of the words made it fresh and new and proved it's point all over again.

but there's really no reason to be depressed because nothing has changed. 1) you can eat the things you like within your personal limits, 2) a reasonable amount of physical activity will safely increase those limits, 3) purposeful exercise will have a positive effect on your overall health.