5 foot 2 and under ladies how many calories

Options

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm 44, 5'2.5" and trending at just over 135lbs on a smaller size medium frame. I use a Fitbit Charge HR to track my activity and try to get at least15K steps a day through walking (although bunions and what I suspect is osteoarthritis is making that harder.) I don't lift but do bodyweight exercises. Not religiously, though. Need to get better about that.

I think that I seem to maintain this weight at 1400 cals net, but a) I only went into maintenance in January, and b) haven't been super great at either the reverse dieting or the tight logging. So my data may be suspect. :p Also, I lost a ton of muscle so I think that affects my maintenance cals a bit. (Scale says I am 28%bf,and I believe it's not far off.) That's another reason for me to do better about my bodyweight exercises.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised some say they maintain on 1200 as well. That's the lowest it will take you for weight loss so seems a bit of it would give you that to maintain x
    Exactly. Even to lose, 1200 is often lower than necessary.

^^^ I agree. Those who are "maintaining" on 1200 calories are likely maintaining on more calories than they think.
  • smuratoreihop
    smuratoreihop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 170 lbs and eat less than 1000 a day. I walk over 10,000 steps + walk dogs 3-6 days week for 1 hr. I also do HIIT for 30 min 5 days a week. I am having trouble losing weight. It seems this pattern is only making me maintain. Any suggestions?
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Maybe less than 1000 is too low? I know that our BMRs get smaller the shorter we are, but still may be too low? You sound quite active. Are you weighing and logging every last morsel you eat?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    5' - 114 lbs. - 22 years old - consistently losing body fat and building muscle mass at 1,400 calories per day (I do 30-minutes of cardio + an hour of heavy lifting daily)
  • smuratoreihop
    Options
    Yes I log every morsel I eat. I have lost 22 lbs in 3 months but do not feel this is enough for what I am doing. I did at one point raise my calories because I thought maybe I slowed my metabolism too much but that also did not bring results. It is very frustrating as I can go for over a week and not lose anything at all. What will happen when I do eat more is what I am afraid of, will I have to eat like this forever now or gain it back!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 170 lbs and eat less than 1000 a day. I walk over 10,000 steps + walk dogs 3-6 days week for 1 hr. I also do HIIT for 30 min 5 days a week. I am having trouble losing weight. It seems this pattern is only making me maintain. Any suggestions?

You said you log everything you eat, but are you weighing your food with a food scale? At your current weight and activity level, you should be able to eat more and still lose weight, even being petite. If you are not losing, you are likely eating more than you think.

Your questions seem to indicate you think that your metabolism has slowed and you are holding onto weight, ie "starvation mode". That doesn't exist, not the way you are describing, so you need to focus on the accuracy of measuring your calorie intake.
  • WinoGelato
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A good read for those who may be frustrated with the scale not moving and could be eating more than they think.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • smuratoreihop
    Options
    First, thank you for your reply's. I will be even more diligent with weighing and logging. For petite people like us should the Macro breakdown be different ie less carbs, more protein etc? Should I not walk as much and maybe up my HIIT workouts? I have just been stuck at this weight with going up and down a pound.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    First, thank you for your reply's. I will be even more diligent with weighing and logging. For petite people like us should the Macro breakdown be different ie less carbs, more protein etc? Should I not walk as much and maybe up my HIIT workouts? I have just been stuck at this weight with going up and down a pound.

If you can open your diary, people will be able to make specific recommendations. I don't think there are any guidelines as far as macro breakdowns for petite people, macros really help ensure you are getting a balance of nutrients and many people find certain macros to be more satiating than others. For body composition/strength training, adequate protein is important as well.

I really think the first place to look is the accuracy of your logging, that is usually the culprit the vast majority of the time when people aren't losing.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm slightly underweight and I eat far more than 1200 calories. No issues maintaining on about 1600-1700 and just being active. So probably those that are maintaining that low at higher weights aren't logging very accurately.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised some say they maintain on 1200 as well. That's the lowest it will take you for weight loss so seems a bit of it would give you that to maintain x

Yep considering even little old ladies BMR would be around 1100 so for anyone younger it's more...
    At 46 mine is around 1300 (last time I checked), that's if I was in a coma so anyone thinking they maintain on 1200, well there's something wrong...

(My TDEE is between 2100-2300)

Ruth, my BMR is below 1000... and as you know I am a little old lady ;)
    G.
  • Natalie2950
    Natalie2950 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5'' and 44 yrs old. I currently weigh 116lbs. I've been in and around this weight most of my life and brought it back down again after each child.

I maintain if I exercise. If I don't, my weight slowly creeps up therefore exercise is key whether it is a walk or something far more vigorous! My daily intake is about 1450-1600 unless I need to lose a little when I'll drop it back to 1200. I exercise 6 days a week, usually cardio with some endurance and strength training thrown in.

I've kept a close eye on my weight since I was young because all my aunts and uncles were 30 stone+. My generation of the family are all really cautious and I'm pretty tough on myself when I can see bad habits creeping back.

At the end of the day, I also think it does depend on what you actually eat. 1450 calories of rubbish compared to 1450 healthy food with a little naughtiness can make a huge difference. I would also caution against maintaining at anything below 1200. It absolutely does depend on your frame etc but I chop and change both the food I eat and my exercise programme constantly. I find my body becomes used to things very easily so it becomes less effective.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    4'10"
    53 years old
    110-ish pounds
    Hypothyroid (but mostly stable on medication)

Per my Fitbit Charge HR my TDEE averages right around 1650 calories a day. I believe that's pretty accurate.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Yep considering even little old ladies BMR would be around 1100 so for anyone younger it's more...
    At 46 mine is around 1300 (last time I checked), that's if I was in a coma so anyone thinking they maintain on 1200, well there's something wrong...

(My TDEE is between 2100-2300)

Ruth, my BMR is below 1000... and as you know I am a little old lady ;)
    G.

@Gisel2015 and a very lovely 'little old lady' you are :smiley:<3
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am 31, 5'1 and 113 lbs. I am able to maintain well at 1800 cals, on friday/saturday night i tend to go over to about 2000- 2200 cals. I have been maintaining well since September
  • LookingforWhatsHerName
    Options

I'm curious if those saying they maintain at 1200 cals are talking about their net calorie setting, if they are weighing their food and if they've tried testing to see if that's accurate by eating a little more consistently and monitoring impact on weight? That seems low for a TDEE even if petite.[/quote]

Agreed. I think the range you see in people's reported maintenance is not only due to differences in activity level/body composition, but also logging habits and accuracy. For example, I know petite women who are convinced that they can only lose weight at 1000-1200 calories when in reality they would likely lose at a higher calorie goal if they tighten up their logging, remain consistent, and perhaps most importantly, be patient! The same goes for maintenance. That isn't to say people who reported a lower calorie goal don't in fact burn fewer calories than someone with a higher goal, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are also the folks who log loosely (weekends?), or don't record "nibbles."
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0", 120lbs, 28 years old, and have large bones/frame.
    I eat 1500-1800 daily and lift heavy 4 times a week. I don't really do cardio as I'm trying to gain muscle at the moment.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    5'3 (I'm just an inch over!) 138 lbs maintain on 1870/day but because of exercise I eat 2000-2500 3 or 4 days a week. I'm still getting a deficit most days cause deep down I really want to be 135 ;)
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    5'2" , 2100-2300 and maintaining