Pasta Question...

Options
Hello everybody :smile: So a serving of Barilla Whole Grain Penne Pasta is 2 oz....now is that 2 ozs cooked or raw or...? Because measuring out 2 ozs looks realllllyyyy tiny in my measuring cup. How does this work? Thanks!!!!

Replies

• greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Hello everybody :smile: So a serving of Barilla Whole Grain Penne Pasta is 2 oz....now is that 2 ozs cooked or raw or...? Because measuring out 2 ozs looks realllllyyyy tiny in my measuring cup. How does this work? Thanks!!!!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    They mean weight of two ounces--you should probably weight it instead of using a measuring cup.

And it's dry. Don't worry--it might not look like a lot, but it'll plump right up. 2 oz. is a standard portion size.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    for future reference, unless otherwise stated on the label, portions are always given AS SOLD. In other words dry, uncooked, unprepared, etc.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Thank you :smile: I've been meaning to get a food scale, but haven't yet. Does anyone know an approximation for 2 ozs of pasta?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on the type of pasta. :ohwell:

Look at the box it comes in, look at how many servings it says per container and try to get a rough estimate. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I usually guestimate according to the number of servings in the package. If it's 16oz then 1/8 of the package, 8oz 1/4 of the package, etc. Works for me.:happy:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • mama2bk
    Options
    You really should get a scale. My husband bought one for us this month and I have been guessing and then measuring to see how close I could get. Sometimes I am really off! It will really help with portion control.
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would look to see how many servings are in the box. So if a box contains 8 servings - I'd divide the box of pasta into 8 portions to find out the size of 1. Hm. I probably could have said that better. Sorry if that sounds more confusing than helpful!
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I've taken the whole box of pasta and divided it into ziplock bags before. Ex. If it is an 8 serving box-I make 8 bags. It works pretty well for me and keeps me from getting a heavy pasta making hand.:wink:
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I'm going to divvy up my food, sounds like a good plan. Definately going to be investing in a food scale soon.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You really should get a scale. My husband bought one for us this month and I have been guessing and then measuring to see how close I could get. Sometimes I am really off! It will really help with portion control.

agreed. at walmart they range from 5-30 $ not expensive at all. pick one up, really makes like easier!
  • ajanieva
    Options
    I'm a little scared of pasta. When I buy it I try to buy the whole grain kind. If I get too anxious about portion size or it just doesn't seem to be enough food, I always fall back to spaghetti squash.

You can eat several times as much and still not equal the amount of cals in most portions of average pasta. It can be substituted in pasta salads, eaten alone, with your favorite sauce... the possibilities are near endless.