Eating less but gaining weight...HELP?!?!?

Options
Ok so not gonna lie i have been restricting my calories a lot i went from about 1200 cals to 600 and since then my weight has been freaking out :# I have gone from 130 lbs to 126 in a day and i was 123 before i started (ive been doing this for 10 days) Ik its probs just my body in starvation mode but if i keep it up will i lose or gain?? And no im not anorexic just desperate to lose weight since i have been stuck at 123 lbs

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    my pets survive on more calories than 600 a day. That's way too little for a human. I can't say what you should be at because I don't know your statistics, but I do know for a fact that 600 is way too low and it's wreaking havoc on your body. If you want to lose weight you need to increase your calories to a more reasonable level.

Just remember that you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either. It takes time and patience.

Find an appropriate level for you and stick with it for several weeks before you potentially adjust it again if you aren't losing. Your body will need time to adjust.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food.

Remember water weight can fluctuate by 3-7 lbs easily. Commit to this with a loss rate of 0.5 lbs/week so even if you're just looking to lose 2 lbs you're in for at least a month.

Did I mention to weigh your food? Also eat more. There's no reason to try to push yourself to lose really fast. Let MFP calculate your calories at a 0.5 lb/week loss.

And weigh your food. Even serving sizes on packaged food can be completely off. If you were eating 600 calories then you would lose. I suspect you are inadvertently eating more.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    600 calories? I can only imagine the tremendous amount of stress you've put on your body by eating so few calories. You don't need to starve yourself. Eat a reasonable amount of calories and just move more to create a deficit. Plain and simple. I used to think it was okay to eat 1200 calories a day (when really, I could handle eating more) and now I eat around 1700-1800. My energy levels are so much better. I can easily eat 600 calories in a single meal. You need to eat at a level that is sustainable for your body. We all want to lose weight, but you need to approach it in a safe manner.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.