Cycling for 300lb+ lady

Options
ljw556
ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
Hey!!
So I've been working out a lot, and I've been walking to work (1 hour each way) and I'm thinking... I'D LOVE TO CYCLE TO WORK! I weigh 337lb - am I too heavy for a bike? Does anyone else on here, who's similar to my weight, cycle? Please let me know what you think :)

Replies

• amyrenestone
    amyrenestone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You go!!! Anything that helps you stay more physically active is awesome. I used to weight 257lbs and I cycled. Do it!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the cycling, but what an awesome job of walking to and from work.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I know they make bikes for heavier people, but I think they're very, very expensive. Regular bikes will work, but they are extremely uncomfortable if you have quite a few extra pounds.
  • drmastermind
    drmastermind Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that you wouldn't be able to ride. I would defiantly go to a bike shop and have them help you get a bike that's the right fit for you though. When I started riding I was in the 290ish range and I found that a lot of bikes were just downright uncomfortable.
  • thordisintho
    thordisintho Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm around 304 now and I have an old bike that my parents gave me maybe 10 years ago. Last summer I had it spruced up and bought a new seat/saddle for it, the old one was so tiny it hurt.
    I don't think you're too heavy for a bike, but the standard seat/saddle may be too little or narrow for you. Just try it out and see how it feels.
    If you're thinking about buying a bike you can always google the brand for reviews and see if they have a max. load or something like that.

Good luck :)
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    If u do get a bike... I would suggest replacing the seat on the bike to a female specific seat. I bike to work and when I switched my seat it made a HUGE diffrence.

It does not hurt to go bike shopping go out and see what is out there!
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't weight 300+, but I've been cycling for years, I don't think you're too heavy. My only suggestion would be to practice if you haven't cycled for a while. Practice short distances so you're comortable manuevering around obstacles, stopping, balancing etc. You can get seriously hurt if you fall, so you might want to stick with walking to work until you have practiced enough. I would suggest that to anybody regardless of weight.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I got a bike when I first started this journey, at 353 lbs. I had no problems. Just get a comfy seat! It's gonna SUCK the first week no matter what, but your bum will get used to it. :)
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Great advice. I'll try and find a saddle that's kind to my bum hehehe :)
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    and get a good pair of bike shorts.... They will make the biggest differnce in comfort.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. I got a Trek bike at around 350 lbs. The manufacturer had a weight limit but the shop didnt care and said they would honor the warranty even thought I was over it.. If you can swing it get one from a local bike shop, much easier to deal with them for tune ups, repairs, questions and add ons. I go to my shop every few weeks for something and they are great to work with and will do most labor for free as I bought/buy parts through them.

One thing I noticed is I put more strain on parts I think. I got 450 miles on it over 3 months and I have had most bolts start to come loose once or twice. I carry a wrench set now to be safe.

Get out and enjoy it, I know I do.