Lowering Cholesterol

Options
I'm a college student looking to lower (or at least not increase) my cholesterol- I'm genetically predisposed to high cholesterol. I know to limit in particular red meat and saturated/trans fats. But as a student it's hard to cut out those burgers and ice cream (especially since my depression has me craving stuff like that for the comfort factor).
Suggestions on substitutions for these high fat foods that will still give me that satisfaction?? Calories don't really matter to me, as I'm a bit underweight anyway.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ClarkOA
    ClarkOA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Consider low fat frozen yogurt options instead or low/non-fat pudding (you can even freeze them for pudding pops). Stay away from the pizza and burgers. Your heart will thank you. I'm in the exact same boat down to being in college and having the genetic predisposition despite being an active and young man.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The good fat is olive oil and fatty fish like salmon. You can make a dressing with vinegar and olive oil that is very nice. For comfort you might be craving the salt. So have yourself salted crackers and pretzels.

Stress reduction can help lower your cortisol and by association your cholesterol. Maybe try a five minute breathing meditation just before bed.

Since you are genetically disposed you might need medication to get good numbers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    sliced apple with almond butter (monounsaturated fat + fiber = good for lowering cholesterol, and tasty to boot)
  • tgrzela
    tgrzela Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    go to www.onceuponachef.com great easy low calorie meals you can pre-make for the wk on the wknd. If healthy active female u won't need to really worry about changing eating habbits until ur in ur 30's.....or that is what i was told by my family doctor ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol that is genetic. I had to go low carb(100g or less),I know for me it works because I was doing 150g or less and it lowered my numbers by over half but I started eating higher amounts of carbs again. I was on meds for a long time(I developed high cholesterol when I was a healthy weight),the last medicine I was taking gave me all kinds of other health issues so I had to stop them. they told me my cholesterol was up again so,Im back to eating low carb again.for some people losing weight or even eating healthy may not work and you may or may not need meds.as for burgers and ice cream,just have them once in awhile. you dont have to cut them out completely.just eat less of those things. you can always try a turkey burger or chicken burger.even maybe a vegetarian burger I heard a lot of them are pretty good.as for ice cream they have dairy free versions now as well you could always try some of those.good luck
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    1. High cholesterol may not be as bad as you are told. Do some research. Look at all the studies/evidence.
    2. Diet has little to no effect on cholesterol (unless you are the very rare hypo-responder). Enjoy your food.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My diet has little to do with my cholesterol but there are other factors that do. I try to control those factors plus add garlic, chilies, oily fish and exercise. That helped a good bit. Watching your weight in general may help too
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What you eat is has a very small relationship to the cholesterol in your blood.
    (It's not about the food).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    1. High cholesterol may not be as bad as you are told. Do some research. Look at all the studies/evidence.
    2. Diet has little to no effect on cholesterol (unless you are the very rare hypo-responder). Enjoy your food.

well for me when I eat the "bad carbs"(candy,soda,chips,cakes and that is even in small amounts) and refined and added sugary foods,processed foods(I mean like boxed foods,etc) my cholesterol does raise. I just had proof because my cholesterol numbers were lower and once I started eating these foods in less than 6 months ,my numbers are over what they were by more than half.last time I did low carb it went down,so Im doing that again. for me that is what works.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Try to eat a lot more whole foods in general and eat a balanced diet. Try to get in the recommended servings of veg and fruit. Eat a high fiber diet...whole grains, legumes, lentils, and again...get those veggies in. Eat nutritious sources of fat from things like avocado, nuts, and good cooking oils. Eat leaner meats...more poultry, fish, and leaner cuts of beef and pork. Reduce the amount of "junk" in your diet. Get regular exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Try to eat a lot more whole foods in general and eat a balanced diet. Try to get in the recommended servings of veg and fruit. Eat a high fiber diet...whole grains, legumes, lentils, and again...get those veggies in. Eat nutritious sources of fat from things like avocado, nuts, and good cooking oils. Eat leaner meats...more poultry, fish, and leaner cuts of beef and pork. Reduce the amount of "junk" in your diet. Get regular exercise.

Im sure you are saying in general)I am doing all that and I have been. even when they first put me on a low cholesterol diet it raised my cholesterol.I then started eating better and it came down some,it came down more when I incorporated those foods not allowed in the low cholesterol diet. I dont eat much beef and only pork I like is bacon.I hate avocado. I get regular exercise always have. my cholesterol became high when I was thin. mine is hereditary though.I have cut out most of the junk in my diet yet again,so will know in 6 months if thats helping or not.Im sure it will though because it did the last time
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You could try switching regular burgers out for lean turkey burgers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    You could try switching regular burgers out for lean turkey burgers.

thats what I said lol