Only a few weeks in and losing motivation -- Someone please

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Brittany and I am 25 years old. I have been a yo-yo dieter since I was 18 and I want to put an end to it. I want to become a healthy person -- not just skinny or "in shape". I currently weigh 150 lbs and my goal weight would be around 128-130. I have been at that weight before but it has been about 5 years. I have been trying to take things slow this time around...first I started drinking more water, cutting out soda, adding in some healthy food, and then I started working out. I want to do JM 30 day shred after reading a lot of great things about it and seeing amazing results. I started it last week and accomplished day 1, 2, and 3 on level one but had to skip day 4 yesterday due to my downstairs neighbor being home. I did do 20 minutes of another workout tape and went for a 20 minute walk but the scale hasn't budged all week and I'm starting to get discouraged. I even found myself eating several handfuls of starbursts last night which I am really regretting today.

I find that a majority of what gives me happiness in my life is doing for other people and so I exhaust a lot of my energy doing those things and I have very little energy left for myself -- plus a lot of my happiness is tied up in others happiness. I want some happiness of my own. I want to feel beautiful and strong. I want to feel like I can do something to better my own life. The bottom line is...I don't feel like I can do this alone, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone wants to keep me on track and I promise to do the same for them. I would really appreciate any help/encouragement/support I can get! Thank you!!!

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany! A lot of us have the yo-yo diet syndrome, so you're not alone! One thing that you must do is make time for YOU. You are important. Never forget that! If you have a setback, it's just a setback. Learn and move forward :) You can do it!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You can do this.
    You deserve to do this.
    Taking care of yourself allows you to have more energy to focus on others, it is not selfish.
    I am doing the 30 Day Shred. So what, you missed a day. Call it rest. and get back on it today. I did one day, then left it for about a week. Today is day 12, with one other rest day thrown in, because I needed it. by day 5, I could see visible changes in my body. That motivated me to keep going. I just (yesterday) started level 2. Yikes! But I know it will be worth it. I feel so good when I finish it, because I finished it!

It's hard. We have bad days. Important thing is to pick up and move on. I used to just throw in the towel. But not anymore.

Keep at it!
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! One week is insufficient time to determine your success! It takes some people a month before they see results. I have time periods where I'll lose four pounds in a week, and then no weight loss for 3-4 weeks. We're all different,so try not to compare your results with other's. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I think it's great that you want to help others, but you can help them MORE if you take care of yourself, and get HEALTHY! :)
  • melmelchicago
    Options
    You're going to get all kinds of advice and take all of it or some of it. Some things work better for you than other things. I personally look at MyFitnessPal as a game. I guess what my calories are when I eat them and when I go home and log it in I see how close I am. Problem is, is that I'm always wrong! haha! Which makes its a fun learning experience for me. Plus, try to look at this as a challenge and goal week to week. When you keep seeing progress, you'll want to keep going. :)
  • boyle09
    boyle09 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Brittany: i have been yo-yo dieting for as long as i can remember and now as the scale kept going up i decided to make a change. No one believes I can do it so I'm also doing the 30 day shred to prove to my self and others that i can lose the 20 pounds i want to. Keep up the good work. Have you seen results from the 30 day shred? I just started yesterday and im super sore
  • kristine321
    Options
    I too feel discouraged! I gorged myself with chicken enchiladas yesterday, and let myself have a pity party for it!! Today is a different day, it doesn't matter what happened yesterday, yesterday is in the past! Today is the day to make a change! I have all day today to make the right food choices, and exercise. Its all about what you do in the present, not what has happened in the past. Forget about yesterday, and do what you can for yourself today!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30 day shred and luckily i dont have anyone under me. Is there anyway you can talk with the people downstairs about your daily exercise? it is only 25 minutes of bouncing and it i s for a good cause, do you have a rug under you when you are working out it might help with the sound. Other things you can do for exercise out of the house is running, swimming, walking, biking, you can find cheap deals on workout classes on those only discount sites like groupon every once in a while.
  • Tlkt1969
    Tlkt1969 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just remember it is about you make time for yourself. I have had little motivation as well but today is a new day and I am going to start today and go forward that is all you can do. Keep up the good work you can't judge from just a week.
  • kroessler1
    Options
    Hey Brittany,
    This is unfortunetly, so common! I am abour the same weight range and have the same goal weight as you.
    I have done it once before, two years ago so I know it works... but I packed the pounds back on by eating and not watching what I put into my body. Dont be too hard on yourself and give yourself a break.. My scale is not budging and I have been eating super healthy. Sometimes it takes longer.. why, I dont know, and its frustrating. But STICK WITH IT! The weight will start falling off... I suggest the more cardio the better. The pounds will melt. Good luck! Dont get discouraged!
  • keithbcook
    Options
    Hi Brittany! A lot of us have the yo-yo diet syndrome, so you're not alone! One thing that you must do is make time for YOU. You are important. Never forget that! If you have a setback, it's just a setback. Learn and move forward :) You can do it!

Hi there agree we all go down the road of helping others and don’t have or spend time for yourself,
    Here is what I recommend, may sound crazy ,but it works, look in the mirror every day and tell yourself you are great and kind and good, think positive thoughts and you become a powerful person ,no matter how big or small ,we are all there for you to chat any time
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! Dont loose motivation! Read my Blogs after day3! I went through the same exact thing. "Why am I not loosing weight when I have been doing so good??" Well success is not achieved overnight so we have to be patient. But let me tell you: After days of whining even crying to my husband Woe is me, I finally got a slap int he face and decided to keep going. We are in the same exact situation except I am a few days ahead of you on Day#8. I feel great now that I am here, I am building endurance and even seeing slight changes in my body or hips. I even lost two pounds.... I realized that as long as we are doing the shred we arent going to be loosing outrageous amount of weight but we are going to be trimming down the inches more. Dont be discouraged, we are all here for you and know you can get to your goal, just dont give up! Your doing so good and its only the beginning.... I decided not to measure myself till the end of the 30 days.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You cannot give your best support to others, if you are not looking after yourself. So start with building a routine you can live with that benefits you, then add in other people.

With the 30DS, your body goes through lots of changes, weight is only one of them, get photos before and after so you can see what happens. Get a print out from a high tech weighing machine that tells you your body fat, before and after. And get a tape measure and do the same. I bet you will be amazed at the results.

I have seen some great results on the website, But not all are to do with weight loss, alot are toning and tightening up.
  • shaunabecker77
    Options
    It's true - you're not alone! We woman all go through this. Starting slow is smart. If you're finding yourself dreading the shred, just do something else. Go for a walk, or run, or bike ride. I like to watch the morning news, so I sometimes do jumping jacks, punches, etc. while I'm watching the news. Don't feel trapped by a specific exercise program. The Shred is effective, but not the only thing to do. Keep tracking your calories, too, and remember that each day is a new day. If you make a mistake, move on. Don't let it throw you off track.

You can do it! :happy:
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    Definitely look at it as a challenge/game rather than a diet. The word "diet" itself has a distinctly negative connotation in my mind. This way when you have some of your friend's french fries or a little more chocolate than you should've you don't feel guilty, you'll feel more like you made a bad move in a board game...at least that's how I feel.

I also recommend looking for people who inspire you, and not celebrities. I personally look up to Jamie Eason and Wendy Lucas, a fitness model and personal trainer. Although I don't have the time, dedication or truthfully the desire to be at their level of athleticism, they have nutritional information on their websites: grocery lists, recipes, etc. in addition to exercise ideas!

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • SuzyQ373
    SuzyQ373 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I feel the same. I am new to mfp, but not to trying to lose weight. I feel like I did all the right things this weekend, yet I gained 1.2 pounds. Makes me want to give up and weat whatever I really want, but I'm fighting the urge. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

So don't give up, and I won't either. Anyone with similar problems is welcome to add me. Have a great day!