Swimming with a burnt lip -advice please

Options
I burnt my lip on some hot oil eating tea last night and have a beautiful blister. Really wanted to go swimming today......ask Google and but it keeps telling me about swimming with cold sores. If I go could I catch something? Will the chlorine make it worse? Really don't wanna miss out but dunno what to do!

Replies

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Umm...don't go.

Let it heal. Chlorine is supposed to prevent infection and that, but dont risk making it burn or hurting more?

Use a gym instead? But give it a couple days to scab at least.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You put oil in your tea?
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    You put oil in your tea?

They eat their tea, somehow.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I discovered a sneaky trick last time I got a cold sore (yes, I know you don't want info about cold sores, but hear me out). I purchased a bottle of the liquid bandage stuff. Comes in a nail polish-looking bottle. Spread a layer over your hurting lip, and it will seal out water, sweat, etc. for a few hours. It's the perfect remedy for me!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    I discovered a sneaky trick last time I got a cold sore (yes, I know you don't want info about cold sores, but hear me out). I purchased a bottle of the liquid bandage stuff. Comes in a nail polish-looking bottle. Spread a layer over your hurting lip, and it will seal out water, sweat, etc. for a few hours. It's the perfect remedy for me!

I was going to suggest this too, but keep in mind the bandage stuff might sting. Burns are a bit different from cuts. More surface area..

Technically you're not supposed to go in a communal pool when you have any kind of open wound. And it's for other people's benefit, not only your own. So really the answer here is to do something else.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tea is a meal time in the UK, much like what we call Dinner in North America.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Don't put liquid bandage on a fresh burn!
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Tea is a meal time in the UK, much like what we call Dinner in North America.

Yep, I meant my evening meal. Am doing Keto so had a beautiful fresh cut of beef but foolishly tried to eat it too soon!

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I'll keep the liquid bandage idea in mind for an appropriate occasion, hadn't heard of the stuff before. Just for info: I decided no to go as if the blister had dried and cracked it would have hurt like hell and theres little I could have put on it (it was right where my lips met).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    so go to the gym, use the elliptical, go for a bike ride outside, walk the dog, take a zumba class, play tennis. Try something-anything-while your lip heals.