Dieting While Working in Fast Food

Options
13»

Replies

• faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in with the packed lunch crew here. I tend to make enough dinner so that I can portion out a meal for work the next day, is this something you could do? I've also lost the weight whilst managing a chocolate shop so I know it's not always easy ;) but simply by the fact that you have brought it up means that you are aware and being accountable which is fantastic!

Loads of luck :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel. You can lose weight working in fast food - its the same as any other work environment. Make choices, be aware of how many calories you need and budget accordingly.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. Some environments are more contributive to one's goals than others. Nothing is equal.

joley, I understand your situation. My mom works in a restaurant. It's more than difficult for her to lose weight. No time for her to drive out. She can eat any foods in the restaurant but most of them are salty and greasy which do not help to curb one's appetite.

You are in a tough situation. Maybe tougher than other's so you have to work harder, be smarter to navigate your way. Not everyone is smart.

Fast food is probably superior to most work environment for losing weight. At my job we have a table where people fill it with chocolates, pastries, and anything else that people think someone might eat. We even have emails to make sure everyone on the team knows there is food available. Want 2 donuts for free? Go right ahead. We also sit at desks and aren't very active.

Compare that to fast food where you are on your feet all day and there is no free table of delicious foods.

Want to lose weight and eat fast food for lunch, no problem. Just look at the menu and order the most filling item for the least amount of calories that you enjoy. Then worry about the rest of the food you eat during the day (which is probably 2-3x what you ate for lunch).

And, as others noted, if you don't like the lunch option, then pack your lunch. I'd pack a lunch just for the savings (unless you get an excellent employee discount).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Only half an hour's lunch in eight hours? Is that even legal?

The solution is simple: take your own lunch.

Depending on the state they're not even legally required to give you a lunch. I worked years and years without ever taking a break or a lunch. 100% legal

WHAT? *boggles*

And that is supposedly a first-world country?

As we're not allowed to talk politics in the main forums, I'd be happy to continue this in a political forum, but am not aware of any.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Doesn't five guys offer a lettuce wrap option? If not and you want to eat there, have them make you a taco salad sort of deal. Lots of veggies and break up a couple patties and crumble over the salad. Packing your own lunch works too.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    This would be easy for me because I think FG's is extremely overrated and their fries are nasty.

When I worked at Cinnabon, I trained myself to not see Cinnabons as food. It worked. I never ate one the entire time I worked there. Never was really tempted either because I knew how horrifically awful they were caloriewise and this was long, long before I took my weight loss journey seriously. Just better to leave alone.

I did have better options close by and I would also bring I lunch.

My desk is next to my work's cafeteria, where it is professionally catered for breakfast and lunch. People ask me all the time how I can sit there and smell the waffles or whatever and not weigh 600 pounds from giving in. Again, I just don't see it as food really. I know that whatever they made is loaded to the brim with lard and cream (no joke) so not worth even considering as an option. I bring my own food 99.5% of the time and just don't let the thought enter my mind of eating the food in the cafeteria. Not worth it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I take a packed lunch every day. It takes me five minutes to prepare. Sandwich, apple, couple of Halos, yoghurt, protein bar, done. And way cheaper than the work cafeteria.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

Depending on the state they're not even legally required to give you a lunch. I worked years and years without ever taking a break or a lunch. 100% legal

WHAT? *boggles*

And that is supposedly a first-world country?

Individual states have lots of power.

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel. You can lose weight working in fast food - its the same as any other work environment. Make choices, be aware of how many calories you need and budget accordingly.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here. Some environments are more contributive to one's goals than others. Nothing is equal.

joley, I understand your situation. My mom works in a restaurant. It's more than difficult for her to lose weight. No time for her to drive out. She can eat any foods in the restaurant but most of them are salty and greasy which do not help to curb one's appetite.

You are in a tough situation. Maybe tougher than other's so you have to work harder, be smarter to navigate your way. Not everyone is smart.

Fast food is probably superior to most work environment for losing weight. At my job we have a table where people fill it with chocolates, pastries, and anything else that people think someone might eat. We even have emails to make sure everyone on the team knows there is food available. Want 2 donuts for free? Go right ahead. We also sit at desks and aren't very active.

Compare that to fast food where you are on your feet all day and there is no free table of delicious foods.

Want to lose weight and eat fast food for lunch, no problem. Just look at the menu and order the most filling item for the least amount of calories that you enjoy. Then worry about the rest of the food you eat during the day (which is probably 2-3x what you ate for lunch).

And, as others noted, if you don't like the lunch option, then pack your lunch. I'd pack a lunch just for the savings (unless you get an excellent employee discount).

Yeah, I'm lucky or unlucky that my workplace provides nothing. I don't think they even change the fountain water's filter regularly. It tastes funny. I have to carry in my own water.

Packing your lunch may or may not work for the OP. I don't know. But I can think of the scenario that it would not work for my mom. Everyone in her restaurant will likely give her freakish looks and comments, and she literally can't handle being different at all.

On the other hand I would thrive in a free food environment like yours. I'd save a bundle on foods. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

DITTO. This week I've resisted bagels and cream cheese, donuts and an entire taco bar.

Sticking to my packed lunch is one of the hardest things for me (I have a tough time saying no to the false economy of free food), but it really pays off in terms of sticking to my calorie goal.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I don't have any break at all for lunch, and I make it work.

I bring my food and often have to eat on the move but I make it happen. You can too. Try new things until you land on one that is helpful and sustainable for you.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

I get a half hour lunch in a 12.5hr shift and at Ieast a third of the time I don't even get to take it.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I teach, so I am lucky to eat my lunch while I am standing copying stuff, waiting for the bathroom! I get 30 min for lunch, but have to walk the students to lunch and then use the bathroom (wait in line!). I am lucky to have 15 minutes to eat!

I pack my lunches. On Sundays, my husband and I prep all of our lunches/snacks for the week. That way each night I pick what I want and then put it into my lunch bag. I spend about 5 min. each morning pre-logging the food I have packed, so I know how much wiggle room I may have for a treat in the teacher's room.

Just want to add that I work from 7 - 4:30 or so, later if we have meetings. Because I teach I do work at home as well - about 2 hours a night. I am also a mother and wife, and I am working toward my National Boards (much like taking a class). My daughter has sports engagements that I have to take her to because my husband works nights. I get the busy, we are all busy. Planning ahead and making time for meal planning is important, just like everything else in our lives takes planning and time!

I have worked in fast food before. No matter how good it is at first, smelling it ALL DAY LONG makes it very unappetizing after a while.
  • xxNatalieCxx
    xxNatalieCxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have worked at McDonald's for 3 years in August. I completely understand how tempting it is to grab fast food on your break and especially while it's free! Fortunately for me I work in a 2-story restraunt so I do a lot of walking! But from bringing my own lunches and going to the gym 4 times a week at least, I've lost 2 stone since working there so it is possible! Good luck :)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I can't make Five Guys fit while eating at a deficit without being hungry. Really a burger and fries from there is almost my whole day allowance. I cracked up when trying their "veggie" burger because of how ridiculous it was.

I vote for you to take food and get your willpower together. I know that's tough. Especially if you enjoy that food as much as I do. Would not be easy for me to be around food all day or a work shift.

I have read here that people who work at restaurants get sick of the food and don't want it. Maybe that will happen with time.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Self control and keep counting.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Because you work in fast food, does not mean you need to EAT fast food. Some of the time is fine for fast food but every day, its just not healthy...(imo)
    Time to get organised and prepare yourself lunches that you can take with you...
  • Rachelgettingleaner
    Rachelgettingleaner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've worked in food service for about 10 years now, and in my experience the food you serve dat in day out does eventually loose it's appeal, pretty much no matter what it is. Unless the menu changes seasonally or something, which I don't think 5guys does. So, not the most helpful right now :/ but, hopefully in a couple months you won't even crave that junk food you're around all day most of the time.
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yep you will have to prepare your own meals. And make it heavy enough that once you are done, you won't want to eat their food at all. I.e. in a 1800 calorie day, have a 800 calorie lunch and dinner+lunch= the remaining 1000.

Also drink lots of water. Chug a bottle of water before eating. And ask yourself if you are actually hungry or is it just appetite (the desire to eat vs the necessity).

Not just heavy enough but flavorful and appealing enough to override the temptation of a burger and fries. I imagine the novelty of working at a fast food joint and eating its food will wear off, though. But until the temptation subsides, make yourself a lunch you can't refuse.