best shoes for shin splints

Options
I am in need of new running shoes and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for good shoes for women that wont leave me with horrible shin splints as my arch is moderately high.Currently I run in reebok easy tones which are HORRIBLE ( xmas gift from hubby).

Replies

• gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Went to a couple of places and they all recommended Asics. I stll get them but not nearly as bad. I think some of it, for me anyway, is just not stretching enough.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    lol, us husbands are useless with useful xmas pressies!!!

I use NIKE EQUILON 4 running shoes that were fitted for me by a running gear shop. They have transformed my running experience and made it possible for me to enjoy my running!!
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    This hubby uses Nike FreeRun which I love my feet use to hurt constantly and after using them for running and my everyday work shoe I have no pain! Also had a pair of lunar glide from Nike they were cushioned nicely.
  • alissaanne
    alissaanne Posts: 34
    Options
    I have the same problem as well, and as I put on weight it was more of a problem. My trainer suggested Asics I love them and they have helped ALOT! My shins still get sore from time to time, but I also stop mid run to stretch out my ankles, shins and calves and the pain has lessened quite a bit. I hope this helps. :)
  • Imbiutiful
    Imbiutiful Posts: 39
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks for the suggestions, now I have a place to start!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    go to a running store, something like Fleet Feet, not Foot Locker. Any decent running store can watch your gait and determine if you over-pronate and give you several brands to try on to see what feels best. I spent around $90 on Nikes that were fitted, what I would have spent at Foot Locker and I knew that they were the right shoes for my feet.
  • hopeandj
    hopeandj Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I bought Asics gel blur 33's this time and I have not had any problems with my shins. BUT...I am also stretching more and I am not a heel striker anymore which I think is the key to not having shin splints. Good Luck!
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I also use Asics, they help but I still got shin splints for a while after getting them. At the running store where I was fitted they told me some exercises to do to help prevent shin splints. Sit and raise you foot off the floor and with the toe of your foot "write the alphabet in the air in front of you". Also, I know the Army suggests to the new recruits in basic training to walk around on your heels for about 10 minutes a day for a week to 10 days before shipping out to basic training. My son who all through high school suffered from shin splints while running and walking long distances did that and never has had a problem since.