Need to lose 40 lbs and get healthy again :)

Options
Hi everyone, I work in front of a computer all day so the weight has slowly been creeping on. I'm looking for motivated friends to help me on this journey with good advice and tips! Thanks! :)

Replies

• tinkerbell363
    tinkerbell363 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I weigh at 158. 73 pounds and I wish
    Want to reduce around 35 because I have put on this much weight in past 4 years.. The weight putting on process was really slow and happened mostly during my college days and is still continuing now when I have started working.
    I need to reduce around 35 pounds to get back in my original shape and fit in my old dresses..
    I am basically relying on yoga and some dvds to start with jillian michaels 30 day Shred....
  • Simonacookie
    Simonacookie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like ur off to a great start! I just moved and there's a great gym nearby. I was thinking of joining and I can go on my lunch breaks when I'm working from home. Still thinking about it though but I figure if I'm paying for a gym membership it will motivate me to go.
  • jimbigelow
    jimbigelow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. 2nd week of January I joined a work competition with 4 other guys. We all put 200 in and the one that loses the most percent wins. As of today I lost Fifty pounds using this app. Final weigh in tomorrow. Good luck with your goal.
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am at a desk all day too. It is a struggle to get and maintain weight loss when you sit down all day. Paying for the gym membership is one of the motivators for me to go. A couple of years back I lost about 40 lbs but gained most of it back because I didn't have the network. Trying to reset and regroup so I can get a network going for accountability and inspiration.
  • Simonacookie
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight in the past too but I was also working out at least 5 times a week and eating low carb high protein. The office life got to me though and those darn ladies bring in all those delicious sweets and cakes! Good luck and keep me posted on the progress!
  • Simonacookie
    Options
    jimbigelow wrote: »
    Hi. 2nd week of January I joined a work competition with 4 other guys. We all put 200 in and the one that loses the most percent wins. As of today I lost Fifty pounds using this app. Final weigh in tomorrow. Good luck with your goal.

I've heard that $ motivation works really well! Maybe I should find out if down of my co-workers want to do a similar plan. Thanks for the idea
  • sarodriguez372
    sarodriguez372 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some Julian Michaels DVDs as well. Lol I have a gym membership but my biggest problem is I work from home and get so caught up with my work I have a hard time getting out to the gym . I have always loved watching workout videos and gave workout right at home. Need to lose about 20 pounds and get my metabolism built back up again. Love any new friends
  • MrsQuinones132
    MrsQuinones132 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same here. Work long hours in front of a computer and weight has slowly crept on. I was able to maintain my weight before but required so much gym time. I have a membership I rarely use so going to try a find some DVD's and maybe I can do them with the kids so I dont have to be out another 2 hours a day after a long day at work. Any recommendations?
  • calinus
    calinus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What, and how much you eat is a bigger factor than workout. Workout is really important not only during a weight losing period for health reasons, but at any point in life. But eating habits are even more important (I'm a fitnes trainer if you were wondering-- so I believe in workouts). I'd say join the gym for a trial period, let's say six months, and count how many times you go. If you don't go enough, cut your losses and cancel the membership. Go for walks instead.
    Buy, or borrow from a library, "The new Atkins for a new you," read it and understand it, and try to get better eating habits. Last, invest in one of those convertible desktop stations, which allow you to work standing up, with a simple touch.
    They are totally worth it, and if you work for a company, they might be happy to invest in it, as they'll have less potential medical liabilities.
    Good luck!
  • neverfalter1992
    neverfalter1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need low impact with running results: cycling best way for you to loosebthebweight and without having worry of impact injury from running i lost 30 lbs thisbway
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I cycle too as I have dodge ankles so cannot do much running, side to side movement, etc etc :)
  • Simonacookie
    Options
    Thank you @calinus that's great advice! I was even thinking of buying one of those under the desk bike to do while I'm working for some extra calorie burning. I'm trying to do low carb high protein right now. I did that while in college and lost so much weight but as soon as I started eating carbs again it all came back so I will have to figure out how to make it a life long thing. I love the elliptical, is that better than bicycling?
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you have anywhere you can walk over lunch or on breaks? Even if it is just 10-15 minutes, it all counts. I try and do that when weather permits. I like bicycling, mainly because that I have a tendency to bang my knees on the eliptical (probably because of my height). The main thing though is to find something that you enjoy, otherwise it will be hard to keep up with. If you like the elliptical and it works for you then keep it up :smile: I think the low-carb/high-protein diet is a great way to kick start weight loss. And when you do eat carbs make sure it is the healthy ones and always in moderation
  • Simonacookie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I actually have woods and trails starting at the end of my street so I like walking/jogging with my hyper German Shepherd on my breaks when the weather is nice. I just want to make sure I'm getting my heart rate going so it's not all for nothing. I'm pretty short so no banging my knees on the elliptical problem here! Haha
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Absolutely focus on the food and not the exercise. You need to get a scale and weigh and track everything you eat. Exercise is great and you can build some muscle, but losing weight is done with the proper diet.

I too sit at a computer all day every day. My diary is open and you are obviously welcome to see what I eat and how I measure. I am not an low carb advocate. I don't think you need to starve yourself of anything just eat in moderation and stick to your calories. You are more likely to lose and stick with it.
  • esraad1989
    esraad1989 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same here .. 40 lbs shouldnt be so hard we can do it
  • abanek1
    abanek1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You will get there. Feel free to add me as a friend. I commute 3 hours a day. Have three kids and have lost about 60 pounds. It can be done
  • laura9400
    laura9400 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Trying to consistently workout at lunch and then again at home.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have an office job as well and sit at a computer all day. I started counting calories about 6 months ago and have lost 45 pounds so far with no exercise until two weeks ago when I bought an exercise bike. I'm starting exercise to build to be healthier and build strength and endurance.
  • avionicsman14
    avionicsman14 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Can count on my support!