Why.....stayed the same

Options
cottagegal1
cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
I had my first weight in on Friday and stayed the same, I feel I have been eating great stayed within my calories and did eat my exercise calories....was doing shred....so very frustrating, I am not sure if I should be eating my exercise calories, this is just so difficult for me I do not understand why I do not loose!!!!!

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    How is your water intake?
    Are you underestimating your food calories or overestimating your exercise calories?
    How is your sodium intake?
    Are you coming up on TOM?
    When do you weigh yourself?
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm also frustrated so looking forward to the responses you get. You might want to open your food diary to get specific advice, or at least show a "typical" day as far as food & exercise.
  • tefii
    tefii Posts: 31
    Options
    what's TOM?@ the real

Maybe it depends on what foods you are eating, for example wouldn't get the same loss from eating salads all week, as to eating beans and potatoes, or maybe theportions are whats getting you huge part of loosing weight is watching portions.
  • losinfat4ever
    Options
    Hi. I'm sorry no loss. Eating back all of your exercise calories is not for everyone. When u have a lot of weight to lose try eating half or three fourths just figure out how your body works. Lots of people who I am friends with can't eat the all back or they will gain. Make sure your calorie burn and consumption are as accurate as possible. Good job on the hard work and hopefully things will get in gear for ya
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Open diary if you want someone's opinin

About eating back exercise calories.... yes you should eat most of them. You want to ensure you eat at least 1200 calories net per day. Net = Calories consumed - exercise calories.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    what's TOM?

Time of Month
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have changed username just now .... I have also opened up diary sorry I thought it was, so please feel free check it out and see what you think and any suggestions please advise. I have been very diligent on the water portion.......thanks
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I never eat back all my exercise calories. I do wind up eating some of them, but since I exercise at night, I can't eat them all back. For me when I eat them all back, I maintain my weight.
  • losinfat4ever
    Options
    I never eat back all my exercise calories. I do wind up eating some of them, but since I exercise at night, I can't eat them all back. For me when I eat them all back, I maintain my weight.

I use a hrm and I gain if I eat all of mine
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I didnt lose any weight while doing the 30 day shred on the second week weigh in. I did however gain muscle and lost 1/2 an inch all over and 2 inches off the waist!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You diary is a bunch of quick add calories. you should put in what it is. I also noticed you dont track sodium. Do it i didnt lose weight because of my sodium, I was having high sodium soups a lot one week and that was what i changed to get the scale to move.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just checked out your diary and it's really hard to say because you didn't record your weekend eating... I know I can "think" I ate pretty well but sometimes the portions are bigger than we realize or that extra snack or drink (or 2 or 3) puts us over the edge. Even if you can't get on the computer on the weekends, at least write everything down and then update your diary on Monday. This is how I do it and it keeps me much more mindful of my eating on the weekends.

Also, I'd recommend adding sodium to your food diary. As women, a little extra sodium and not enough water can derail you for a day or three, especially restaraunt and prepared foods.

P.S. As far as exercise calories go, if you're going by what MFP gives you for calories burned, it's very likely an overestimate so try eating just half or 2/3rds and see if that helps. If you're using a heart rate monitor with chest strap, you should be getting a fairly accurate count but maybe still try to not eat every calorie.

One more thought - when I first started, 1 pound per week didn't give me enough wiggle room for estimates. Maybe try changing to 1.5 pounds per week - that way if you do go over a bit, it won't derail you. Got this idea from how the old Weight Watchers points were set up...
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    Sometimes people lose weight more slowly at the beginning until your metabolism catches up to the new plan. When I started, I think I lost half a pound a week for the first month or so even though I was set to lose 1 pound a week by MFP. After that, my body got the memo, and I started losing more reliably. It's been nearly 5 months now, and I'm at my goal weight (23 pounds down). Don't give up!
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    After viewing your diary, I would say you need to keep track of sodium for sure. Just like Nay Shel said, even though you *think* you ate pretty well, it doesn't always turn out so. On some days you are great with your water but other days you only get in 3 glasses etc. So I would suggest drinking more - you will notice that it helps a lot. Also get a HRM. I found out that I was burning more/less than MFP said and that changed how much I was eating and the calories I gained back etc. Good luck and don't get discouraged!
  • jennyrowell
    jennyrowell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That happened to me!!!

So the next week I tried only eating 1/2 of my exercise cal. burned or none(depending on if I was hungry or not).
    Just hang in there!! This will happen often in our journeys!! Our bodies are so crazy and have minds of their own sometimes!! Keep up the great work!!!

8435145.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • RSO206
    RSO206 Posts: 39
    Options
    Your doing awesome! There will be weeks when you dont see the scale move but im sure you lost a little on measurements. I tend to eat back half of my burnt cals. However I see plenty of people that eat them all back and have had great success. One thing I make sure is that what im eating back are healthy cals. IE: Fiber, lean protiens, healthy fats such as a lot of peanuts..ect.. Keep on going your doing great!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You have been given some great advice already. Its early days yet, just know that you are on the right track to better health. The exercise is making you stronger. And I hate to say it but at our age things happen a bit slower, give your body a chance to catch with you. Just try to make sure you are eating the healthiest choices you can make 80% of the time. Need 20% for fun times.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    sorry about the disappointment. Do keep on with your good eating and exercise, and do eat those exercise calories--but choose wisely--clean foods, fruits, veggies, yogurt, peanut butter--not cupcakes and McDonalds (not that you did that, I'm just giving an example).

It is really important to eat exercise calories. Any athlete, or any fit person who has proven experience losing and/or maintaining a healthy weight for a period of years is the type of person you need to ask. And they will tell you that they eat their exercise calories.

Often people who have a lot to lose and who have just begun exercising will eat fewer calories and lose some weight . . . for a while. There are of course, people who lose weight without exercising. However, at some point you must realize it is better to be fit at any given weight than it is to be unfit at a lower weight. Also, people who don't eat back their exercise calories WILL plateau and/or gain, once they deprive their bodies of the needed fuel for a period of time. Then they may become discouraged, give in and binge, and gain more weight. If they do it again the next time, same thing, diet, exercise, starve, plateau, binge, gain, give up--the vicious cycle leaves them bitter and overweight, still.

There are literally hundreds of overweight people out there complaining that they are not eating anything. Complaining that they are keeping to 800 (or whatever) calories per day! they are exercising! they can't lose! and that is why.

Here is a great explanation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

In order to become fit, increase your muscle mass, decrease your body fat, and most importantly, MAINTAIN your weight loss and fitness level, you must eat the exercise cals.

Chin up, do it again this week and you will see results.

blessings.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!