Why doesnt strength training count towards calories burned ?

Options
When I add strength training to my exercise section. It doesn't add to my calories burned . Why is that the case? I'm sure calories,are burned during those exercises too. More muscles =more calories burned .

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You have to add "weight training" as a cardio exercise to get it to increase calories burned.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different calorie burn numbers for strength training so I would pick a more conservative amount to add if you plan to eat any back. I have also see people talk more than they workout so its a crapshoot at best.
  • scott12b
    scott12b Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. Appreciate the help. Big difference when you do 2 hrs lifting and 1 hr cardio.
  • bwellgirl
    bwellgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT which is a combo of weights and cardio - very few of the exercises/movement are listed and I guarantee that I burn more calories at that for one hour than my one hour hatha yoga class!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn that much unfortunately. I think it's easier to add it to your activity level rather than counting individual workouts. But as stated, you can add "strength training" via the cardio section for an estimate.
  • scott12b
    scott12b Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put on my headphones and talk very little cause I do some forms of cardio in between each set .and 30 minutes cardio before and after workout . Treadmill before...arc trainer after
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you're doing cardio between each set, then you're really doing more circuit training than strength training.

Yup. Use the "circuit training" option in the database.