Insanity Calories too much?

yanaho
yanaho Posts: 4
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I am new, using mfp to help count calories.

I have started Beach Body Insanity and according to the nutrition guide, to stay at my current weight (not trying to lose or gain, just tone), the formula's say I need to consume 3600 calories a day.

I have tried all week to eat this much but can barely seem to break 2500 eating healthy foods.

Can anyone help? Does the recommended amount seem excessive or about right?

Thanks!

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Hmm...I have a friend who was doing isanity and not losing weight, I'm wondering if they were misunderstanding the caloric intake too.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Hi, I am new, using mfp to help count calories.

I have started Beach Body Insanity and according to the nutrition guide, to stay at my current weight (not trying to lose or gain, just tone), the formula's say I need to consume 3600 calories a day.

I have tried all week to eat this much but can barely seem to break 2500 eating healthy foods.

Can anyone help? Does the recommended amount seem excessive or about right?

Thanks!

What's your age, weight, and height? Let's check the math.
  • yanaho
    Age 33
    weight 220
    height 6'3
  • pyro13g
    Age 33
    weight 220
    height 6'3

Beachbody spit out

"The figures below are estimates of the number of calories you should eat every day in order to maintain your current weight or to reach your goal.

To Reach Your Goal: 2918 Maintain weight: 2768

We recommend: Balanced Slim Down at the 2700 calorie level with 200 added calories.

Did you know that Club members can take advantage of our healthy and delicious meal plans? Team Beachbody makes it easy to plan everything you're going to eat."

freedieting.com 5 times a week for exercise:

Maintenance:
    2970 Calories/day
    Fat Loss:
    2376 Calories/day
    Extreme Fat Loss:
    1782 Calories/day

5 times a week intense(whatever they consider intense)

Maintenance:
    3147 Calories/day
    Fat Loss:
    2518 Calories/day
    Extreme Fat Loss:
    1888 Calories/day

If you were doing P90X the nutrition guide would put you at 3000.

3600 sounds pretty high.

2900 sounds like a better load to try and see how it goes.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    hm, using the Insanity calculations and putting you at moderately active I got you should actually be eating more than that. But yes, according to the nutritional guidelines they want you to eat more to have enough fuel for your body because this is such a high intensity workout. IMO, as long as you have enough energy I wouldn't worry about whether you can reach the exact number or not, jsut be aware of the fact that you need to eat a bit more.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I don't change my calorie calculations when I change workout programs. I have kept doing what I've been doing across programs and it seems to work just fine. Of course mention that I only eat 1500 calories while doing either P90X or Insanity on the BB website message boards and I get flamed...
  • pyro13g
    hm, using the Insanity calculations and putting you at moderately active I got you should actually be eating more than that. But yes, according to the nutritional guidelines they want you to eat more to have enough fuel for your body because this is such a high intensity workout. IMO, as long as you have enough energy I wouldn't worry about whether you can reach the exact number or not, jsut be aware of the fact that you need to eat a bit more.

that's the problem with the Insanity calculation. It uses a factor that blows things out of whack when applied to a calorie load vs actually using what a person will actually burn doing the program.

The Insanity calculator puts me at 2927 which is crazy. And over 300 calories too much for what I burn doing Insanity and put's me on track to gain .58 pounds per week.
  • yanaho
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I think Insanity is currently a bit too much and am currently sticking with p90x.

As for the calories, I guess I will just eat as much as I can, as it seems to be around 2500 calories no matter what I stuff my face with.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.