Open diary to public?

Options
For the first time on mfp, making my diary public. It isn't pretty. Or consistent, or especially accurate in the past.
But I've got a digital scale now!
How about you? Do you prefer to keep diary open or private? What have you experienced- positive/negative?

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Private. I sometimes didn't log bc I basically ate the same stuff daily, then get sick of it and move onto different foods the next week. It looked as if I wasn't logging/eating enough, when I was just too tired to log after a long workout.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Open, I don't care what people think.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and I look for others with open diaries so I can get new food ideas. =)
  • DeanQuinto
    DeanQuinto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    can you search others open random diaries from the app itself from the phone?
  • georgeis5
    georgeis5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new to this MFP but what a great idea being able to share diary details. I've done so many different weight loss programmes and always thought it would be good to share when someone has success what they actually consume but whenever I suggested this people seem to become secretive - most odd reaction in my opinion - if something works well then share it with others. How does it work being able to see what others do ?
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private. I don't use a food scale, and in the past when I'd ask a question, I'd immediately get crucified for my "inaccurate logging". I lost 70lbs using MFP without a food scale, I'm fairly sure I can do it again. Of course if I encounter an issue, I'd look into getting one.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Private, because it's nobody's business but my own what I eat
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Private, because it's nobody's business.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Mine is open because I just don't really care. I know what I'm logging and what my numbers are. It doesn't matter what other people are seeing in my diary because the scale is going in the direction I want it to go.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think mine is open: but I really don't care either way. I log because it keeps me consistent and honest: if someone is going to judge you based on what you put into your body that day: you DO NOT want them on your journey.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Private, because it's nobody's business but my own what I eat

^^Ditto this.
    I don't need the advice or aggravation (both of which I got plenty of which was unsolicited) from people, when my diary was open.
    I managed to lose over 1/2 my current body weight and have kept it off for over two years. I guess I am doing ok.
    I have been on MFP for over 4 years and never once felt the need to know what other people were eating.
    I got plenty of healthy recipes, tips, and ideas from a lot of different web sites, which everyone has access to.

It has been my experience that you have to find out what works, and is successful for you, it is not the same for everyone.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My diary is public. I don't care if people look or not. I'm not perfect but I'd like people who do look to see that it is possible to lose/maintain without undereating, meal replacement shakes, supplements or ultra restrictive dieting.
    I have gotten only 1 comment from a friend and 1 private message asking me a question about my diary in over a year. Neither was negative.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have my diary public, but I'm considering making it private because I've been getting some mean comments about it and I ain't got time fo dat.
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of making mine public. I love looking into other people's diaries to get meal and snack ideas!
  • WeoooBeans
    WeoooBeans Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because I really don't care what people think about what I eat.
  • Doit4theOMG
    Doit4theOMG Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get rid of those people that will judge. You don't need them.
    I like open diaries because I like trying new foods and might help give people ideas if they're not sure on what to eat
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I like to look and see what other people are eating. It helps me get ideas, but I would never say anything to anyone about their diary without them asking for input
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Open. It makes me log accurately if I think someone might be looking at my diary...
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only. Even without it being public I have gotten unsolicited advice from comments I have posted on here. It cracked me up because a newbie was telling me I wouldn't lose weight doing what I was doing even though I had lost 30 lbs at that point. She finally admitted she knew nothing and was going off what friends and the internet told her. Ppl are ridiculous and I have zero patience for that bull honkey!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to the public.

With any luck, the amount of fat I eat might scare someone or something.